WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bill Bryson and Katz :

I read somewhere that Bill Bryson wrote a book about touring America , and Katz went with him .
    Does anyone know the title of this book , if it exists ? David V. Webber

Journal Entries
    Images

It's called A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, and it's hilarious! It also has a great deal of facts about the trail including ecological, historical and more. Here's the link on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Red...5646830&sr=1-1
    Bryson's a brilliant writer. I read it twice and my son read it three times before he set on his 2012 At thru-hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Google Bill Bryson and you can see all the books he has writen.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSail View Post
    I read somewhere that Bill Bryson wrote a book about touring America , and Katz went with him .
    Does anyone know the title of this book , if it exists ? David V. Webber
    If you would like to read it,I have a copy you can have.Send me a PM with your info,and I'll stick it in the mail to you.Or if you have a kindle or Nook for PC they are available electronically.cheers

The post above is the reason I fell in love with the hiking community as I followed the white blazes north. In just three years, I had already forgotten how nice other people can actually be. I can't wait until life lets me get out of the city and walk again.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

He wrote "The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America" in which he travels around the country. But I don't think Katz is in any major role.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

My favorite was The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid. It showed how things were in the 50s and 60s. Lotta memories

I own " A Walk In The Woods " . I had heard that there was ANOTHER one with Katz in it ! David

I don't think Katz was in Lost Continent.

My childhood was much like Thunderbolt Kid. Except I wasn't a superhero. :-)

This is sort of a can of worms, folks, but let's be blunt: To call Mr. Bryson's best-known work a pice of non-fiction would be something of a stretch. Let's say he's a good story-teller and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSail View Post
    I own " A Walk In The Woods " . I had heard that there was ANOTHER one with Katz in it ! David
    Possibly "Neither here nor there"where hikes around Europe,never read that one.

Katz (a pseudonym) is in Neither Here nor There, about travels in Europe. He didn't hike, though, it was mainly on trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgiewave View Post
    Katz (a pseudonym) is in Neither Here nor There, about travels in Europe. He didn't hike, though, it was mainly on trains.
    Did you read,and if so,did you like it?

Bryson is a good writer but the disrespect to general trail etiquette hit a nerve with me. I threw the book in the trash after the chapter on self admitted littering (with lack of remorse) and woved never to read any of his books. I succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Did you read,and if so,did you like it?

Images

I was unimpressed with a walk in the woods as well. I will also donate my copy to someone who may want it pm me.

Images

I'm reading it now, my take after 6 chapters...It's very funny and entertaining. It feels like the movie billy crystal did "City Slickers" accept he decided to hike the AT with his NYC buddies instead of ranching. Him and Katz are your typical northeastern guys, he plays on the standard stereotypes in georgia, but still very funny.

My take, it's a must read for anyone who has hiked the AT, however he is not an AT community type of guy. I am sure he will rub me the wrong way at some point in this book.

Images

I have read every one of his books. I actually reread A walk in the Woods while on my 2002 thruhike because I wanted to see if he "rang true" I think he hiked some of the trail but I also think he could have written it as many authors do by researching and talking to hikers. I think he's a fine writer especiially his more academic works about language and history. ps.Credit Score: How can you complain about his playing on "standard stereotypes in georgia" yet you call him a "typical..northeastern guy" As a Boston boy all I can say is go **** yourself !
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Bryson is a good writer but the disrespect to general trail etiquette hit a nerve with me. I threw the book in the trash after the chapter on self admitted littering (with lack of remorse) and woved never to read any of his books. I succeeded.
    You are not alone.I liked the book and read it,thought it was a good read,read another one of his books,actually listen to it on my Ipod,the "History of nearly everything"more people and places than the Bible,lot of dates,but still a good read,and I don't think he litters in that one.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-27-2012 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Credit Score View Post
    I'm reading it now, my take after 6 chapters...It's very funny and entertaining. It feels like the movie billy crystal did "City Slickers" accept he decided to hike the AT with his NYC buddies instead of ranching. Him and Katz are your typical northeastern guys, he plays on the standard stereotypes in georgia, but still very funny.

My take, it's a must read for anyone who has hiked the AT, however he is not an AT community type of guy. I am sure he will rub me the wrong way at some point in this book.
    Sounds like he already rubbed you the wrong way,"What exactly do you mean by typical" Do you mean we say things like,fugetabout it,or you's guy's.Oh Swannie,how I love ya,how I love ya.

If it's a traveling book you're looking for, I recommend Donald Miller's "Through Painted Deserts". It actually turned me onto Bryson's book, which inherently turned me onto interest of the AT. But anywho, it's a great read and comedic to boot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++