WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hot and Dry

Images

Default Hot and Dry

It was nearly 90 degrees in Athens today and we are about 6" behind in rain - looks like another dry year. Even if you are a crazy climate change doubter, you will agree that if we don't get some relief, the streams in NC and GA may be really dry when the SOBOS come through in about 5 months from now. I suppose, I'll load up gallon jugs again and set them out at trailheads this year barring some good tropical depressions this summer. It's a helpless feeling.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Too early to tell. Things can change.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Let's hope they change - we need some major shift in weather patterns or the southeast is in for a drought - - my dog and I just went for late night walk and we were kicking up dust and the creek near my house is just a trickle - and it's not even May yet! November through May is supposed to be wet in the south - - pop up thunderstorms which should be plentiful are supposed to keep things wet enough and carry us through the summer - right now we have nearly no groundwater and no forecast for much rain - it's also hot - strangely hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    ... Even if you are a crazy climate change doubter... It's a helpless feeling.

Nevermind the several days of snow here (Montana), and the frequent rain, or the strong winter in east europe this year...snow is warming, warming is cooling and we have always been at war with East Asia.

Doom doom doom beats the drum. The end of the world is nigh!

In 2010 I did the first 500 miles of the AT (Springer to VA) in April and it snowed like crazy..the Smokies were choked with snow (I bypassed them since I was on a tour-hike that year, not a thru-hike).

Dammed if it snows, dammed if it doesn't.

lol global warming

We just got snow in Virginia a week ago, not to mention when I was in Iraq a few years ago it snowed in baghdad for the first time in like 60 years.

Yep, really pretty dry down at my Atlanta suburban hell home. But we have had plenty of rain this year at Grassy Gap up here in Suches. Over 20" YTD which is near normal. Just a week ago Saturday we had over 2" and over 2" on Wednesday 3 days earlier. But it is unseasonably warm for sure.

Last summer in my lo-cal,It did not rain much(less than a that required to wet a whistle)and I didn't have to cut the grass for 6 weeks through late July and early august.The grass had all but died,and in september when the rains came back,the grass was restored to the lush green blanket that required cutting once again.Now I'm not saying that the rain dance I did helped....but ya never know!The Ole saying "Pray for Rain"might just be worth a shot.

Oops I did it again,.........that's late July-early Sept

Images

I see all of the posts about - well, what about the late snow here and there and the fact that it rained at this time and so forth - - I like to feel good too - - but Lake Lanier is SIX FEET below it's average SUMMER pool - - we're in a drought and a heat wave - - strange deviations aside - - "doom, doom, beats the drum" - - I smell what you're cooking - - I'm an optimist but I'm also scared shi$less

Images

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_southeast.htm

So far it looks like the bulk of the AT corridor in the south isn't too bad. Southern two thirds of Georgia looks pretty bad.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_southeast.htm

So far it looks like the bulk of the AT corridor in the south isn't too bad. Southern two thirds of Georgia looks pretty bad.
    yeah - I was in SC rainstorm last week - it missed us (in GA) but western NC did get a pretty good hit - - I'm hopeful for sure

Journal Entries
    Images

It is the driest year in 48 years reported by our wonderful govt weather people....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

it's almost comforting to know that it was this dry once upon a time 48 years ago - thanks WOO - still really worried that I should move my family to Canada - my wife and I own a house plus 2 rental houses and a building with some commercial stuff - we have jobs and my little kid is in a good school with good friends - I have buddies that I run and work out with at the gym where I am a member and hang out with at our local pub - it would be really hard to pull up roots and move but we are actually considering it - - I think that global warming and climate change (politics aside if you prefer) is far and away the largest issue of our time - I think in the next few years this will become evident - - still hopeful for a good soaking rain though.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    it's almost comforting to know that it was this dry once upon a time 48 years ago - thanks WOO - still really worried that I should move my family to Canada - my wife and I own a house plus 2 rental houses and a building with some commercial stuff - we have jobs and my little kid is in a good school with good friends - I have buddies that I run and work out with at the gym where I am a member and hang out with at our local pub - it would be really hard to pull up roots and move but we are actually considering it - - I think that global warming and climate change (politics aside if you prefer) is far and away the largest issue of our time - I think in the next few years this will become evident - - still hopeful for a good soaking rain though.
    Holy Carbon Foot prints!

To put it in perspective, I read somewhere that Lake Michigan is at it's lowest point in 60 years. You read that right, the last time it was this low, your Grandfather was fishing in it.

It will not matter, come this December, if the Mayan's are correct.

Journal Entries

dont recall anyone ever claiming the climate was supposed to be constant.
    Recall the dark ages? Summer was so short in Europe there were famines, couldnt grow food. Days were dim.
    Always been changing, always will
    Oxygen content of atm was like 39% when dinosaurs roamed, and was warmer and wetter

BTW "experts" generally say that global warming will result in wetter conditions, not drought. Pure conjecture , because there are no experts, only paid shills producing data to support their grants.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    To put it in perspective, I read somewhere that Lake Michigan is at it's lowest point in 60 years. You read that right, the last time it was this low, your Grandfather was fishing in it.
    ... and there were fish that were actually indigenous to it ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D:1283624
    Just don't move near permafrost or muskeg. If it becomes too warm you will sink in the mud.

++ New Posts ++