WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trail Moochers

Default Trail Moochers

For anyone on the AT in the last 4 yrs - is this a widespread problem? I don't mind helping a fellow hiker in need, but I'm going to be traveling light myself.

It seems to me that there is a fine line between being a sucker and coming across as a selfish jerk. What is trail etiquette?

Any suggestions? Would appreciate hearing how others deal with the situation...

Great question and I also want to hear how thru hikers handle it. I could see it getting real old, real fast.

I would always help someone in an true emergency but as the saying goes "Poor Planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part."

Journal Entries
    Images

Hike your own hike.

Also No is a complete answer.

Only a problem if you let it be. I have not run into anybody mooching. Oh I take that back. Lazy Susan. Most the hikers I have been around are prepared. Just remember if you give someone something. You might really need it later. Take care of yourself first. Have fun no moochers allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Great question and I also want to hear how thru hikers handle it. I could see it getting real old, real fast.

I would always help someone in an true emergency but as the saying goes "Poor Planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on my part."
    +1 I like this very much,and will probably use this......with my kids. LOL HeHeHe

I only see it a problem if you are staving for friendship and allow yourself to be used. Just like in the real world.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

On the AT I always helped a fellow thru-hiker. Happened several times and I was glad to be able to to help them (money, food, medication). On the PCT I helped those who had requested the help including one guy who appeared to be living on the PCT and requesting help from everyone who passed by. I gave him some food like I had given the others because each had asked at a time where I was carrying too much food. Ask yourself this -- if a fellow hiker needs help and you're able to help them without much of a sacrifice on your part, why not help them? Datto

I think there is a real difference between helping a fellow hiker get out of a jam and dealing with a habitual moocher.

Images

I ran out of water on a hot day this year. Totally missed the spring which was off the trail. Was not to the point of it becoming an emergency but was really impressed that a fellow hiker offered me some water to get to the next spring. It made my day a whole lot easier.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I think there is a real difference between helping a fellow hiker get out of a jam and dealing with a habitual moocher.
    Some times they are the same thing!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Mouching has been a national epidemic now for at least a generation. You will only recognize a moucher if you are around them for some time. I find it is often the same people who need bailing out all the time. Not to say I haven't forgotten salt, or toothpaste, or whatever myself. For that reason, everyone gets the benefit of my doubts on the trail, once.
    Be Prepared

I would help a fellow hiker in need of water in a heartbeat. I'm referring to the habitual moochers who live on handouts on the trail. Also as a woman, I don't relish the idea of stopping and pulling out some cash or food because it is easier to be mugged. After reading some of these posts, my fiancé is ready to hire a Marine for me.

Images

I always think of this:

In two decades of hiking the AT, I can't say habitual moochers have ever been a problem. The trail homeless I've met have been harmless and grateful for anything. I have adopted hikers now and then and made sure they had a hot meal in town and even on occasion a place to stay. Made them feel good, for sure, and made me feel good too. It doesn't happen often, and to tell the truth, I've felt great that I've been in a position to help. I'm told that when you put something in a Buddhist monk's begging bowl, it is traditional to say thank you to the monk, for the opportunity to give. I've heard a speaker who consults for not-for-profits talk about how your hands are positioned when you receive a gift -- outstretched. And how they are positioned when you give a gift -- outstretched. What about a person whose arms are crossed over his or her chest? To give or to receive is part of the same cycle of life. To cut yourself off from either is to cut yourself off from life. Sorry to preach!

WIApilot, I am a a old women hiking alone. I have never felt like I needed a Marine. But I will take one. You will be fine. There are more moochers in the city then on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Mouching has been a national epidemic now for at least a generation.
    On my first Great Adventure with my buddy Tony, we hitchhiked across the United States on much of a whim.

In Seattle we had gotten off the bus from traveling into the city from the town of Issaquah where we were staying with Tony's cousin. Tony and I sat on a bench right where the bus left us off in downtown Seattle. Sitting next to me was a guy who was a professional begger.

Tony and I watched the guy do his activities, then come back to the bench where Tony and I were sitting. Tony and I struck up a conversation with the guy and eventually inquired how he got into the line of work he had chosen. He said to us, "I was an aerospace engineer at Boeing before all the layoffs." He went on to say, "I make more money per hour doing this part time, four mornings a week, than I made per hour working as an engineer at Boeing."

I asked him how much he was making a year. He said (in todays dollars) he made more than $60,000 per year working part time. He said he now had the time to spend with his kids and still make money during the mornings.

Boeing eventually got their act together and ended up re-hiring many of the engineers they'd laid off back then.

I suspect some of them never went back.

Datto

Images

I've never felt like this was a big problem - - I always have fun helping people if I can - even giving food to homeless dudes that hang out in the shelters when I'm winter hiking makes me feel good. I probably involve myself a little too much in other people's epics - - like showing new backpackers tricks to keep dry and warm and keep their stuff in good repair but even a little bit of that is fun for me. In the rare case that someone is really starting to bother me, I'll just move on and avoid them - that's my take anyway - remember that good karma does come back to you - - my two cents ....

Journal Entries
    Images

Is offering a legitimate trade the same thing as mooching?

Journal Entries

Havent encountered any myself, but Iver read in a few books as well as here, that there are a few that try to hike with no money, or spend it all in towns , drinking, partying etc. Then try to take advantage of the kindness of others to stay on the trail instead of going home. They..are moochers. They have an alternative, go home, go back to school, go to mommy and daddy's house.

People who are needy or homeless or unprepared or just plain use bad judgement are not. In my opinion..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    For anyone on the AT in the last 4 yrs - is this a widespread problem? I don't mind helping a fellow hiker in need, but I'm going to be traveling light myself.

It seems to me that there is a fine line between being a sucker and coming across as a selfish jerk. What is trail etiquette?

Any suggestions? Would appreciate hearing how others deal with the situation...
    Is mooching a problem? No, I don't think so. I've never had anyone ask for a handout, but I've given help to several people on the trail.

What is trail etiquette? Treat people like people - if you can share and are willing, then please let your conscience guide you. There's no rule that requires you to help anyone, other than yourself. But if you were truly in need, what would you want others to do for you? I would rather share from my abundance than to withhold from someone who might be in need.
    Biggie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++