WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Rain Pants?

Default Rain Pants?

I am also having a debate whether to bring rain pants or just skip it. Are they worth it to have along? If so what are the lightest most breathable ones you know of?

Images

Most don't hike in rainpants. You need to decide how to keep warm in camp and during long breaks.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

DriDucks are the lightest, most breathable, They also are not very tough and can easily rip.

Quote Originally Posted by EAsprts26 View Post
    I am also having a debate whether to bring rain pants or just skip it. Are they worth it to have along?
    For warmer condition? No way.

For colder weather? I'm still a no but could see changing my mind. My current strategy in winter is a rain kilt (to keep my trunk reasonably dry) and have some light, dedicated down pants for camp. I just have not found conditions where I need more than just hiking pants in winter, while I am moving.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I love my rain pants - Marmot precip ( the old ones w/o the zip). I don't sweat in them when temps are below 55 or so. I wouldn't wear them above that unless I'm also wearing my bomb-proof waterproof boots and I wanna keep my boots dry too. They weigh too darm much (9 oz) for me to carry any more, but they do a good job.

I just got these Rain Chaps (only 2 oz.)http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=77

I haven't had a chance to wear them in the rain as the weather has been nice my last couple trips. I really only carry them when I think I might experience a day with rain/sleet/snow...what I think they call a winter mix in the weather world. Sorta when the temps are 30's, wet, windy, and nasty.

Images

Mont Bell
    Wind Pants- 3.1 oz.

Images

I use marmot precips full zip mostly for warmth when i take a break or at night but generally depending on the temp I usually just hike in shorts and an Ibex SS shirt if temp drops or its raining fairly hard I will put on a rain jacket

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Mont Bell Wind Pants- 3.1 oz.
    Just replaced/supplemented my Mountain Hardwear Conduit rain pants, at 9 ozs, with a pair of Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants at 2.8 ozs. The wind pants are are not waterproof. They're constructed of12-denier Ballistic Airlight ripstop nylon with Polkatex DWR finish. Reviewers have said they'll shed a quick shower, but will wet-out eventually.
    They have 12" zippers from the cuffs to allow them to be put on over boots. I'd use them in the same situation I'd use a wind shirt - Cold, windy conditions in the mountains. Probably all I'll need in three season hiking / or an AT thru. If I was trying to keep inner layers absolutely dry in winter conditions, I'd probably take my Mountain Hardwear.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=55919
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...amo_wind_pants
    http://hikelighter.com/2012/01/26/mo...mo-wind-pants/
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...amo-wind-pants
    Last edited by LDog; 04-28-2012 at 12:09.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    DriDucks are the lightest, most breathable, They also are not very tough and can easily rip.
    Those are heavy. I just weighed mine. It was over 140 grams. My tyvek pants in the same size were less than half the weight at 68.2 grams, or 2.4 ounces. They're dirt cheap at a couple bucks per pair.

Images

Oh, that size is extra large for both the tyvek and Dri Ducks. They both fit very loosely, and I'm normally a XXL. You skinny hikers could probably wear tyvek pants that weigh closer to an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Mont Bell
    Wind Pants- 3.1 oz.
    +1 on the wind pants for three season hiking. In a heavy rain you will get wet any way. In order to keep warm, the key is to focus on your torso and head. Legs and arms are of secondary importance.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Another +1 on the windpants, and the MontBell UL Windpants in particular (2.4 oz for medium, $66, DWR). The windpants won't really keep you dry per se, as a heavy rain will eventually wet through, but they are more breathable and comfortable than wearing pants in a cold rain, and when combined with gaiters can keep the rain from draining into the tops of your boots if that's a concern. They are also a nice option around camp or at the laundromat.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

ULA Rain Wrap. ~3 0z, protects from wind, great ventilation, dry place to sit, multi-use.

Thanks everybody, hopefully ill make up my mind soon...approximately 1 month and counting to my SOBO Thru!!!!!!! The anticipation is killing me!!!

++ New Posts ++