WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tyvek Tarp?

Images

Default Tyvek Tarp?

I was thinking about tring to make a Tyvek tarp to go over my tarptent.
    I just happen to have 3 large pieces. 1 is actually Tyvek, the other 2 are bulider brands. Anyone ever do this?
    I know that I can get silon(sp?) tarps all over the place., but thought if I could MYOG this item it might be fun.

Images

tyvek will work. you can wash the noise out of it. builder grades will not.
    ,but why are you tarping a tarp?? i'm confussed.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I have s sublite sil and on a trip last year I had 4 days of rain. Try as I might I can not get it up or down without it becoming a bathtub. I know how to dry it out ok, so that is not the issue. It's mostly the time it takes at the end of a long day of walking in the rain. You know when your tired and just want something to eat and crash, but NO I have to spend time dring out the tent.

Images

its been done. not that durable and it is heavy. example https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=tyvek+tarp

Images

Not quite what you want, but I put grommets in the corners of my Tyvek ground cloth so I could use it as a tarp. For what you want to do, I'd get some kite weight Tyvek and fit it to just cover the sublite. Be sure to fold the corners over so you put the grommet into two layers.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Not necessary. A Tarp Tent set up properly will work fine, soem misting iscan be expected. I used slikcone spray to enhance water repellancy and it owrks fine, 1,300 mi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Thanks for the links KK. I had never been over to that Forum. Lots of good info over there.

Q-Tip & Slo, Thanks for the response's. My trouble is not with "misting" or condensation. I learned long ago how to deal with those issues. The trouble I have is when it is raining, durining set up or take down I can't keep the inside of the tent from get soaked. I have a cut down ShamWow, that does an excelent job of getting the inside dry. I was just hoping to avoid some of the drying. The more I think about it, it may take more time and effort to A -find the right spot for both the tent and tarp . B -the time to actually hang the tarp. and C Is the extra weight really worth it?

Maybe, I'm just getting soft and lazy in my old age.

I know what your saying and it ain't a bad idea. String the tarp then you can get out of the rain maybe even cook catch your breath then set up the tent all under a tarp out of the rain. If you can get just the size you need and maybe find some where else to cut a few ozs then go for it. I have thought about it to. Good luck let us know what you end up doing.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

++ New Posts ++