WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trail Moochers

Life tends to be situational. Use common sense and do what you think is best.

I do think that there is a lot of misinformation out there too. I have read on several recent threads that the cost of hiking the AT is roughly $1 per mile. Huh?? $2200 for a six-month hike?? That's about $12 per day for supplies, laundry, showers, the occasional hostel and weekly pizza and beer. I'm thinking about $3 per mile at the very least for hikers unless they have a heck of a lot of drop boxes or sponsors. Maybe some of them think that they can survive on Ramen, but that does get old. If this is the information that most young hikers believe, then no wonder they are mooching on the trail. I think many of them don't realize that they will be hungrier than usual and that supplies will be a little more expensive.

That $1 a mile estimate has been around for a least the last 20 years. Inflation and common sense dictate that number has to have gone up.There is nothing you can do today for the same cost or less than 20 years ago (except rent a movie).
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Live_for_hiking View Post
    Life tends to be situational. Use common sense and do what you think is best.
    This pretty much sums up my philosophy - trust your instincts. I've actually met some homeless guys who while obviously in need, did not outwardly "mooch" or beg. Once while section-hiking in CT and base-camping at a State Park, a homeless guy intending to walk to Florida hung with me for a day and never asked for anything but advice. Offered him space at my campsite which he accepted but that was it.

As others have said, the true "moochers" are those ill-prepared would-be thruhikers who cheat service providers every chance they get. And regrettably, there's even a few on WB who encourage such behavior.

Man the trail seems to have changed, it's been a long time (over 10 yrs) since my last hike on the AT and I gotta tell ya , reading this post has definetly made me re-think the one I was planning, saving, and looking forward to, in 2013. Is it even worth it? from the sounds of it it seems all I'm going to do is get hassled my entire trip. I don't drink anymore so the odds of someone getting beer $$ from me is Jack and *****, as far as food, water, shelter etc. (ya know the neccesities) No Prob. I refuse to let anyone suffer weather they suck at planning or not. Please note the key word...neccesities, as far as luxury items I'm open for trade and or sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    Only a problem if you let it be. I have not run into anybody mooching. Oh I take that back. Lazy Susan. Most the hikers I have been around are prepared. Just remember if you give someone something. You might really need it later. Take care of yourself first. Have fun no moochers allowed.

hey Sweetspot its Rollin. Lazy Susan is now a legend a guy passed me the other day and said a woman shuttled ahead and then called the police because of Lazy Susan. He must have been talking about burning shelters again.

PS Thank you again for the cabin in NOC I did not see you after that but I asked everyone who was doing big miles if they had seen you. Most of the crew ended up in Hot Springs at the same time but Weatherman and Waterboy were nowhere to be found. Yukon, Yodeler, Firefox, Baby Scrooge, lady Forward, Josh, W and I were there.

I had an experience with a moocher 2 weeks ago. I was in town and Atlas came up to me and asked if he could stay in my room. I was caught off guard b/c I never had something like that happen. I said OK even though I really didn't want to. He said he couldn't afford paying $40 for a hotel room. While staying with me, he was smoking cigs, talking on a cell phone, bought a few 2 liter bottles of soda, etc. That's the last time I'll be caught off guard like that. I heard lots of stories about him at NOC. Seems like he's making quite the name for himself on the trail this year.

Did he not offer to pay anything?

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Did he not offer to pay anything?
    No. He said he had less than $20. He hurt his back and is collecting disability. He needed to wait until the 1st to get more money.

I'm sorry but if you can't afford a cheap $40 room 2 weeks into your hike, you shouldn't be on the trail.

But like I said, he caught me off guard. I'll never be caught off guard like that again. LOL.

Thanks for sharing that. I think that the more we are aware of these types, the more we will be prepared to just say no. Not be caught off-guard as you were so thank you. Again, I am not referring to a fellow hiker who is truly in need of first-aid, maybe a little fuel, etc....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++