WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Around and about...

Default swollen ball of feet

Any one ever got swollen ball of foot when hiking or from hiking? I've had them for about a week now and been trying to stay off them. I'm pretty new to long distance hiking (>10 miles) so curious is this is a temporary type thing or what.

Thanks a ton for any feedback.

Images

Mine has been bruised. I don't know if it was swollen. It was like that for two reasons: I was carrying too much weight and my feet were getting used to the trail. If you're training, let it heal, and use that time to reduce pack weight.

Dude -
    Had a similar problem during my 2010 thru. Saw a podiatrist and my problem was actually a lack of arch support. When the arch flattens, the ball of the foot doesn't properly spread and absorb the shock. Better insoles made the difference. Softer/gel type insoles with more cushion were NOT the answer.

See this thread for more input:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...oms&highlight=

Images

Malowitz, weak arches might have been part of what I was saying with my feet not being used to the trail. It takes time for them to strengthen. Getting them strong is also why I won't use arch support during training. I might do that during a thru hike or other really long hike, along with braces and taping, but the point of training is to get the body ready. Since I mentioned taping, there's also a way of taping the foot to support the arch.

Well, like malowitz and leaftye, I had some bruising one year. Only way to get rid of it was get off of them. Went to see podiatrist later that year who gave me custom orthotics with a lot of support in the arch and in the little pocket just behind your toes. Well, the custom orthotics in turn changed my gait and messed up my knee. I ended up switching boots to ones with a LOT of room around the toes and use Superfeet insoles. I also do lots of PT type workouts on my knees and ankles before and during hiking. While hiking, try to play with your walk when going down hill. Try to walk in a way that you are not hitting toe first.

I also found that I can get a little stick on pad that does what the custom orthotics did behind the ball of my foot. I have taken these along but never used them.

My experience in that area came with a pair of shoes that were to narrow with thicker socks and didn't allow for the fore foot to splay out.jm2c

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Mine has been bruised. I don't know if it was swollen. It was like that for two reasons: I was carrying too much weight and my feet were getting used to the trail. If you're training, let it heal, and use that time to reduce pack weight.
    +1 if I do high mileage, this always happens to me, sometimes with blisters too. It gets better over time as feet toughen. Going lighter will help. My sympathy, I know how it feels.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++