WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Blood blister under big toe nail advice?

Tossed out my boots last week (20 years of loyal service). New boots gave me a nice blood blister under my big toe. 5 mile down hill in VA this weekend, but only 10 miles left and VA and all points South are done. Any advice, other than get boots that fit.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

If it's swollen and painful you can relieve the pressure easily by heating a paper clip or large sewing needle and piercing the nail; just be careful and go in only as far as necessary to permit the blood to leave (or squirt, if it's that bad). Painless if done right, it'll smell like singed hair.

Journal Entries

Just hike uphill from now on.....

Soak your boots in a bucket of water and then wear them until they are dry...they will be molded into the shape of your foot when you are done and you will get far fewer blisters.

Just Hitting My Stride!

When going down hill your boot will stop and inertia will cause your foot to slide inside and, voila, you get a blister on the tip of your big toe. Lace your boots tighter before a downhill section. Blisters can also be prevented by well fitting shoes, nonabrasive socks (wool?), cushioning (Mole skin?), and friction reducers like vaseline or talcum powder.

i use a small hobby drill, twist it slowly, works for me.

++ New Posts ++