WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Finally, I swear peanut butter mixed into granola was one of my greatest discoveries out there ...
    I was thinking about mixing wheat germ with peanut butter and a little honey or perhaps raisins. Same idea.

From what I have read, mixing any two of three of these fairly calorie dense groups makes a complete protein.
    1)Nuts/seeds, 2)legumes/beans, and 3)grains.

Properly prepared I expect they should keep for several days on the trail.

I won't get to thru hike for quite a while (2020?) but I am planning food ideas now.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, and you don't really have to mix them together to get the complete protein. Just consume them within the same day to get the benefit.

I forgot to mention quinoa which is becoming more widely available. Try and get a pre-rinsed version, and instant flakes are available. A complete protein all by itself.

LDawg
    http://bit.ly/LDawg
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

One of my favorite breakfasts is dehydrated quinoa with powdered milk, brown sugar, chopped almonds and dried cherries. Add hot or cold water, depending on what you feel like that morning.

The first thing that you need to do is look at cooking times
    Because more cooking time = more fuel needed = more weight that must be carried =more pack volume allocated for fuel
    You can negate some of that fuel need by knowing that any dried pasta can be passively rehydrated by soaking it in 4x it's volume of water for an hour ....drain and then cook it for about 2 minutes in just enough salted boiling water to cover

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Yes, and you don't really have to mix them together to get the complete protein. Just consume them within the same day to get the benefit.
    True, but the combination sounds pretty tasty to me . Toasted wheat germ, peanut butter, honey, maybe a little cinnamon. I'm scared to try it now as I really don't need that many calories.

Another benefit is no cooking required. Might need a little extra water or coffee to wash all that down.

Lunch = PB&J on Tortilla
    Dinner = Zatarains Black Beans and Rice with some curry.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Every time you post that my gag reflex kicks in.

I always feel like something is missing if Spokes doesn't mention shucking a block of ramen.
    I cook what I grow. I dry what I cook. I eat what I dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Lunch = PB&J on Tortilla
    Dinner = Zatarains Black Beans and Rice with some curry.
    Having Zatarains for dinner and some nitrates too(doggies)......love leftovers night.

I dehydrate a bunch of fruit, veggies and meat, bring oriental noodles (Raman without all the artificial flavor) nori, grains, ( quinoa, millet, grits, rice, cous cous, etc), and cheese. This usually makes a one pot soup or stew of some form for supper. Oh, and instant potatoes to thicken with. Lunch is usually spread out through the day with hard salami, tortillas, cheese, group, etc.. Breakfast is coffee and instant grits or oatmeal. And beer.

I am trying to cut down on the prepared stuff (Knorrs, Zatarains etc) as they are full of preservatives and usually a butt load of salt. Most of the dehydrated meals taste the same after a while, IMO.

Oops, should be Gorp, not group.

Images

Cheese tortellini from "barrila" is the bomb - get some sauce packets and carry a little olive oil!

Hi...

Tabouli is good, and can even be made with cold water. I also carry some MRE crackers, which I've never had crumble. Also, when I don't care about a few extra ounces, I'll carry a few tins of herring or sardines...in mustard or tomato sauce.

Fig newtons are good (I love 'em), but they're a bit on the heavy side...but of course you could eat them first...!!

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    True, but the combination sounds pretty tasty to me . Toasted wheat germ, peanut butter, honey, maybe a little cinnamon. I'm scared to try it now as I really don't need that many calories.

Another benefit is no cooking required. Might need a little extra water or coffee to wash all that down.
    How about this?

No Bake Bits
    1 1/2 c. dry oatmeal
    1/2 c. wheat germ
    1/2 c. flaked coconut
    1/2 c. raisins
    1/2 c. peanut butter
    1/3 c. honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir it all together; chill; then roll into bite-size pieces. If it's too dry, add some more peanut butter and/or honey.

I don't know how long this would keep - it doesn't usually last very long.

It sounds great. It's very much like the Prison Power Bars found in The Convict Cookbook.

For breakfast and snacking, I have become a fan of Steel Cut Oats. I just fill a 20-oz Gatorade bottle with em and eat em dry.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Well we are all friends so buying larger quantity things and diving worked out well for us. We have pop tarts and oatmeal for breakfast. Tortillas, canned chicken, tuna, pb &J for lunches, then dinner we have a few knorr sides, one gumbo meal from packet gourmet, summer sausage, more canned chicken and tuna. Plus we got granola, hammer bars and gorp for snacking.

As a stove we have a Jetboil Flash Java setup, as I prefer to start my day with coffee... Plus I'm gonna take a few lipton tea bags to make sun tea while on the trail

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Not food but I always try to pick up a box of the instant single Arizona Green Tea drink mix.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HangNhike View Post
    As a stove we have a Jetboil Flash Java setup, as I prefer to start my day with coffee...
    Me too, but I really don't want to bring a stove on my section later this month. So I'm going to experiment with the Starbux Via instant Iced coffee packets. We'll see how that works out.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Me too, but I really don't want to bring a stove on my section later this month. So I'm going to experiment with the Starbux Via instant Iced coffee packets. We'll see how that works out.
    Tasty but pricey. Its like 7 dollars for 6 packets. I can get a pound of coffee for that lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HangNhike View Post
    Tasty but pricey. Its like 7 dollars for 6 packets. I can get a pound of coffee for that lol
    Yeah, but it'll probably be worth it. Still cheaper than going to Starbux and ordering a drink...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++