WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Lightbulb What's in your First Aid Kit?

I'd be interested to see what others carry in their first aid kits. I know I started out with way to much stuff and pared it down. Thought this might be good information for all of us.

Here's my list

Bandaids - various sizes, 12 total

Sterile pads/compresses - 4

Hydrogen Perxoide - about 2 oz carried in a small plastic bottle.
    Great for cleaning out and preventing infection of small cuts or blisters.

New Skin - liquid bandage in a small bottle. Works great!

Ibuprofen - small bottles worth carried in a ziploc bag.

Tylenol 3(tylenol with codiene) - 12 tablets. I've had intermittent back problems. I carry them as a safety policy. I could at least get to a trailhead even with major back/joint problems

Imodioum - about a 12 tablets. I REALLY appreciated having these.

Small needle - actually part of my sewing kit. Used to drain blisters, remove splinters, etc

Toe Nail clippers - found a pair made for babies. Smaller than normal but still works great.

Duct tape - I use a small roll. 3M makes a roll that is 1.5" wide by 8 yds long. Cut the center paper core out and you can smash it flat. Works much better than trying to carry the big stuff wrapped around a water bottle or fuel bottle.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

my kit is pretty much the same as yours, except rather than h. peroxide, i carry neosporin or something similiar and i have a little pair of titanium scissors for the moleskin, etc. oh, and i carry alieve rather than tylenol.

Images

My first aid/repair kit is very minimalist. On most trails like the AT you don't need to have enough stuff to perform emergency surgery or perform major repairs. What you do need is some common sense, some first aid training, and a good pocket knife. My kit only weighs 3.8 ounces without batteries for my electronic devices. Not listed here is my Leatherman Micra which is an all around good tool for a backpacker, and duct tape which I carry on my trekking poles.

Weight in Ounces Item Description
    .2oz = 9 Band aids: Minor cuts.
    .3oz = 24 Aspirin: Pain and fever relief. I would recommend this or some Tylenol.
    .1oz = 9 Immotrex: This is for a migraine condition I sometimes experience. Hopefully you don't need them.
    .3oz = 24 Motrin: For sore joints - anti inflammatory. I consider it a must. But it shouldn't replace a real pain killer like aspirin or Tylenol.
    .1oz = 9 Imodium: Nausea and Diarrhea. Just enough to get you to town where you can ride out a bad case that can kill you from dehydration if you are really sick.
    .5oz = Sewing Kit: Repair clothing and equipment. Some folks replace the thread with floss.
    .1oz = Pill Bag: Small zip lock. I keep al my pills and vitamins in the same bag.
    .5oz = 5 Gauze pads: larger cuts. You can cut this to the size you desire. For bad blister, use this with duct tape and Neosporin.
    .4oz = Neosporin: Anti infection. Great for treating bad blisters.
    .7oz = Ace Bandage: Sprains. Also works to make splints with sticks or a sleeping mat. No need to carry a SAM splint.
    .2oz = Zip Lock Bag: Keep stuff dry, and the clear zip lock makes it easy to see your supplies.
    .4oz = Super Glue: Good for stopping seams that are fraying, repairing broken items, and for closing cuts.
    .4oz = 1 - 3v Lithium Photo battery: Spare battery for camera
    .4oz = 1 AA Lithium: Spare battery for radio
    .2oz = 2 Lithium 2013 batteries: For LED Light.
    4.8 Total
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Tylenol vs Aleve

Chief... I've wondered about Aleve but never used it. I was taking about 6 tylenol a day to hike... knee problems. I've seen the advertising that Aleve doesn't require as many tablets as often to do the same amount of pain relief. What's your experience with it?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Per Sarge's first aid list, instead of the cloth Ace bandage I bring one of the new self-adhering bandages. It's a little lighter for the same length, stretches, adheres to itself, and can be easily cut to the desired length. The only drawback I see is that you will need to replace after using, but the bandage should adhere and do its job for 3+ days.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Baby aspirin,ibus,vitamins and Goody's headache powders.

Images

I would have figured you to have a bloody mary alredy mixed in yours.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

In the front of all AT guidebooks is a section on first aid with a list of recommended items.

I don't know the source, or why for it. But it does seem a little excessive for 1 person. Maybe someone could shed some light on this.

Default Re: Tylenol vs Aleve

Originally posted by Moose2001
    Chief... I've wondered about Aleve but never used it. I was taking about 6 tylenol a day to hike... knee problems. I've seen the advertising that Aleve doesn't require as many tablets as often to do the same amount of pain relief. What's your experience with it?
    my experienced is as advertised. 2 a day seemed to do it for me when i sprained my ankle and later when i cracked my head up in maine. in fact, since i discovered alieve, i've dumped all the others. plus, alieve seems to be easier on my stomach. my partner had the same luck with his knee problems.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

an impotant item for me is to have something for heartburn..tums ,pepcid . peptobismol...what ever your choice ..but heartburn and no potion for relief can be MISERABLE...doesn't happen often ..but when it does ..HOW DO YOU SPELL RELEIF???

