WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kelty Flight 60 vs the World

I have an older Kelty Flight 60 (the inexpensive but heavier version of the Kelty White Cloud) that I have used on a few trips. The way I have it configured it weighs 3 pounds and 10 ounces and provides about 3800 cubic inches of room. I carry about 25-28 pounds (including the pack)

Since this pack is pretty old (but in excellent condition) I am wondering if there are better, lighter, options out there for me. I am 6 foot and weigh about 200 pounds.

The heaviest pack I looked at so far was the Osprey Atmos 65. I have reading about and evaluating the Osprey Exos 58, Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60, the Wild Things Andonista, and many others. Any input that you can provide on any of these packs or others that you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have only used a few different packs, but the ULA ohm has been my favorite. Easily the most comfortable pack I have ever carried. It is a little smaller and lighter than what you are looking at, but if you think you could keep the weight around 25 lbs and fit all you gear inside, I would highly recommend it.

Note: I have have the standard version and do not see a need for large hip belts as on the 2.0 version. However they may help when carrying heavier loads.

For typical long-distance use, I think you would be able to find something excellent between the following pack manufacturers:
    - Osprey
    - Granite Gear
    - ULA
    - Gregory
    As far as what model? No one call tell you that, everyone has different taste. Kinda like asking "hey everyone, what food will I really like?". But you start with those 4 pack companies, and you really can't go wrong. There are others...but those are a great place to start.

An update. I purchased a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 to try. The ULA Ohm also looks interesting but I started with the Granite Gear because it is something I can easily return if it does not work out well. My initial impression of it is it seems a little flimsy but I guess they are all getting that way. Taking it on a short trip on Memorial Day weekend and will provide another update after that.

Prior to the purchase, I tried on an Osprey Atmos 65 in the store and it was quite comfortable but obviously twice the weight of the others that I am considering.

++ New Posts ++