WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

:banana Worst Gear you ever bought - Informal Poll.

Well we did this a few years ago and I saw the mileage in this and hey we can all learn from others mistakes so post what you hate and why....

Here's an example.... the EMS System Three Hat "trucker style" with event as the fabric...

Why? all the sweat stays inside. no matter if its hot cold or rain.

pEMS1-6640662venh.jpgSo lets get into it! The funny stuff is welcome.... Get your gear on!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

a SnowPeak titanium dinner plate. *** was I thinking. $15-20. Popped in a microwave dinner to drown my sorrows of the money I just spent and it turns out the Healthy choice steamers bowl/plate is fantasticly FREE at .9 ounces! Yep, that snow peak went back to the store the next day

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well we did this a few years ago and I saw the mileage in this and hey we can all learn from others mistakes so post what you hate and why....

Here's an example.... the EMS System Three Hat "trucker style" with event as the fabric...

Why? all the sweat stays inside. no matter if its hot cold or rain.

pEMS1-6640662venh.jpgSo lets get into it! The funny stuff is welcome.... Get your gear on!
    That is crazy realavent!...last Friday I bought a nylon hat from EMS to replace my gortex camo hat that I've had for years and just got to gross.But I'll be returning the new hat because it comes down about 3/4 over the tops of my ears.At first I thought,well maybe this was by design to keep those ear tops from burning...but really couldn't get my head around it. and So.....it's gotta go!shame I really like this one.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rafter C - can you imagine I was at REI today and there is more crazy lite stuff to look at and the Titanium cups are out of stock.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I got a cute little one-shoulder-strap day-pack thing that seemed like a good idea at the time but when I took it out for a spin it really put a strain on just one shoulder. (Duh.) On my way back from the hike I had a wreck and totalled my car and actually tried to leave it in the wreckage, but a well-meaning firefighter fished it out for me and I couldn't ask him to put it back.
    We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anyone tell you any different!
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by WhiplashEm View Post
    I got a cute little one-shoulder-strap day-pack thing that seemed like a good idea at the time but when I took it out for a spin it really put a strain on just one shoulder. (Duh.) On my way back from the hike I had a wreck and totalled my car and actually tried to leave it in the wreckage, but a well-meaning firefighter fished it out for me and I couldn't ask him to put it back.
    That's pretty darn funny!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My first backpack - an cheap external frame pack from Campmor, hurt like crazy

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

titanium knife, fork and spoon set for winter use. eventually stuffed them in my sons stocking for Christmas.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Goretex type rain pants that were both zip off and had an elastic and velcro waist band. No matter how the were adjusted the elastic and velcro caused the waistband to ride down to underneath my hip-belt and chafe.

These were bought prior to my first A.T. backpacking trip. After that first hike I haven't worn 3 season rain pants again.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I just asked my GF she said our 8 lb two person REI "backpacking" tent.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    I just asked my GF she said our 8 lb two person REI "backpacking" tent.
    An 8 lb. tent? Shouldkve brought wood and nails instead?
    My biggest mistake was a plastic tube tent. In addition to being dangerous (like sleeping with a plastin bag over your head), we sweated like we were wrapped in Saran wrap.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Alcohol stove - bought at Trail Days from the manufacturer at a discount, got home and experimented, noted it was inadequate for my cooking needs, and gave it to a friend. Never used it on the Trail.

Images

We have a box/ shelf/ area, marked *NON-ESSENTIAL CAMPING GEAR*

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    We have a box/ shelf/ area, marked *NON-ESSENTIAL CAMPING GEAR*
    LOL i got the same box. it has a Sterno stove my Dad bought in '55, plastic thing to hold dozen eggs, a few Barlow pen knives, plastic tent stakes (w/plastic hammer), belt with WW I ammo pouches, Colman lantern wicks, etc...................

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    LOL i got the same box. it has a Sterno stove my Dad bought in '55, plastic thing to hold dozen eggs, a few Barlow pen knives, plastic tent stakes (w/plastic hammer), belt with WW I ammo pouches, Colman lantern wicks, etc...................
    I have one that holds 6 eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Have a few of those items as well,funny how times change.Those were very inovative items in there time.didn't see a emotiocon for just shaken my head side to sideLOL

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Have a few of those items as well,funny how times change.Those were very inovative items in there time.didn't see a emotiocon for just shaken my head side to sideLOL
    Oh yes, I remember early innovation. The 2nd time I set foot on the AT was in 1973. I carried a Coleman 2 burner stove like a suitcase. Then after that is when the innovation kicked in. I started carrying a single burner with a full size propane bottle in my pack. That was the start of my "ultra-light" days.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

remember the pup tents where each guy carried a half and the 8lb cotton sleeping bags.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    .... The 2nd time I set foot on the AT was in 1973. I carried a Coleman 2 burner stove like a suitcase. ....
    Seriously?

The MSR Dragonfly multi-fuel stove. Sounds like a jet engine. I was actually embarrassed by the noise it made first time I lit it up at a campground. The complexity of the device and the ease of breaking key components (made of plastic) did not warrant the $100 price tag. It sits in the basement, still broken, collecting dust.

I have since grown wiser and have fallen in love with the simplicity, cost effectiveness and quiet burning of a pop can alcohol stove. I may try the canister stoves others here tout so much, but for now alcohol serves my needs.
    "A frog in a well does not know the great ocean" - Japanese Proverb

Hike Prep Blog - http://psrat.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++