WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Fingernail clippers, tweezers

Carry them or not? Can they be found easily in hostels? Are they worth their weight? I hate to be the UL backpacker that continuously borrows items from other hikers. I can see where they would come in handy at times but are either used frequently enough to warrant carrying them on an entire thru?

Bring clippers. I would NEVER use ones at a hostel. Even the thought of that grosses me out.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

I always bring both don't know when you will need them. For my part if weight is a factor I will try to find other ways to cut down my pack weight by cutting down on what items weight the most an 1/2oz here and there for me will not make that much deference at the end.

My 0.8 oz pocket knife has scissors and a little finger nail file thing that I've not bothered to break off. If I get them wet I can trim my nails with this pretty small scissors. But I did find a big honking clippers in one hiker box along the way on the AT, borrowed it, ran it through hot water first but then used it, cleaned it, and put it back. I wouldn't say it's common to find one, but on the AT at least you might run into them once or twice.

In any event, I wouldn't carry one, you can make do somehow.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

One other note, even if you don't use a bounce box (which I don't), you might find yourself with one or two "gear swap" points. I.e., mailing a heavier sleeping bag home and getting a lighter one in the mail. At such a gear swap point you can mail yourself a big heavy toenail clipper and then mail it back home. I've done this on three thru-hikes; sent an electric beard trimmer too.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

In my case it is either carry a fingernail clipper or crawl off the trail with an infected toe. Not an option (YMMV).

As for tweezers, my SAK has a fairly useless pair. A pointy tip tweezer would be good for tick removal. Given the Lyme Disease threat in some areas, this may be essential. Is there a good way to get ticks without a tweezer? The only other use I can think of would be for splinter removal, but I usually dig those out with a sewing needle, which I carry with some thread for sewing repairs.

I carry a small set of fingernail clippers. My 3 season base weight is down to right at 10 lbs, so I figure I can afford that luxury (I hate long finger nails, and wont bite/tear them).

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I carry what I need via my small jackknife and works fine. Your nails usually get soft enough in your shoes that the scissors is adequate.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Needle nose tweezers are a part of my first aid kit.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I carry a file and pick up clippers when I need them.

Question: Are tweezers used to actually dig the ticks out from under the skin???

I have never had a tick, but KNOW that any squeezing of them while attached is NOT good.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Question: Are tweezers used to actually dig the ticks out from under the skin???

I have never had a tick, but KNOW that any squeezing of them while attached is NOT good.
    http://www.aldf.com/lyme.shtml#removal

I carried my own finger nail clippers. I'm a gram weenie too so that's really saying something.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Journal Entries
    Images

A Swiss Army knife is the answer. Use the little sissors to cut your nails. Get a knife that includes tweesere. You will have a knife, can opener, wine bottle opener, nail file and much more in one small package. You don't know how handy a Swiss Army knife is until you carry one.
    Grampie-N->2001

I carried both on my AT hike. For me, foot maintenance including trimmed toe nails, was absolutely essential...without healthy feet, I knew I wouldn't get too far. I used the tweezers 6 times or so to safely and "thoroughly" pluck ticks from various parts of my body.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    A Swiss Army knife is the answer. Use the little sissors to cut your nails. Get a knife that includes tweesere. You will have a knife, can opener, wine bottle opener, nail file and much more in one small package. You don't know how handy a Swiss Army knife is until you carry one.
    I agree a SAK is great. I always have one in my pocket (Tinker). But I can't get a good toe nail clipping with SAK scissors and the tweezers have a wide tip which is not good for tick removal, so I carry all three. I guess that makes me a tool-weenie and not a gram-weenie?

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    I carried my own finger nail clippers. I'm a gram weenie too so that's really saying something.
    Ditto this, and tweezers are always in my first aid kit. These are about the only metal objects I carry. Tent stakes and a razor blade are the others.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

It sounds like that the Swiss either the Wegner or Victorinox folks need to make a knife that also includes a fine tipped tweezers, and a nail clipper. I had seen a nail clipper that had a knife combo, but it was cheap import garbage.....possible knife request to our Swiss friends for a quality light as possible version incorporating several functions.

Another vote on the Swiss Army knife... I have several of the small ones with a knife, screwdriver/file, scissors, tweezers, and toothpick that I've used for over ten years, and I've always used the scissors to cut my nails.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    It sounds like that the Swiss either the Wegner or Victorinox folks need to make a knife that also includes a fine tipped tweezers, and a nail clipper. I had seen a nail clipper that had a knife combo, but it was cheap import garbage.....possible knife request to our Swiss friends for a quality light as possible version incorporating several functions.
    I went to their web sites and submitted the suggestion. Then I saw Wenger has a nail clipper: http://www.wengerna.com/swiss-clipper-16930
    But it still has the flat tipped tweezer.

Although this might work too. http://www.wengerna.com/giant-knife-16999
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++