WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

For breakfast...Great Grain or granola cereal with powdered milk in a baggie...add water and eat.
    Mid morning....490 calorie fried cherry pie.
    Lunch & dinner....items already mentioned in other posts.

Images

Granola and peanut butter mixed together is AMAZING!!! I toss in a handful of dry roasted peanuts and man oh man that is good stuff! Just make sure you have a good water source handy...lol...you'll need about 2 liters to wash it all down...lol.

Hmm... I would think that granola, peanut butter, and a little cocoa mixed together would be the bomb! Possibly close to a no-bake cookie!

I dont skimp on the dinner no matter what, thats the most hearty and fulfilling meal on my hikes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh, OK, I got one no one has written about yet. Background: my wife's family are all scandinavian and supposedly this idea comes from there. One of my wife's sister's husband had a heart attack and part of his new food regimen was eating lots of oatmeal. I found this out when we went to visit them on the farm in Eastern WA. The oatmeal is prepared very differently then the usual. They take some oatmeal (any Oatmeal will do and I never use instant). You take the amt of Oatmeal flakes you think you wish to consume the next morning and place them in a bowl or something. On the trail I bring an old cottage cheese type thingy with a snapon lid. You pour out the Oatmeal flakes in the container and cover it with milk and kind of stir it around or slosh it around a little(on the trail instant milk of course). In the morning you eat it cold. When they first served it to me I was real skeptical but it is delicious and it has a faint and pleasant oatey taste which I never sensed in hot oatmeal. If you add pieces of fruit to it in the morning it is even better.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 11-22-2012 at 11:24.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Having read Adrianne Hall's diatribe about oatmeal anywhere last night, I have to laugh. I eat oatmeal every day. I'd love to eat it on the trail and will follow your "recipe." The only question concerns the milk. Would you give more details about the kind/brand? Thanks.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I've read about it, but never tried it. For milk, at home use your preference. On the trail, I'd use Nido; it's about the best powdered milk out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    re.Bear Creek soups

Not the cheese broccoli. That stuff is heaven and near instant.​ Add ramen without spice pack for variety. makes a good evening meal too.

I always carry tortillas. Bread: the staff of life.

Any soup with beans takes a long time to cook.
    +1 on the bear creek soups, I divide them up into single servings. The broccoli cheese is my favorite. Grinder is correct in that it's almost instant(don't require extended simmering) If you've got any way to bring in some fresh broccoli that makes it even better. Also, it's complimented greatly by a dark seasonal brew (again, great to bring in to drink on the first night or have a cool mountain stream nearby to chill before drinking)... Obviously bringing beers isn't ultra light but just a good compliment to this soup/meal. Also, if you're bringing first time campers, good food goes a looong way towards making them repeat campers and hikers. Just my 2 cents...
    DSCF3273.jpg

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

An old favorite of mine for around the campfire (if someone else builds it) is hot cocoa with a little rum added. It surely makes for a relaxing end of a long day. I put the rum in small plastic bottles. I haven't seen any lately, but I used to enjoy freeze dried ice cream while walking. Nalgene bottles stuffed with Doritos, peanut butter and Bacos on tortillas . . . . Ummmm.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Oh, OK, I got one no one has written about yet. Background: my wife's family are all scandinavian and supposedly this idea comes from there. One of my wife's sister's husband had a heart attack and part of his new food regimen was eating lots of oatmeal. I found this out when we went to visit them on the farm in Eastern WA. The oatmeal is prepared very differently then the usual. They take some oatmeal (any Oatmeal will do and I never use instant). You take the amt of Oatmeal flakes you think you wish to consume the next morning and place them in a bowl or something. On the trail I bring an old cottage cheese type thingy with a snapon lid. You pour out the Oatmeal flakes in the container and cover it with milk and kind of stir it around or slosh it around a little(on the trail instant milk of course). In the morning you eat it cold. When they first served it to me I was real skeptical but it is delicious and it has a faint and pleasant oatey taste which I never sensed in hot oatmeal. If you add pieces of fruit to it in the morning it is even better.

Details Details... Take minute Oatmeal run in a blender 5 minutes, Then pour 1/3 cup into glad bag 2 tbls Spoon Nido when reconstituting it 1/2 cup hot water. Personally I like a packet of real maple syrup and brown sugar.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I have noticed a real difference between quality Oatmeal and "discount" brands. For example, Quaker definitely is better then the store discount brand. On milk, I have used regular cows milk, soy milk and etc. On trail any powdered milk will work. One note, if you do not like the aftertaste of powdered milk do this: after you mix it put two(2) drops of vanilla extract in the bowl, cup, etc. Well usually I would use two(2) drops for a Qt size so I guess for a bowl I would use one(1) drop. Myself, I notice that distinct aftertaste even when I use fruit or sugar, etc. So the Vanilla extract is a nice touch.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 11-22-2012 at 23:19.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

favorite for lunch is crackers with a variety of "toppings". Love the Dr Krackers brand...they hold up well and are very nutritious. Favorite toppings are any nut butter, Nutella, salami, bacon, packets of processed cheese(deliciously salty), smoked aged gouda(it keeps a long time wrapped in vinegar soaked cheesecloth and parchment paper). The options are endless.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

mix it up. resupply at gas stations, whatever. pb&j and pretzels and something sweet is the money combo for me. breakfast, dinner, lunch.....it's all the same to me.

A favorite lunch of mine is peanut butter and honey on a couple of tortillas. When I drop into town for re-supply I get the smallest peanut butter jar I can get (plastic of course) and a small jar of honey. I then scoop some of the peanut butter out of the jar and squeeze in honey. I then stir it all up until I get the ratio that I like.

My meat of choice for dinner is the packets of spam when I can get them. I have gone entirely away from packets of tuna as you get appx. 2.5 times the calories in spam compared to tuna.

Another lunch/dinner that I sometimes splurge on, it is rather expensive, is shelf-stable bacon on a tortilla. Once opened I use the bacon until gone 2-3 meals. I put a packet or two of miracle whip on it as well. This is a very tasty meal.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    No need to soak overnight... raw oats with mixed dried fruit & nuts is Meusli. I eat it 4+ times a week and it's my usual trail breakfast with dried milk. You can find it in boxes, or in the bulk cereals section of most larger grocery stores. Or you can mix your own, just use instant or quick oats (they're just rolled thinner), and mix in some raisins, chopped dates, and walnuts.

Frozen hot dogs and bacon will keep for 2-3 days easily if insulated inside clothing in your pack.

Gotta plan it right and watch them close, but AVOCADOS!!! Nom nom nom and calorie dense. SUPER food.

Quote Originally Posted by Portie View Post
    Frozen hot dogs and bacon will keep for 2-3 days easily if insulated inside clothing in your pack.
    As for hot dogs, be VERY sure they have not had a chance to get warm as you travel. The consequences can be awful. Trust me on this.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2014hopeful View Post
    Gotta plan it right and watch them close, but AVOCADOS!!! Nom nom nom and calorie dense. SUPER food.
    I like em sliced and grilled ...
    Last edited by LDog; 03-21-2013 at 22:32.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Has no one mentioned pre-cooked bacon?
    If not, they are all asleep. Add pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage.

Real world question: I have never tried summer sausage on the trail. What brands do you all like? How long will an open summer sausage keep on the trail? Or is that one of those dumb questions because the summer sausage is gone before it has a chance to spoil? Suppose you are on a 7-10 re-supply
    schedule? How long will summer sausage keep then?

Wayne

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++