WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Shhhh just found another-Roasted Soy Nuts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Gosh Owl, really like your list. Gave me some ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Has no one mentioned pre-cooked bacon?
    how long will it keep on the trail? Every time I see it in the store I think about taking it on a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Cheese tortellini from "barrila" is the bomb - get some sauce packets and carry a little olive oil!
    how long does it take to cook the tortellini? I would love this with a little olive oil and parmesean cheese topping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    how long does it take to cook the tortellini? I would love this with a little olive oil and parmesean cheese topping it.
    I throw some in a pot of cold water. Bring to boil on my Snow Peak Giga stove. Remove and cozy for about five minutes. Drain, garnish, and enjoy!

Journal Entries
    Images

Precooked bacon is shelf stable, You can make it at home the dryer the better.

You good folks are still talking cooking and boiling thou. This is more about scarfing direct from a grocery store.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Grocery store backpacking food

I may have misread the the OP, but I thought he was just referring to prepackaged backpacking food, such as Mountain House and others. He doesn't seem to explicitly say he's against cooking any food.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

That's true. In fact, the OP talks about Knorr sides, grits, etc., for which you need to boil water and cook.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok I am wrong - I give up

Woo

Images

69 posts and not one mention of Vegemite.
    Good thing I'll be bringing my own with me on my 2013 NOBO.
    G'day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ok I am wrong - I give up
    Don't give up! You've made a lot of great suggestions that I'll be using.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

how long will it keep on the trail? Every time I see it in the store I think about taking it on a hike.
    the pre cooked bacon i got yesterday says 3 days unrefridged

package says 7 minutes. we opted for angel hair pasta by barrila(cooks in 1 minute) with red sauce.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    69 posts and not one mention of Vegemite.
    Good thing I'll be bringing my own with me on my 2013 NOBO.
    G'day!
    Vegemite - (I have tried it) almost UN-findable on the east coast unless in a specialty store. It's not considered heathy in spite of the b vitamins. It may be confiscated at customs - that has happened before. Americans flat out don't care for it.... Here is a recent example

President Barack Obama, in response to a question in March 2011 during a joint visit with Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard to a high school in Virginia, gave his impression of Vegemite by stating "It’s horrible" and, following a description by Ms. Gillard, summarised it with "So it's like a quasi-vegetable by-product paste that you smear on your toast for breakfast - sounds good, doesn't it?"

Woo

Cool Yes I know it's still cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Precooked bacon is shelf stable, You can make it at home the dryer the better.

You good folks are still talking cooking and boiling thou. This is more about scarfing direct from a grocery store.
    Yes I know it's still cooking but, how about powdered whole eggs, love them for breakfast, and if you mix a little in your regular meal, it adds texture that feels like meat. Anyway.
    Tech-Na-Bill

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea I tried that, Hey if you like that sort of thing -cool,

Woo

I like to eat Cambells Bean & Bacon soup...right out of the can!Good protein and salts to keep ya going.

Freeze dried dinners are an interesting subject. Some can be quite tasty. But most dinners are bulky, very expensive, high in sodium and many have low caloric density. It is probably best to minimize their use to a few dinners on a trip. Try to make some simple dinners of your own based on ingredients like instant rice, instant mashed potatoes or whole wheat cous cous.

West Fork Trail

Images

A bag of mini pepperoni rolls makes a nice lunch for the first couple of days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HangNhike View Post
    Since dehydrated "backpacking" meals can be so expensive, my fellow hikers and I have decided to keep it on the cheap for food and go with things we can carry on the trail. Breakfast is easy with instant oatmeal, instant grits, pop tarts...

But what about lunches and dinners? We talked about the Knorr sides... What have you guy used and what should we avoid? We are going tomorrow to do a group shop for all the food...
    I dehydrate most of my own backpacking food...some meals...some individual ingredients. It works for me! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++