WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Did anyone mention Hummus mix? Easy to add water and a bit of olive oil and put on any type of cracker or bread.
    FF_HummusLG.jpg

For Protein ... I use a Whey Protein drink ... good breakfast starter and good for that before bed protein snack. Just add cold water, mix and drink.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If not, they are all asleep. Add pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage.

Real world question: I have never tried summer sausage on the trail. What brands do you all like? How long will an open summer sausage keep on the trail? Or is that one of those dumb questions because the summer sausage is gone before it has a chance to spoil? Suppose you are on a 7-10 re-supply
    schedule? How long will summer sausage keep then?

Wayne
    Just buy smaller ones that will be gone in a day or two & take multiple ones. Much preferable than risking a big one going bad & suffering from it.

Images

I recently discovered Minute brown rice. It is cooked, dried brown rice. It requires very little cooking time if you soak it prior to cooking. If you don't soak it first it takes 7 min cooking time. It combines very well with Spice Islands dried black bean soup ( dried soup in a cup that I take out of the cup and dump in a baggie). This is also already cooked and dried. Cook the two together and you have a very hearty soup/stew. Spice islands also makes a yummy curried lentil soup( combine with the rice or Nor'east's cous cous), dried, cooked, just add water and heat.

my eating might be kind of wierd, but I usually allow myself one dehydrated per week.
    Other than that -- here are things I take & like
    instant mashed potato packets (I eat the whole 2 or 4 servings myself)
    ramen noodles, yeah, i know
    peanut butter in a tube on rice cake
    fast cooking rice -- a little weighty but a nice change, adding
    seasoning, tomato paste, cheese or whatever
    packets of tuna - yes, some weight, but the wetness is so delicious sitting on top of a mountain
    you just climbed

because of the fuel it takes to cook, I look for things that cook fast or things
    that just need the hot water dumped on them.
    reading the grocery store boxes, you figure out what is instant and what has to simmer 7 minutes
    or 15 minutes (and I stay away from those)
    instant soup

there isn't a great deal of nutrition in some of this stuff -- I try to balance things out
    if you can find pepperoni that doesn't require refrigeration -- a couple of slices with anything are a treat

sometimes my lunches are light -- a bag of honey-peanuts matched with dried apples (the least salty of the dried fruits)

OldJeremiah

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldJeremiah View Post
    because of the fuel it takes to cook, I look for things that cook fast or things
    that just need the hot water dumped on them.
    reading the grocery store boxes, you figure out what is instant and what has to simmer 7 minutes
    or 15 minutes (and I stay away from those)
    If it needs to simmer for 7 minutes, it'll be done in 10 in a freezer bag cozy. At this point I consider the Reflectix bag cozy an essential part of my kitchen.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Peanut Butter and Kashi Go Lean Cereal ... don't even need bread. And lots of water to wash it down with, I like to add the pedialyte in the serving size pouches or Energen C to my water.

Coosa

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Did anyone mention Hummus mix? Easy to add water and a bit of olive oil and put on any type of cracker or bread.
    FF_HummusLG.jpg
    I have never seen this, but i want to try it!
    In The End, It's All About The Story

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HangNhike View Post
    Since dehydrated "backpacking" meals can be so expensive, my fellow hikers and I have decided to keep it on the cheap for food and go with things we can carry on the trail. Breakfast is easy with instant oatmeal, instant grits, pop tarts...

But what about lunches and dinners? We talked about the Knorr sides... What have you guy used and what should we avoid? We are going tomorrow to do a group shop for all the food...
    While it is not UL, I always include at least on lunch of sardines on Rye crisps

Those that carry olive oil, are you just buying a bottle and carrying it with? I'm cautious of doing this, in fear of spilling or leaking all over everything.

What about olive oil packets?

Just trying to get enough healthy calories and fat during the day without tons of candy and typical hiker food. No offense, but I don't eat most of this stuff during my normal days. Trying to keep eating healthy.

I assume I'll have to maildrop for most.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blainem View Post
    Those that carry olive oil, are you just buying a bottle and carrying it with?
    I got an 8oz nalgene specifically for the AT. It doesn't leak, and I use it in most every dinner for the fat and nutrition. Might try and find one slightly smaller as it is a fairly heavy item. Got it off Amazon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    Peanut Butter and Kashi Go Lean Cereal ... don't even need bread. And lots of water to wash it down with, I like to add the pedialyte in the serving size pouches or Energen C to my water.

Coosa
    Any high protein cereal, such as the Kashi or granola, in a ziplock with powder milk and whatever else you may want to add...honey, dried fruit, nuts, etc.

Instant Mac and cheese with SPAM! Tortilla covered in peanut butter, trail mix and honey...yum! Spam and mayo on a tortilla! yum!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Mac and cheese with Spam? Hell, I eat that at home. Great stuff.

Sometimes I'd make a sandwich by splitting a Ramen Noodle block and spreading Nutella on the inside.
    "Hold my nose so I cannot taste" or "Scrape my tongue" Rolls

Images

Lipton's, I eat a lot of those sodium ridden Lipton dinners, both the pasta ones and the rice ones. I add in a packet of tuna. That's dinner. Lunch would be two KIND bars; breakfast is simple, a bar also. I may end up cooking in the am and snack the rest of the time. I'm a light eater. Sometimes peanut butter on tortilla of course (those jiff snack ones work well).
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    Lipton's, I eat a lot of those sodium ridden Lipton dinners, both the pasta ones and the rice ones. I add in a packet of tuna. That's dinner. Lunch would be two KIND bars; breakfast is simple, a bar also. I may end up cooking in the am and snack the rest of the time. I'm a light eater. Sometimes peanut butter on tortilla of course (those jiff snack ones work well).
    and you get enough calories that way? are you talking about thru or section hiking?

Images

I did that with drops on my thru hike in 2000 and have with my drops for my two month section hike I leave for in less than two days SOBO from Maine. Enough calories? heck no! It is impossible to have enough calories. I'd have to carry more food in weight for that and then I'd have to burn more calories to carry that weight and then carry more food to burn those calories needed to....you get the point. I fill up in town stops, usually eat a pizza myself with veggies on it; supplement with whatever too. With my medications I also take a daily vitamin made for 50+ Men. I'm 41 but it cannot hurt.
    I am well again, I came to life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains...

~ John Muir ~

Quote Originally Posted by Symba View Post
    I did that with drops on my thru hike in 2000 and have with my drops for my two month section hike I leave for in less than two days SOBO from Maine. Enough calories? heck no! It is impossible to have enough calories. I'd have to carry more food in weight for that and then I'd have to burn more calories to carry that weight and then carry more food to burn those calories needed to....you get the point. I fill up in town stops, usually eat a pizza myself with veggies on it; supplement with whatever too. With my medications I also take a daily vitamin made for 50+ Men. I'm 41 but it cannot hurt.
    Careful! Taking a 50+ vitamin and not being of age will age you more quickly. This is a fact...happened to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Cheese tortellini from "barrila" is the bomb - get some sauce packets and carry a little olive oil!
    +1 my favorite. I use tomato (pizza) sauce from bosco's

http://www.boscospizza.com/pages/bosco_sauce.html

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++