WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Default Over 50 and feeling it.

It was only a few years ago could bust a 30 mile day if I wanted that challenge, but not lately…. Last summer I could feel a real energy drain on my section just north of the Smokies. I except that I’m not the hard charger I was a few years ago but am still in good shape and looking forward to many more years of sectioning the trail. Looking for advice on boosting that energy…Supplements? Diet? What’s worked for our “mature” hikers?
    Kevin

Images

Had a Lyme test?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Yep moose is right if you haven't get one,and if you test negative,get tested at a later date.I hit a wall not that many years ago,but my situation is compleatly different from yours in that your starting as a fit person,I was not,and only offer this post in support.Feel well.

Yeah, I have ups & downs. At 48 yrs I find I sometimes respond poorly to junk food. I try to be mindful of my diet. More than that though, it's all about conditioning for me. I am stronger after a good hard summer of hiking. After the holidays I put on a few pounds. And when I can't get out hiking very often during the winter I am not nearly as strong. Simply put, the more I hike, the stronger I feel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well welcome to our world... one thing that works for me is invite a few friends - group therapy! Car pool and take two cars do a distance leg with shuttle... get out there...

If all else fails find a fit fourty something unrelated and have her out in front....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-27-2012 at 08:14.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Deerleg View Post
    It was only a few years ago could bust a 30 mile day if I wanted that challenge, but not lately…. Last summer I could feel a real energy drain on my section just north of the Smokies. I except that I’m not the hard charger I was a few years ago but am still in good shape and looking forward to many more years of sectioning the trail. Looking for advice on boosting that energy…Supplements? Diet? What’s worked for our “mature” hikers?
    If you are slowing down at age 53, you should definitely get a physical.

At age 68, I have had my share of aging issues (heart bypass and prostate cancer), but I have not really slowed my hiking pace or distance. I have reduced my pack weight a lot, but who hasn't? I didn't start hiking until I was in my late 40s, but I still do anything I could do then. It isn't "normal" to be hitting the wall at age 52.
    Shutterbug

Deerleg you may want to consider taking a nap in the middle of the day .

Journal Entries
    Images

OUCH - a Nap?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Ya know Deer leg,Old Bear brings a good point,and that is rest.One thing I have learned is that rest is when our body's rejuvenate and if we don't get quality sleep,again quality then we put ourselves behind the eight ball.though power naps are awesome and can darn near bring a body back from the brink.So I ask,are you sleeping well at night ? Incidental I do not sleep well,sucks to be me LOL

Images

I try to stay in shape year round by running and working out. I've shortened my daily mileage a little as I've gotten older but energy level is not usually a problem for me. If I feel like I'm bonking out on the trail, it's usually because I didn't get enough sleep or calories.

Assuming no medical issues you can maintain a high level of energy at 53 or 63. It takes a littler more effort than it did when you were 33 though. Daily exercise and a good diet will help. Maintain enough protein in your diet to keep building muscle. Maintain enough carbs to keep energy level high. Dehydration is a major downer that can keep your energy low. I keep a 32 oz power aid bottle full of water with me all the time. Complex carbs are better than simple carbs. I make my own wheat bread and put two eggs and a couple of over ripe bananas in it. The wheat bread and a box of raisins is my snack throughout the day. I put whey protein in my coffee. I do a little weight workout at the gym most mornings and walk 6 miles in the evening. I find things to keep me motovated. Like finding pride in doing a hard days work. Like finding pride in being able to walk 6 miles in less than two hours and not being tired when I'm finished. For me, I internalize these things. I mention them here because I might be able to help a stranger. What you say to yourself and is far more important too your own well being than what you say to others.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

Weight loss always helps. Both in the pack and on the body. Some of the things we're powerless over like total miles on the feet and knees.
    Walking regular helps, poles, and being reasonable. I can still knock out 15 miles; but 30 is no longer a reasonable goal. Plus that would not be enjoyable. You know the old old saying been there done that. Plus all I need to do is look around at the other 55 plus year old people I interact with on a regular basis. Few are in as good shape as a regular hiker. Lets face it body parts were not made to last forever but don't let them go to rest either.

Every one of these posts are dead on and informative in my opinion. I find that staying hydrated and eating small snacks throughout the hiking day helps to keep up my energy level. I am currently not a hammock hanger but have considered finding and carrying one of those "pocket hammocks" for power naps on the trail. Couldn't hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Assuming no medical issues you can maintain a high level of energy at 53 or 63. It takes a littler more effort than it did when you were 33 though. Daily exercise and a good diet will help. Maintain enough protein in your diet to keep building muscle. Maintain enough carbs to keep energy level high. Dehydration is a major downer that can keep your energy low. I keep a 32 oz power aid bottle full of water with me all the time. Complex carbs are better than simple carbs. I make my own wheat bread and put two eggs and a couple of over ripe bananas in it. The wheat bread and a box of raisins is my snack throughout the day. I put whey protein in my coffee. I do a little weight workout at the gym most mornings and walk 6 miles in the evening. I find things to keep me motovated. Like finding pride in doing a hard days work. Like finding pride in being able to walk 6 miles in less than two hours and not being tired when I'm finished. For me, I internalize these things. I mention them here because I might be able to help a stranger. What you say to yourself and is far more important too your own well being than what you say to others.
    +1 Ilike this

A young bull and an old bull were standing on top of a hill looking down the valley at a herd of cows. The young bull said "Let's run down there and have a date with one of those cows?" The old bull replied "Let's walk down and have a date with them all." Just keep moving and don't sweat it.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    +1 Ilike this
    I didn't know rocketsocks was this smart! It does get's harder to really stay healthy as you get older...and it is more important to do so. +2 Ilike this... and the lyme test isn't a bad idea, either.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well welcome to our world... one thing that works for me is invite a few friends - group therapy! Car pool and take two cars do a distance leg with shuttle... get out there...

If all else fails find a fit thirty something unrelated and have her out in front....
    Kinda like Benny Hill. When that stops working, put someone totally undesireable to you behind you chasing you.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

See the doc. Then, if appropriate, recommend running, light weightlifting, and as much trail time as you can get in.

Images

whats the hurry? at 55 i have good days and bad, but i have learned to stop stressing out about mpd, and worry more about enjoying the ride.yes, i cant push as hard as i did 30 years ago, but i do have more stamina,and i can still put up the same mpd, just by slowing down a little more, pacing myself better, and smelling the flowers along the way.
    and has lyme become the answer to every question regarding fatigue?

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ....So I ask,are you sleeping well at night ?...
    Unfortunately not well at all in recent years....probably part of the equation that needs addressed. I do somewhat better if I get a good long walk in after work and and stick to a more disciplined schedule which has been challenging at times. I guess its time to get a little more committed to a better routine....thanks for the reminder.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++