WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Using a bag liner as a warm weather bag

I tend to sleep pretty warm and was looking at options for a warm weather bag. Currently the only bag I own is a Marmot Sawtooth 15 degree down bag. I was looking at other warm weather down bags or quilts, but to be honest I don't know if it is that reasonable. I live in Georgia where our spring and fall are pretty short, I would say 9 months of the year are either really hot or pretty cold (at least by Georgia standards). When sleeping at home I generally will sleep with just a sheet unless the house is below 60 degrees.

That's why I am considering just getting something like a Sea to Summit Reactor mummy bag liner. It gives me a few more degrees of warmth and keeps my bag clean for cold weather months, and I don't see any reason that I couldn't use it for my summer bag rather than going and spending a couple hundred bucks on a 40 or 50+ down bag that will still be too warm for most of the late spring early summer here. Has anyone else done this?

In the middle of summer, I will often use a micro-fleece liner as my sleeping bag on weekend trips. Y'know ... for those nights when you don't really NEED a bag.

On a Thru-hike, I'd recommend having a 40 degree bag for the mid-atlantic states. A warmer bag for the start and finish. The idea is that you need a larger amount of insulation the more variable the conditions (potential for cold). Over a night or two, you don't risk a lot in the summer. Over a long distance hike, it seems more prudent to hedge your bets and use something more conservative over a wider temperature range.

I plan on using a 20 degree quilt for the start and finish. I will swap out to a 40 degree quilt in VA. Possibly swap to the 20 degree bag through the 100 mile wilderness.

That's my current thinking anyway ..... It is likely to change as I hike.

++ New Posts ++