WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wondering about this system..what do you think

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
    yeti under quilt 20 degree
    EOS MacCat Tarp

20 degree sleeping bag for over quilt

For cold weather I was going to bring my 20 degree sleeping bag to use as a top quilt. come warm weather, could I ditch the sleeping bag and just use the under quilt? it would save a lot of weight. Do I need the sleeping bag at all even in cold weather with the underquilt?

AT 2012

yes, you need something more than an underquilt almost all the time. the underquilt will just keep your back warm.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    yes, you need something more than an underquilt almost all the time. the underquilt will just keep your back warm.
    Unless they meant they would use the underquilt for a top quilt during the summer. Would then need at least a CCF pad for bottom insulation.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Unless they meant they would use the underquilt for a top quilt during the summer. Would then need at least a CCF pad for bottom insulation.
    good point!!! would be possible...
    Lazarus

I have a bridge hammock (JRB) which I think are especially suited to allowing you to use a TQ as an UQ and vice versa. Also the pad sleeve in a bridge hammock helps keep the pad from moving around.

Height of summer - TQ and z-rest in the pad sleeve

3 season - TQ and UQ

Winter - Winter sleeping bag as TQ, UQ, and 3 season TQ as second UQ layer

Deep Cold - Winter sleeping bag as TQ, UQ, 3 season TQ as second UQ layer, z-rest in pad sleeve

For all seasons and all temps, it helps to have a tarp that is big enough that you to rig up a "winter tarp" set-up. I have weathered a few mid summer nights where my TQ/pad wasn't enough by changing the tarp arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
    yeti under quilt 20 degree
    EOS MacCat Tarp

20 degree sleeping bag for over quilt

For cold weather I was going to bring my 20 degree sleeping bag to use as a top quilt. come warm weather, could I ditch the sleeping bag and just use the under quilt? it would save a lot of weight. Do I need the sleeping bag at all even in cold weather with the underquilt?
    The Blackbird provides a bit of top insulation by itself - it's not like lying open on a bridge hammock. So if you are carrying a good coat, hat & gloves you probably can sleep through a moderate night without a top quilt or sleeping bag. I would definitely give it a try at home first.

++ New Posts ++