WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Pasta with olive oil and ????

Please give me your ideas on what to add to have great simple pasta trail meals.

I have several already, but always looking for a fresh point of view or try ingredients I hadn't thought I would. Examples: different types of fruits, veggies, meats, spices, condiments, or even change the oil to a sauce. Thanks!!

Whatever other responses you get, don't forget Parmesan. It keeps well, has the salt you'll crave, and will improve whatever else you put on the pasta. I didn't stray far from a parmesean and pesto combo for my pasta meals, but then I'm a lackluster trail cook.

Try using capers -which are dehydrateable
    Rolled anchovies and capers
    Pitted kalamata olives - rough dice
    Any italian hard cheese - salty and will last forever
    The judicous use of red pepper flakes
    Chicken or fish in a pouch

No thing beats fresh Garlic,you can barrow a razor blade from and "Super Ultra Lighter",(cause they don't carry knives)and slice it super thin so it liquefies in the pot.One of my favorite spices is Cumin,also fresh black pepper corns with lemon zest from an old rhine(Peel) found in a dumpster behind a restaurant.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    Try using capers -which are dehydrateable
    Rolled anchovies and capers
    Pitted kalamata olives - rough dice
    Any italian hard cheese - salty and will last forever
    The judicous use of red pepper flakes
    Chicken or fish in a pouch
    old bear comes thru! - yea take a second tray and red and green peppers and deydrate.... add the pepper flakes.... and a chicken retort pouch... yum.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Pepperoni and or summer sausage can be nice.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

sardines, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms

Butter, Italian herbs, Parisian.

Images

I've got pesto meals made. One night while making some hiking meals, i decided to try just olive oil with pasta and throw in whatever I had. It was awesome good!
    For this next BIG hike in 2 years, I am trying many different things I thought I'd never eat on the trail. Ramen, instant taters, all my meat dried, capers, poppy seeds assorted nuts, various beans and much more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    What is Parisian? And i think I've got italian herbs!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    sardines, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms
    Good one! Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    No thing beats fresh Garlic,you can barrow a razor blade from and "Super Ultra Lighter",(cause they don't carry knives)and slice it super thin so it liquefies in the pot.One of my favorite spices is Cumin,also fresh black pepper corns with lemon zest from an old rhine(Peel) found in a dumpster behind a restaurant.
    How much cumin? Do you add it during or after?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    old bear comes thru! - yea take a second tray and red and green peppers and deydrate.... add the pepper flakes.... and a chicken retort pouch... yum.
    a chicken retort pouch-what is that? Where would it be in the store?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    How much cumin? Do you add it during or after?
    Towards the end so it doesn't become bitter,and to taste or in my case about 1/4 tsp.(thats the little one)per 1L pot of rice/noodles or about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of what have you.

Images

here's one I like: olive oil, fresh garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, salt

dehydrating store-bought sauces also works really well.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post

I don't think a Parisian would go well with Pasta & Italian herbs. Might work OK with Persians, though.

Hi...

The garlic and grated hard cheese(s) would certainly wake up MY taste buds. You might also wish to consider using Italian dressing as well...or instead of.

Peanut Butter and a little hot sauce, Stir it up !!!!

This is so EASY, for me. Add a pinch of fresh garlic(I often include a small clove on my hikes, garlic acts as an antisepetic, intestinal cleanser, insect repellant, also repels unwanted hiker hang-on wannabe types), Parmesan or other hard cheese(I can get dried packets of Parm free at Pizza Parlors), basil(fresh is best but goes bad FAST, dried basil will also do, parsley can also work but fresh is best and last longer trailside than fresh basil), red pepper flakes(also free at Pizza Parlors and Italian restaurants), sardines with skin and bones packed in oil for the higher cals per oz ratio (some sardines are packed in extra vrgin olive oil(EVOO) so you may not need to carry extra oil for the pasta OR you can opt for the sardines packed in cottonseed oil which will cost less than the sardines packed in EVOO), bits of chopped dried tomatos, pine nuts(yum yum, but if these are over your budget substitute fresh sunflower seeds in a pesto sauce.

Another direction I take the "pasta thing" is to go Asian. I add peanut butter(small packets of peanut butter are available(Justine's or Simply Peanut Butter brands come to mind, etc, I have found both brands sold rather inexpensively at Grocery Stores and Super Walmarts, as is also dried peanut butter so NO NEED to to carry large or HEAVY amounts of PB!), a dash of red curry powder(red pepper flakes can also work), dried coconut milk(found in Asian food stores or just about everywhere here in Hawaii where I live), sesame seeds, and perhaps a bit of fresh scallions(other onions can work too). This can be eaten cold too.

Another thing I do if I find myself getting into that pasta and oil rut is to mix pasta with grains, seeds, nuts or legumes(beans). You might try elbow pasta with dried lentil bean soup, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, sunflower seeds, and EVOO.

Some things come to mind when I think about pasta eaten on trail.
    1) balance out the "pasta" with healthy higher cals per oz ratio ingredients or foods(140 + cals per oz) to up the TOTAL overall cals per oz ratio for the meal! AND enliven the tastes with spices and herbs
    2) opt for quicker to cook types of pastas such as smaller elbows, vermicelli, etc
    3) NOT all pasta is made from wheat OR even the same type of wheat products! THIS IS OFTEN OVERLOOKED OR NOT TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT! THIS ALSO RESULTS IN SOME MISTAKEN BELIEFS THAT CAN OCCUR WHEN SOME TYPES OF PASTAS WITH SOME POSSIBLE NEGATIVE ATTRIBUTES FOR SOME PEOPLE ARE LUMPED IN WITH ALL TYPES OF PASTAS! "Pasta" can be made with various types of grains, flours, and wheat products, such as: Quinoa(VERY nutritious!), rice, red lentil bean flour, buckwheat, corn, etc

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Peanut Butter and a little hot sauce, Stir it up !!!!
    Being a PB lover, this sounds interesting. How do you add the PB to the pasta?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++