WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

On a Martha-Stewart-would-call-it-a-good-thing moment, I bought a complete set of MSR backcountry kitchen implements-- S/P shaker, pasta strainer, spatula, serving spoon, etc. I've never used half of those things, and seriously doubt any hiker would. Even car campers would find them pointless!
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Dude get off my back. Lighten up. I own a slumberjack. It's huge heavy comfy and absolutley petfect for cruising on my sailboat, hiking not at all good. All I have been doing is cracking jokes and ranting a little, you have been calling out insults from the top of your ol tree. GFYS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    HM it is funny... sad at the same time... somebody recommend a slumberjack.... Please/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    trowel, never use, pointless. Left in a hiker box
    Oh man, I have one of those. Some one here said it was for AYCE hiker feeds

Journal Entries
    Images

American Eureka Solitaire
    All the poles broke.
    David Smolinski

+1 Osprey bladder and hose. Terrible. Leaked awful, a common complaint, and I replaced it with a Platypus, which was fine, and with that I ditched the hose. If you need to drink, stop for a minute, take your pack off, catch your breath, cool down, and drink. If you're in such a hurry that you can't relax while you drink your water...hell, you probably work hard enough sucking through that hose to offset the benefits of stopping and drinking. Gatorade/ Powerade 32 oz. bottles, all you need.

Images

Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy Sack - unless you like sleeping in an clammy steam bath

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 2011 View Post
    +1 Osprey bladder and hose. Terrible. Leaked awful, a common complaint, and I replaced it with a Platypus, which was fine, and with that I ditched the hose. If you need to drink, stop for a minute, take your pack off, catch your breath, cool down, and drink. If you're in such a hurry that you can't relax while you drink your water...hell, you probably work hard enough sucking through that hose to offset the benefits of stopping and drinking. Gatorade/ Powerade 32 oz. bottles, all you need.
    I do both...Last thing I want to do is clean a platy.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I finally remembered! A WW II vintage British army packboard. An aluminum monster of unparalleled discomfort. Anyone else remember those?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Stumbling along a path to a trail I'll never find

A partial list, some of it I still have....blush.
    Mid 1970s, a 3 dayer into Big Run in SNP.....trying to impress my son with my vast knowledge of the great outdoors.
    The hike in was down from Skyline Drive but carrying all this junk back up and out nearly killed me.
    Aforementioned by someone yellow plastic egg carton, candle lantern, flashlight with extra D cell batteries.
    Nesting aluminum pots...light but too big for packing and hard to clean.
    Coleman single burner “back packing” stove....would have been better off bringing my orange, folding steel Sterno stove instead.
    Coleman whateverwaslayingaroundforinsulation sleeping bags....big & heavy.
    Vinyl beach blow up mattresses.
    J.C.Penny summer vented tent..no fly.
    Blue enamel coffee pot.
    Chukka shoes for around camp. It is amazing how quickly the heavy soft crepe soles of these things will melt and stick to the hot grate of a brand new Coleman stove when the first time operator has a flame up and the only thought which comes to mind to put it out is to stomp on it. The flaming stove will come off after a couple kicks of increasing intensity motivated by panic. My son was very impressed and watching me hop around he learned several new oaths he'd not heard before.
    11 inch Wagner griddle....because “nothing tastes as good in the great outdoors as bacon and eggs fried on a cast iron skillet.” I forget where I heard that.
    I justified carrying it because of the weight I saved by not bringing along too much cotton clothing.
    Or the later needed rain poncho I'd left in the car.

I'm too old and run down to do much hiking anymore but each fall my son and I go up to the Blue Ridge camping and fly fishing. Around the campfire sipping a glass of local wine invariably that trip comes up and we still get a couple of good laughs out of it even after all these years.......but we still cook using the aluminum pots, skillet and blue enamel coffee pot.
    "Experience - that thing you only get immediately after you needed it."

Back in the day... ECWCS Gen I "bear suit." Dat itch

Images

l'd just like to say that despite it not being "ultralight" I love my single wall stainless steel mug (with lid) that I got for $1.00 from a Salvation Army shop.
    I've even made it its own pot cozie!!

