WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Chlorine Dioxide , espite having chlorine in it uses a completely different method of disinfection than straigth chlorine so the warning about toxoplasmosis may or may not be valid for AM.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    If one carries a liter of water as the AM works, and one "done" liter to drink from immediatly, doesn't that largely kill the weight advantage?
    Not really.

Most people fill at least one, maybe two water bottles at a source, and continue on their way. Regardless of method used. With AM , you just have to wait 20 min before drinking one of them, instead of starting to drink right away. And we are only talking about "questionable" sources too for many.

In reality, it can be less time than screwing around with pumps anyway.

Now if your strategy is to drink up at sources, and only carry minimal water to the next source, then yes you will probably carry more wt for a little while, OR hang out and drink before leaving.

It's a non-issue. Most thru hikers do perfectly well with water management while using Aqua Mira. Will it guarantee you'll never run dry on occasion? Certainly not, but that's the exception not the rule.

I read that this infection is prevalent in Immune deficient patients, I have no risk factors for Immune deficiency. I do wonder, however that for the last month of my hike I was very depleted and was getting weaker rather than stronger, not emaciated but certainly as skinny as I would ever want to be. I would guess that this would lower a persons immune system but I dont know. Unfortunately I delayed seeing an opthalmologist as I believed it was a cataract and I was out of state skiing all winter - not so convenient to take care of such matters when you are away from home.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I carry two 500ml bottles on my ULA shoulder straps, an empty 1L Platy, and an Antigravity Gear 1gal water bag my pack. Usually only have one L of water on me, and I try to fill one bottle as soon as I empty one.

LDawg
    http://bit.ly/LDawg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Peakbagger, Do you know that Chlorine dioxide will kill the parasite, I read that city water treatments do not kill it.

Steripen, water that's ready in 90 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    Peakbagger, Do you know that Chlorine dioxide will kill the parasite, I read that city water treatments do not kill it.
    T. gondii are highly resistant to chlorine disinfection and can survive even higher concentrations found in finished drinking water systems.

In other words, it's a bad arse little bugger.
    Last edited by Spokes; 04-25-2012 at 13:03.

I carry a Steripen and AM as backup (re-packaged in smaller, lighter droppers). If I was to ever run into a really questionable water source I might use both. I love the Steripen for the immediate drink ability and I actually like tasting the water I am drinking, I feel like that is sort of part of the experience of experiencing new places. Also sometimes I will double zap the water if I think it is questionable, no idea if that is needed or not but it makes me feel better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In questions about water treatment here at WB, the use of Aqua Mira is widely suggested. However, I don't recall many comments about the logistics of its use for an AT Thru Hike. For those who have used this product:

1. Do you use drops or tablets?
    2. How available is this at resupply stops? Did you find it necessary to do mail drops?
    3. If not relying on mail drops, how much do you need to carry to be sure you can make it to the next supply point?
    4. The answer to the previous question would partly be based on how much water you need to treat. Assuming you don't drink untreated water, how much water do you plan on treating per day on average?
    5. Do you treat your cooking water?
    6. I have seen various dose and treatment times recommended based on the source of the water and bugs you need to treat. Do you use these various recommendations, or just the standard treatment instructions.

TIA for the input.
    Drops
    put in resupply
    you don't need to treat water you boil or get from a "good" spring
    if I'm not boiling it, I treat it (cooking water)
    You can do twice the dose for half the time, or half the dose for twice the time. I reduce the dose to half for overnight treatment
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++