WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a Dana Terraplane Overkill that I have been using as a training pack with a 75 lb load. This is a super pack, but too heavy for most of us. I bought the pack in 1998 but haven't used it on the trail in several years. I would sell it, if you're interested send me a private message.

Run down to Killeen at Ft Hood and check out the General Jackson , Ranger Bob, or Calvary stores. They have the military rucksack that handles those loads very well. And for a few dollars extra you can have them custom designed with extra pockets the size and location you want to carry all that extra water.

OK, I was wrong about the water needed for this hike. I need to carry 3 gallons of water which is closer to 24lbs. We will be about 5 days and hiking up some hill top that I don't know the name of. The leader suggested I get a "dromedary" to hold large amounts of water.

So that would be 25lbs + gear

My base weight in my ULAP2 is 20lbs (I'm trying to go lighter, but in time)

So that's why I need a pack that can hold the large volume of water

I've carried a Camp Trails Omega for several years and it works well. It's an out of production ext frame. You'll have to find a used one.

It will carry more stuff than you can.
    "In the abundance of water the fool is thirsty."...Bob Marley

Images

Default To answer your question...

...the pack you want is an Arc Teryx Bora 95. I have carried 80 lbs in it, and it feels more like 40-50. The suspension and hipbelts are quite simply, IMO, the very best in the business for carrying HEAVY loads. It is an insanely expensive pack, last time I checked it was $ 450 ish.

How many times you gonna use this pack? Big Bend is cool, but not $450 pack cool. Bum an old external, look at Campmor, or rent? Can't see humping 3 gallons, but I was there in Feb.

Images

I have a Kelty Super Tioga and it could easily handle that sort of load. The key is VOLUME usually stated cubic inches - for instance, the Super Tioga is rated for 6000 cubic inches (which translates into about 70 lbs.)

I have used the Super Tioga for 7-10 days trips with up to 50 lbs (on cold-weather trip). 70 lbs would fit, but would you be able to lift it and carry it all day?

When I went on the AT, I did NOT use the external-frame Super Tioga, but a lighter internal frame with much less volume. Mostly I did this to force myself to cut back on stuff. (It worked, my FTSO load was about 35 lbs.)

REI OUTLET has some packs and tents on sale right now that could be of interest to you.
    http://www.rei.com/outlet/index.html?stat=header_outlet

Jags

Default Big Backpack loads.

I've spent most of my life in Texas... Lots of backpacking.
    Water is the biggest problem in hiking Texas. Spent four days in Big Bend National Park once.
    Carried three gallons of water. 24lbs water plus gear.
    It gets cold there at nignt too, adding to pack weight.
    I used a Dana Terraplane monster pack for these big loads. Love this pack..
    check it out for big load comfort.

Looks like I'm leaning towards an Osprey Aether 90. It can hold 50lb and only weighs about 5.5lbs. Need to find one at a local store and load it up first though to see if it really can hold the wieght.

Turns out the Aether won't fit me I have a 24" torso so that puts me in the X-Large pack sizes. Leaning towards a Osprey Crescent 85 or a Dana Design Terraplane.

Roswell,GA- Wishing I was still living in NH
    Images

I'd look at the Northface Catalyst75, 5500 cubic inches.
    I have a NorthFace bag simular to this but about 9 years older and I still use it everytime I am hiking. You could fit a body in this and nobody would know.
    http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...productId=3529
    While you were waiting to be created, I was evolving.

Journal Entries
    Images

Kelty Continental Divide 5300.
    No water available. Unless you are on the river. But last year when I was there (go every year) the Rio Grand river was not running, believe it or not. This is not something too fool with. You can die there. Park rangers recommend one gallon a day per person. I have got by with less but I was VERY careful. On the longer hikes available I know folk who cache water jugs. I have never filtered out of Rio Grand. I just mentally can't trust my filter system (Sweetwater) because of what I have seen "dumped" into the river. I always wear just what I am wearing and all else (room) goes for water/food, prettry much. (Outside of tent/tarp, etc.) Hope this helps. It is beautiful beyond description. Worth the effort. Least visited Nat'l park in the USA. Only one with its own self contained Mtn range. The primere hike in TX is up into the Mtns. Do all of them. Stay overnight for sunset and sunrise. Don't hike until sun is up as Mtn lions are there. If you doubt you'd have a problem go to panther Junction and take a look at the Mtn Lion display/info they have. Nothing to play with that's for sure. Are you a birdwatcher? This is one of the great places in USA for birdwatching. birds fly up from south and split after BB and go East or West. Have a great time. ps.-showers only at Rio Grande Villiage.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Snarbles: Also, Only visit BB in Spring, fall or winter. You probably already know this. Sorry.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I like your idea of carrying some heavy weight. The Danas are great packs but they're not made anymore, at least by Gleason, although Marmot might be selling Terraplane/Astralplane knockoffs. Terraplanes have a tendency to sag under weight, let's say any more that 65 pounds, and so are not a perfect choice for 70 or more pounds.

The externals will work with weight but most of them just don't have the 6500-7000 cubic inch volume needed for hauling, even with stuff tied to the outside. I used an Ultra Tioga for several trips carrying around 70 pounds and it was rough on the hips tho not all users will agree.

Push comes to shove I'd go with an external, they're cheap(er)and can haul whatever you decide to lash to them. The big internals are bit more finicky and pricier, like the Crescents/Boras/Denali Pros, etc. The best heavy hauler of them all? I'm biased, but it's gotta be Mystery Ranch G-6000/G-7000 series. It's the only pack I've ever used that can haul 70-80 pounds and I don't feel any "hot spots" or "I wanna quit!" thoughts. And after a long trip when it's at 45-50 pounds, well, it feels like a daypack.

As far as externals go (and comparing similar cubic inches)- the Jansport's are lighter than the Keltys.

The Jansport Carson is a 4900 c.i. pack and weighs 4lbs 13oz
    The Kelty Super Tioga is a 4900 c.i. pack and weighs 6lbs 7oz

And the Carson is on sale right now at Campmor for $70

In my fanatical online research I've only ever seen positive comments about the Carson.

Just sharing what I've found- folks with more experience may have reasons for the heavier Keltys, I don't know.
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Garlic
    Images

Removed post, not applicable (four years old).
    Last edited by garlic08; 02-19-2009 at 00:46. Reason: Misread earlier posts
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The question was asked almost 4 years ago.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Will View Post
    IMHO, nothing carries a load like a Dana Designs Terraplane,

Exactly what I was going to chime in with. My 15 year old DD Terraplane is a heavy beast at 8lbs but there is not another pack in the world that I would carry when my load breaks a 45lb threshold or more (I've had 80lbs in there and while it was heavy, the pack is comfortable).

You can easily find them on Ebay, sometimes at a heck of a bargain, or you can drop a lot of cash and invest in Dana's new packs, Mystery Ranch. Very cool stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The question was asked almost 4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCYankee View Post
    Exactly what I was going to chime in with. My 15 year old DD Terraplane is a heavy beast at 8lbs but there is not another pack in the world that I would carry when my load breaks a 45lb threshold or more (I've had 80lbs in there and while it was heavy, the pack is comfortable).

You can easily find them on Ebay, sometimes at a heck of a bargain, or you can drop a lot of cash and invest in Dana's new packs, Mystery Ranch. Very cool stuff...

Wish I had noticed it was 4 years old before I typed that reply...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++