WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question about dry/stuff sacks

So, I recently got my first down bag. It's a Marmot Sawtooth 15. It packs down into the stuff sack that came with it but, from what I understand, it may be a good idea to get a dry sack for it since down loses its insulating quality if wet. My question is what size I should go with and what brand? Is there any real benefit to E-vent bags for a sleeping bag? Also, should I get one that doesn't pack it as small as it can get so I don't lose loft? It will be going in my Granite Gear Meridian Vapor and there's not a lot of room in there.
    Also, what size sack to you guys/gals use for food? I have been using an old sleeping bag's sack for years but it's seen better days and it's time to pick up a new food bag. Thanks!

I use an E-Vent compression sack with my down bag. In my mind it is very important for it to be in a dry bag. If I fall into water in freezing temps the first thing I'm going to do is strip down and get into my bag... Making sure that it is dry no matter what happens is a safety concern.

I like to compress my sleeping bag, and don't mind the risk of losing loft. I've heard of people who claim there is no truth in bags losing loft while compressed and even store them compressed indefinitely. I do not recommend that as I do believe that will reduce loft... But that just goes to show that a couple days (weeks, months) in a compression sack isn't guaranteed to ruin a bag like some would have you believe.

So for the E-Vent bag is waterproof, and compressible... So it is perfect. The E-Vent bottom makes compressing really easy as well.

Just look up the size of the stuff sack that came with the sleeping bag and buy the same size in whatever bag you choose. For me that was 15L.

I have two E-vent compresion sacks and used neither...they're too heavy. I use a Granite Gear compression sack, size Small.

Images

Forget the cost of a dry sack. The light ones get punctured very easily, the strong ones are heavy. Just get a plastic trash bag, line the stuff sack with it, and you're good to go swimming. It's really tough to get a packed sleeping bag wet. They are almost exclusively vulnerable when they are unpacked and in use, and even then they do not grab water and suck it in.

Use caution, don't do stupid things like sleeping in a puddle, and your down bag will stay dry and warm. Air it out occasionally - it will get more wet from body moisture than from rain.

The 3 dry-sack assortment from Wallyworld, while maybe not the lightest option, is a good deal. I use the large size for my sleeping bag. I could use a smaller size, but the bigger sack lets me flatten it out in the bottom of my pack so it actually uses the space more effectively.

I use another large size for my food bag. If you need to hang your food bag in the rain, it's nice to have the food in a water tight sack.

I use one of the mid sized bags as a water bag. I sew on a nylon strap to use as a handle. Since one often has to go a ways down hill to find water, it's a good idea to be able to carry enough back so you only need to make the trip once.

I really haven't found a good use for the small sacks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I have two E-vent compresion sacks and used neither...they're too heavy. I use a Granite Gear compression sack, size Small.
    Five ounces is too heavy? I suppose in a true UL pack that may be true... For me it's worth the weight to keep my bag dry and compact though. To each his own.

I typically use the Sea to Summit Ulta-sil stuff sac (8L) for my 20 deg down bag.
    http://www.rei.com/product/777725/se...a-sil-dry-sack

If volume is an issue, I will use a compression sack from Granite Gear (10L):
    http://www.rei.com/product/807788/gr...ession-drysack

Given the amount of rain I will probably encounter on the AT, I probably also use a lightweight packliner as well:
    http://lawsonequipment.com/Pack-Line...-2pk-p956.html

Journal Entries

Zpacks has cuben drysacks, less than 1oz.
    With a bit of trouble due the airtightness, but you can roll the drysak down to whatever size you choose.
    I normally pack my bag/quilt loose in the bottom of my pack liner
    But, I will put it into a drysak and squeeze down if I need the room.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I use Sea to Summit UL dry bags.
    13L for my sleeping bag.
    13L for food
    8L for clothes

I started with a trash compactors bag on my thru last year. That eventually started leaking at the bottom seam so I tried a garbage bag but that didn't last long. The I went with the dry bags and continue using them today.

And yes, like any other piece of light weight gear you have to be careful with them. The only time I got a hole in one was when I tore my food bag on a nail in a shelter. I carry Tenacious Tape for small repairs.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Thanks for the input everyone. On a related note, do you find that lining your pack with a trash bag keeps more moisture in or out? I feel like it might be kind of self-defeating as opposed to using a pack cover.

I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack. It's white, which makes it easier to see and it's heavy-duty, so it won't rip as easily as a regular trash bag.

Basically, I put the compactor bag in, then stuff in my quilt, pad and sleeping clothes. Then I crunch it down and twist it shut. Double the 'tail' and use a ponytail holder to keep it shut (stronger than a rubber band). Everything else (the non-critical gotta-keep-it-dry stuff) goes into big ziplocks or stuff sacks on top of that.

I use a pack cover too.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I just used dry bags as stated in post #9.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

++ New Posts ++