WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

When I did the AT I was a spry 26 & hiked a bit with Mountain Goat, Vern. My pace would leave him behind on the climbs yet catch up to me on the downhills. On my PCT hike I met & hiked with some with Brice Hammock then well into his 70's & slowed down by his 30ish daughter. When I met him at an ALDHA West conference a few years later I chatted with him about his summer adventures. He said his hike that year had really beat him up. No more long distance hikes for him! Nothing over 500 miles. I think he was 82 at the time. I hope I can hike like he did, doing the tripple crown twice after retired & then some.
    I guess as I get older it's just slow & steady. Linger over views & flowers. I will lay out my sleeping pad & take an extended lunch break & read in pictures stops. Maybe read a little. When I did the high Sierra of PCT I bypassed in 95 I met up with Ranger Dave. When we parted company due to resupply one of the last things he did was thanking me for reminding him how to hike "Civilized". To me now the hike is the journy. Yes completing a hike means a lot, but no longer is my primary focus. I want to hike, enjoy my surroundings, meet people & experience the local area.
    Last edited by Mountain Mike; 04-28-2012 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    When I did the AT I was a spry 26 & hiked a bit with Mountain Goat, Vern. My pace would leave him behind on the climbs yet catch up to me on the downhills. On my PCT hike I met & hiked with some with Brice Hammock then well into his 70's & slowed down by his 30ish daughter. When I met him at an ALDHA West conference a few years later I chatted with him about his summer adventures. He said his hike that year had really beat him up. No more long distance hikes for him! Nothing over 500 miles. I think he was 82 at the time.
    Another mold breaker,hope you can follow in his foot steps.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    ...No more long distance hikes for him! Nothing over 500 miles. I think he was 82 at the time. I hope I can hike like he did, doing the tripple crown twice after retired & then some.
    ...Based on some recommendations above been reading "Younger Next Year" and while the message is not totally new it sells the importance of a higher level of vigilance for us over 50 folks if we want to enjoy our hikes like your friend in his 80's. Trying to put it into practice the last couple of weeks and now realize I had slipped a bit on the fitness level. The energy is still there, just need to work a bit more to tap into it. Amazed at how good I feel compared to 3 weeks ago!
    Kevin

lymes disease & guillen berre (on the tv show HOUSE, its always guillen berre syndrome ;-)

Get that pack under 15lbs with 5 days of food and 2lbs of water. I'm not there yet, but I am at 18lbs with 5 days of food and 2lbs of water.
    Tech-Na-Bill

i did a 70mile section in 2010, i am 53 and by the 6/7th day I was whipped. I also run 20-25 miles per week. I attribute the lack of energy to poor sleep and overly heavy leather boots that I have since changed out for lighter hikers.

I admit I cant climb up and down a ladder all day painting the house like I could when I was 25. I pay people to do that stuff now.

I dont think my overall energy level is that much less. I just takes a bit longer to recover

Images

testosterone supplements

I agree with others about a medical checkup. I was slowing down at 60. It turned out to be a tumor. They took out some of my guts and I am back on the trails at 69.

It also helps to keep eating all day and take more breaks.

Images

Ask your doctor to do a OH-Vit D level, B-12 and testosterone levels too. Those are the three that can cause fatigue.

Ditto Moytoy and John Gault. Had a physical lately? Lots of undetected conditions can sap stamina (e.g., Atrial Fib), lots of possibilities that can be fixed.

Virginia Tortoise

I've slowed down in the last few years. I attribute it to weight gain and the need to lower my pack weight. But I do believe that one needs to lower their expectations as far as mph and mpd as they hit their 60's. Most people can't bust the miles like a 20 year old.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Every one of these posts are dead on and informative in my opinion. I find that staying hydrated and eating small snacks throughout the hiking day helps to keep up my energy level. I am currently not a hammock hanger but have considered finding and carrying one of those "pocket hammocks" for power naps on the trail. Couldn't hurt!
    Thanks I was being pensive and coy and waiting to weigh in,,,, then u removed the doubt,,,,but that's what makes WB so much enjoyable....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I know i started to slow down a little, and after some blood work found my thyroid was slowing down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++