WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default New Trent is Incredible!

Been a New Trent fan boy for awhile. They make external battery packs one can use to recharge phones and other digital toys. I had purchased their ACD66 which provides 6600 mAh and weighs 195g. I figured that would allow me to use the hell outta my droid, and give me a recharge on my camera battery to boot.

In actual practice, I never used that much capacity, and I was looking at that 195g brick wondering if I could lighten my load. So I go to their new, improved web site, and see their brand new IMP30D iRazer. 3000 mAh and only 45g! To put that in perspective, the ACD66 provides 33.8 mAh/g, and the IMP30 promised 66.6. Incredible! And for only $29.95! Fantastic!

I've always thought the words "incredible" and "fantastic" were misused as superlatives. When you parse them out, they really mean "not credible," and "not based on reality." And thars the rub. The IMP30D weighs 87g on my digital scale... Almost double what they specified. And that comes to 34.5 mAh/g, which is inline with, and slightly better than the ACD66.

And this isn't the first time I bought something from them to find their specified weight was a fantasy.

It's a nice unit. Slim, relatively light, built in USB cable. I'm keeping it, and will work it out to see how many charges I get off of it. But I've written them to suggest that they review their specs ...

Bah ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I just purchased this a few days ago. 50 extra hrs is worth the extra weight to me.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree. I figure it's good for two complete recharges, and I'm real happy with losing almost 4 ozs in this transaction. I just don't like basing decisions on manufacturer's specs, only to find out the specs are bull^^^^, er, someone's fantasy.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

I had the complete opposite experience w/ New Trent. The 2 words make me shudder w/ disgust.

I'm glad you had a better experience.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    ... I'm glad you had a better experience.
    Heh! You didn't read my post, did you?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Images

[
    Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Been a New Trent fan boy for awhile.

It's a nice unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    Heh! You didn't read my post, did you?
    Sure I did. Other than weight, it seems like you've been pleased w/ the actual purpose of the devices... to charge your tech toys. My experience was different because the device wouldn't hold a charge from the get-go, and their c/s was appalling. It certainly sounds like you've "had a better experience".
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

++ New Posts ++