WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

I bought a pair of OZARK TRAIL hiking boots at WalMart just to get me 50 miles to my next mail drop with my good hiking shoes in it....they fell apart at the 27 mile mark. I would have been better off hiking in my crocs.

geek

Silnylon rain suit with no zips...what the hell was I thinking????

a magnum condom,a friend told me they make good emergency water carrier.never used it for water but it makes one hell of a hulla hoop if you cut the center out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    odd that when a "Made in China" product is recalled it is because it's Made in China but when an American (or Aussie...) product is, it has nothing to do with the country of origin.
    Franco
    As a kid the crappy toys all had made in China vs Tonka and few others... That was 45 years ago... Look at how far a farming culture can go. Now its hard to find any gear that doesn't say made in China... This is why its so important to support cottage companies right here when possible.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    Silnylon rain suit with no zips...what the hell was I thinking????
    I guessing Pit Zips - A couple of years ago we had a cool thread of dual use stuff ideas and Poncho was a clear winner. People tend to forget how much we perspire when getting drenched - Hense when I started this thread - I thought a Event Cap was a good idea... it was aweful.

Here's my Sil Sea to Summit Poncho

dscn0874.jpg
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    a magnum condom,a friend told me they make good emergency water carrier.never used it for water but it makes one hell of a hulla hoop if you cut the center out.

That's the funniest line so far.

Coleman F1 Lantern along with many other items I purchased and never end up using !
    My name is Greg and I think I am becoming a gram weenie !

trowel, never use, pointless. Left in a hiker box

Pocket chainsaw, heavy and exhausting. I keep warm from the effort put into using it. No camp fire needed.

I didn't have much money when I first started, and didn't think to check online reviews for things. Brands to avoid: Campmor, Gander Mountain, Slumberjack. Slumberjack may not be awful, but they sure as hell lie on their temperature ratings. Ended up having to buy just about everything twice.

Eureka and Columbia are the only "cheap" brands that make good gear that I've found so far.

One thing about getting older is having a closet full of stuff that is hard to justify having spent money on. I tend to blame advancing technology and an expanding waistline.

I was in a store once and two guys were looking at collapsable fishing poles. The older guy says to the younger one who was eyeing a small lightweight one, "Son, if you want one of those I will give you directions to the bush I threw mine into yesterday." I left out the more colorful language.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Black Diamond z-poles. Broke before 30 miles, and BD wouldn't do a thing about it, told me UL equipment wasn't built to stand up to use.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Black Diamond z-poles. Broke before 30 miles, and BD wouldn't do a thing about it, told me UL equipment wasn't built to stand up to use.
    That was one of the worst pieces of gear I DIDN'T buy. I've got regular weight black diamond poles and love them, but the z-poles arent built to stand up to trail use.

To make matters worse, the elastic that holdsthe pole sections together doesn't work right in cold conditions. I hiked with someone who brought a pair of these to the whites last winter, when he took them out to use them in single digit temperatures, the poles happily maintained their "Z" shape - worthless in those conditions.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 on slumberjack

Whats wrong with Campmor?

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl:1337629
    +1 on slumberjack

Whats wrong with Campmor?
    Maybe the Campmor brand items. I've purchased a few Campmor brand clothing items like pants that fell apart really fast.

Journal Entries
    Images

Interesting,,,, OK

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by sublimety View Post
    Pocket chainsaw, heavy and exhausting. I keep warm from the effort put into using it. No camp fire needed.
    Yeah, I have one of these. It's basically a 3 foot long chainsaw "blade" with rings on each each end just large enough to get one finger through. You have to be a superman to pull it back and forth. It came in a nice canvas case.

I bought it in 1983, but can't seem to let go of it. Anyone want it for, well, you name the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Small one man tent --- Not a good ideal if you 6'2" and weigh 300lb

Easton trekking pokes. I bought their cheaper ones & knew they would be a bit heavier, etc. They both bent with normal use (no throwing, falling, ice axe use, weaponizing, etc.). They advertise a lifetime guarantee but wouldn't replace or repair them when they got to the point of having a pronounced bend after less than a year.

Images

marmot precip rainhat. i have bad luck with hats. bought this one for my maine sobo section hike,way too hot . ended up buying a canvas baseball hat at abol bridge.
    anybody want it, send me a pm.it might make a great water carrier.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++