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    l'd just like to say that despite it not being "ultralight" I love my single wall stainless steel mug (with lid) that I got for $1.00 from a Salvation Army shop.
    I've even made it its own pot cozie!!
    Bought one of those. After wasting a lot of fuel and time waiting for the water to heat, I came to the realization it must be double wall...never did get that water to boil.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Bought one of those. After wasting a lot of fuel and time waiting for the water to heat, I came to the realization it must be double wall...never did get that water to boil.
    Mine makes soup or coffee beautifully. Sits perfectly on the Evernew stove set.
    I can't think of anything that didn't at least serve the function I bought it for at the time.
    Many, many things have now been replaced by better/lighter etc.
    I think my wife has bought me about 15 bug headnets by now though. I have at least 6 or 7 still in their wrapping.
    Funny thing is, if she is in the vicinity the mosquitoes all bite her and I get away scot free!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy Sack - unless you like sleeping in an clammy steam bath
    Ouch, I like my coffin.

Synthetic Sleeping Bag.

Journal Entries
    Images

finger ring wood saw....or wire saw.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyu View Post
    A partial list, some of it I still have....blush.
    Mid 1970s, a 3 dayer into Big Run in SNP.....trying to impress my son with my vast knowledge of the great outdoors.
    The hike in was down from Skyline Drive but carrying all this junk back up and out nearly killed me.
    Aforementioned by someone yellow plastic egg carton, candle lantern, flashlight with extra D cell batteries.
    Nesting aluminum pots...light but too big for packing and hard to clean.
    Coleman single burner “back packing” stove....would have been better off bringing my orange, folding steel Sterno stove instead.
    Coleman whateverwaslayingaroundforinsulation sleeping bags....big & heavy.
    Vinyl beach blow up mattresses.
    J.C.Penny summer vented tent..no fly.
    Blue enamel coffee pot.
    Chukka shoes for around camp. It is amazing how quickly the heavy soft crepe soles of these things will melt and stick to the hot grate of a brand new Coleman stove when the first time operator has a flame up and the only thought which comes to mind to put it out is to stomp on it. The flaming stove will come off after a couple kicks of increasing intensity motivated by panic. My son was very impressed and watching me hop around he learned several new oaths he'd not heard before.
    11 inch Wagner griddle....because “nothing tastes as good in the great outdoors as bacon and eggs fried on a cast iron skillet.” I forget where I heard that.
    I justified carrying it because of the weight I saved by not bringing along too much cotton clothing.
    Or the later needed rain poncho I'd left in the car.

I'm too old and run down to do much hiking anymore but each fall my son and I go up to the Blue Ridge camping and fly fishing. Around the campfire sipping a glass of local wine invariably that trip comes up and we still get a couple of good laughs out of it even after all these years.......but we still cook using the aluminum pots, skillet and blue enamel coffee pot.
    That is so funny...cause its so familiar

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow mind View Post
    Dude get off my back. Lighten up. I own a slumberjack. It's huge heavy comfy and absolutley petfect for cruising on my sailboat, hiking not at all good. All I have been doing is cracking jokes and ranting a little, you have been calling out insults from the top of your ol tree. GFYS
    Slow mind - I went out of my way a few years ago to take my son backpacking and I saved over five months "at the time" precious dollars and bought $79 dollars each...Slumberjacks (lite).... ! I honestly felt taken advantage of, (I was clueless) they sucked - and when I called the so called customer service - they were awefull!

I am not a dude and if I want to "lighten up" I have a headlamp for that. That means "I am a little sarcastic"

Everyone is with a "little" opinion, As a group we need to have that, its social. take it with a grain of salt.... there must be a reason.... If ya don' agree - it's OK! This was not about U, I agree we are Oil and Water. Not a biggie... I will accept going forward I will tone it down with you....

If you are unhappy with this explanation feel free to PM and lets work together.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    remember the pup tents where each guy carried a half and the 8lb cotton sleeping bags.
    I do remember those..they were standard issue when I was in the Army.

finger ring wood saw....or wire saw.

had one of those too. I must have been bored out of my mind...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++