WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hanging in TN in 2 weeks

Doing 4 days in Tennessee in two weeks. Never done a hang for this long or in this area. Hoping to get some advice on my setup

ENO Doublenest Hammock
    ENO Bugnet
    ENO Profly tarp
    A D.I.Y. Gear supply underquilt
    Sierra Designs Wild Bill 35 Mummy bag.

Never gone hanging in this area. Thoughts?

Images

WOW, you have so many options in Tennessee. The AT, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, National Forests, and so many great state parks, not to mention plenty of lakes. If you don't mind doing a one-way trip with shuttle, the AT, the GSMNP, the Cumberland Trail, and maybe some lesser-known, less-traveled long trails. Or, if you'd like to be able to loop back to your own vehicle, a place like the Savage Gulf would be great.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

My first ENO was a double nest. Not really knowing the difference I accepted the weight and design. The single nest is waaaay better at one person camping because the double has a kind of separating line in it that makes it awkward for one. You may already be aware of this. My reactor was a big change from the double (and an appreciated one). The profly is pretty cool and you should be gravy with the underquilt, it's a pretty snug setup if you add a sleeping pad in the mix. 30 degree western mountaineering megalite sleeping bag doesn't hurt either...

I have slept in the eno a few times and been ok sleeping. My biggest issue is the fact it sags so much have to hang it really high to compensate because when I wak in the am I am several feet lower than when I started lol

As for the area we will on the AT from Dennis cove to TN91...

So far what the forcast says is highs in the mid 60s and lows on the mid forty's... I think i should be OK in my gear... right?

With your set up you will be aokay. I don't know much about you sleeping bag but if it is down and has continuous baffling then I suggest moving it to the top...the biggest thing with hammock camping is the wind but because you have an underquilt and went for a fly with more stake points even a very brisk wind would do little more than rock you like a baby...I'm writing this from my reactor hammock, hang well my friend

Also, you can either tighten the slack by wrapping the straps around the tree youre hanging from. Just hang your hammock and then shift the loop around the tree to allow for a more custom fit...I don't know if that description makes a lot of sense but I'm sure youll understand if you toy with it a bit...again from my reactor hammock on a sunny but windy day

++ New Posts ++