I know what you mean SMS - I carry a small roll of Tums in the first aid baggy for just that reason

Default might i suggest...

you should all carry plain benedryl(or generic) in your first aid kits. good for allergic reactions, bee stings, insect bites, poison ivy, etc...
    also used for cold symptoms, and it will zonk you out if you can't sleep...as if THAT will be a problem-lol.

brown bess

Images

yes the benedryl is important..I can't take benedryl so I carry vistaril another antihistamine(prescription)..with the same side effect of making you sleepy..with any med that you carry on the trail make sure that you have taken it before you leave and that you are not allergic or have adverse reaction. the same with any foods that you take ..sample them before going out..the trail is no place to find out that they upset your tummy!

Moose, you might want to try Ibuprofin. My doctor recommended it for my chronic knee problems and its worked great. I beleive Aleve and tylenol are better for sore muscles while Ibuprofin is an anti-inflammatory which works on sore joints. Also, I always carry a fairly recent prescription of either Cipro or Zythramax, both really effective antibiotics. Priceless when your 20 miles from nowhere and wake up sick. Prozac

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Here is my First Aid/Emergency/Repair Kit.

- 1 Gauze Bandage
    - 2 Packets NeoSporin
    - 2 Bandaids
    - Tube Anbesol (Numbs all tooth/gum/lip problems).
    - Ibuprofin x4, Aleve x4, Alka-Seltzer Cold x1 (Best Cure-All there is)

- Box Water/Wind Proof Matches
    - 3 Fire Starter Sticks
    - Small Compass
    - Emergency Whistle

- Safety Pin
    - Role Duct Tape 3/4" x 24'
    - Needle & Synthetic Thread w/small needle threader
    - Tube Seam Grip

Total weight with 5 mini "Dime" bags (for meds and fire products) and an exterior zip-lock bag is about 4.25oz.

In one of the backpacker magazines, the health advisor says knowledge is the best item, and the only things you truely need are duck tape & Ibuprofin. I'm also considering a small lens to start fires used as a button on something. People do the same with button compass' and magnesium buttons for firestarters. I read a story about a guy in vietnam who would swallow these 3 buttons before going into combat. He could then be sure to never lose them even if he was stranded somehow without any equipment. Nonetheless, retrieval must have been fun!

Default antibiotics

no offense to prozac, but carrying and use of antibiotics, unless prescribed for a SPECIFIC problem is worthless, unwarranted, and a big no-no.
    99 % of what you will be exposed to are viruses, which antibiotics are ineffective against.
    self medicating and the shotgun approach to "feeling sick" isn't the way to go, whether it is at home or on the trail.
    take something to help relieve the symptoms but save the big guns (antibiotics) for when you REALLY need them.
    chances are the antibiotic you are carrying isn't the right one for that problem anyway.

jmho

brown bess

Images

Here's my kit, carried in a ziploc, I keep it simple, as I usually don't hike in areas where I'm more than a few days (most likey a few hours) away from some form of help. I also combine some misc repair/safety stuff in the same bag..

10 Band aids of various sizes. (may replace or add Liquid Bandage, haven't tried it yet)
    10 Sudafed decongestant
    25 Ibuprofen for pain relief
    10 Imodium for poop relief
    2 Larger Gauze pads.
    1 Small container of dental floss (for flossing and good for equip. repairs).
    1 Tube Neosporin
    1 Larger bandage for splint, etc..
    1 Small sewing kit for minor repairs (incl. 2 safety pins in here)
    1 tube super glue
    1 small nail clippers
    1 Waterproof tube of matches
    4 AA batteries for camera, radio, and headlamp.
    1 Stove Repair Kit
    1 Sleeping Pad Repair Kit

** Duct tape wrapped around hiking poles.

For those you planning to rely on an acetominophen-based pain-killer (i.e. Tylenol and its clones), be aware that you absolutely SHOULD NOT take this in combination with any alcoholic beverages; it apparently does very bad things to one's liver.......or course, so does alcohol in sufficient doses, but it takes rather longer. I generally use Ibuprofen and Aspirin which do the job painwise, and also get along splendidly with that occasional adult beverage I've been known to embrace.

Images

legs really hurt at night..How do I spell relief??

P-E-R-C-O-D-A-N

Default Antibiotics

Brown Bess, I agree that antibiotics are for bacterial infections only and will not help with a viral infection at all. I also personally have never had a viral infection but catch a bacterial infection 2 to 3 times a year. As to only being exposed to viral infections only, that would probably be true only if you had no contact with anyone else while hiking. That means no shelters,hostels, motels, restaurants or public transportation to trail head. Awhile back in Backpacker Mag that had an article where someone tracked giradia cases in a years worth of thruhikers they concluded that you were 7 times more likely to contract giradia from a fellow hiker than from your natural enviroment. They contributed this to the general unhygenic nature of most hikers(due to lack of facilities mostly) and the sharing of water, food, cookware etc. I figure its much more likely I will catch a bacterial infection than giradia so I just like to be prepared. As to the shotgun effect, I believe your right that its easy to abuse antibiotics and many people do. I have a goverment job and the free Dr. visits and prescription plan to go along along with it so I schedule a visit before hiking season. My Doc wiil write a script knowing full well what it is intended for but also counseled me to use it as a last resort. He said there are 8 common bacterial infections and most antiobiotics will work on 7 out of 8. Pretty good odds I thought. In the 5 years since I've started seriously backpacking I've only taken it once and will never know if it was the antibiotics that made me better but I was glad I had it. I figure no harm no foul, better save than sorry. All I know is when I head into the 100 Mile wilderness you can be sure an antibiotic will be in my pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++