WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Crime and other trails

I'm just wondering. We are hearing of a LOT more crime being committed on the AT over the past decade or so. Serious crime as well as petty crime. I've never heard of much on other trails, even the popular ones. I'm sure some exists, but it seems that the AT has WAY more than it's share. Why? Too well known? Too Civilized? Shelters attracting the low-lifes?

It is getting troubling, and it's getting harder and harder to say with conviction that these are isolated incidents any more.

Safer than many cities? Probably. Safer than most any other trail? Probably not.

Exactly how bad is this now?

I suspect that we're hearing about it more often due to the ease with which information, stories are capable of being disseminated.
    And with more hikers/people on the trail statistically speaking the probability of these incidents is going to increase.
    I think a hiker is far safer and less likely to become prey to his fellow man than on the trail than off.
    If your instincts tell you someone is a "creeper" chances are he is and take appropriate measures.
    ALWAYS trust your instincts; studies conducted in DoD and in the civilian world have proved they are rarely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    We are hearing of a LOT more crime being committed on the AT over the past decade or so.
    What is the source of this hypothesis?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    What is the source of this hypothesis?

My ears and eyes.

Images

Is there more crime on the AT than there used to be? I'm not sure since I don't have the stats to say yes or no. Have the last couple of years seemed to be an upswing? I'd say yes.

As far as what happens on the other trails, that's hard to say. This is, after all, an AT forum. Yes there are rooms hikes on other trails but those rooms aren't very active. If you were to frequent the PCT or CDT lists, I'm sure you'd get a much better sense of what's happening there. Is there crime on other trails? Yes, without a doubt. Is the AT the worst? I wouldn't say that.

The one thing I think people forget is the AT runs through the most populated areas of the US. It has way more visitors than any other trail. It's more well known than any other trail. It's more accessible than any other trail. Unfortunately, it also makes it easy for criminals to access the trail.

Having said all of that, I'm doing another thru in 2013. I have no concerns for my safety. I would suggest to any prospective hiker that common sense and listening to your gut will do a good job at keeping you safe.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe less crime on the trail today. Just more information. Everylittle thing gets out there. Big difference between BC (Before Computers) and AC (After Computers)

Advice: I for 1 am not sweating it but if your worried, take a self-defense course prior to leaving, safety in numbers, carry a storm whistle to alert others, etc. just like food, clothing, shelter, and first aid....Be prepared and trust your gut but I feel for the most part you'd be o.k.

Quote Originally Posted by GritsNgreens View Post
    Advice: I for 1 am not sweating it but if your worried, take a self-defense course prior to leaving, safety in numbers, carry a storm whistle to alert others, etc. just like food, clothing, shelter, and first aid....Be prepared and trust your gut but I feel for the most part you'd be o.k.
    Every year, 2-3 million people visit the AT (ATC data).
    Every year, 2-3 million people visiting the AT are not crime victims (alert the press).

Images

Lots of illegals on the PCT. I believe that's a felony.

Majortrauma is right. You didn't hear about them in the past because you didn't hear about them, not because it didn't happen.

++ New Posts ++