WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Default Looking for DIY gear advice - sewing

Wanting to make the leap into sewing my gear. What are your experiences? Intial tips, suggestions, or good kits to use? Use a kit at all? Good webistes for reference? I have a good sewing machine...

Wondering if anyone has sewn any of these kits, namely the Minima Vest or Liberty Shell? I came across these intially and really like the style. Input? Thanks in advance, Phenix

Tips: get good thread, from for example diygearsupply.com. Practice on a lot of things. Make some small stuff sacks. Learn how to make a long seam, make sure your machine sews silnylon well before you start a real project, by making things like tent pole sacks, stuff sacks, and so on. Get good sharp scissors, do not use them on paper, only materials. Get a seam ripper. This is going to be your most important tool. I like the kind that has a little curve on the front with a tiny plastic ball on the one side of the curved blade thingie. Make sure you have adequate space. I've never used a kit, but Ray Jardine's ray way stuff is popular, as is thru-hiker.com patterns and kits. Good material supply sources: diygearsupply.com owfinc.com rockywoods.com questoutfitters.com sierrafabrics.com

Sorry, I mean seattlefabrics.com

I just started my first sewing project recently. Silnylon tent kit from Quest Outfitters. So far the hardest thing has been cutting things square and pinning. I'm looking at it as having some fun and learning something new. It'll be a huge bonus if it holds together and keeps me dry!! Oh and get one of those pizza wheel style cutters. Way better than scissors.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I just ordered the Liberty Ridge Shell. I read a few articles that suggested making the pattern from cheapo nylon from Wal-Hell, so i imagine ill try this for trial purposes. I will update after I make it with post-sewing woes and successes. Thanks for those who replied! New gear rocks!

good luck! post pics when you finish, I am looking to build something soon

I really suggest starting small with some stuff sacks or ditty bags. Get some extra fabric of the types you'll be using - silnylon, etc. - and practice, practice, practice! My first stuff sacks are pretty sad, but they work well enough and I've gotten better at it.

Most importantly: take your time, walk away if you get frustrated and have fun doing it. It's very satisfying to complete a project.

No matter what fabric, stitch on the trimmings first to make any needed machine tension adjustments.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I used the liberty kit shell with great success. Highly recommend it. I have mad two so far. One hooded and one non.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I heeded the advice of WB and started my sewing adventures with something less complicated. I made two stuff sacks (took about 20 mins.) then moved onto a fleece. I used the pattern from the Liberty Ridge shell with anti-pill fleece. Nothing great but the fabric was half off (with three different colors in the jacket, I look like the mexican flag )

The first jacket turned out great. The torso in front was a little short (I used the medium pattern) but should have no trouble lenghtening it when I make the actual Liberty Ridge shell. I found the cutting of the patterns was the hardest part, or at least making sure the paper stays put while I cut. I believe this affected the matching-up of some of the seems, namely the chest and zipper areas.

Otherwise, I really like the design of the jacket. Cant wait for the final product!

Great to hear! I've been eyeing that kit for awhile, but I'd need to make the pattern a little larger than what's offered. My daughter is a seamstress, so it's a matter of finding the time to do it.

Get a good sewing awl, various needles, strong thread and practice. Lots of good websites with guidance.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I had the same problem with the torso length in the front. I ended up modding it a bit by adding a waste band on the first and adjusting the pattern on the second.

Remember to adjust the back part of the pattern as well so that the front and back still meet. If you add 2" to the front adjust the back curve flattening it out so that the side seams meet.

Also, and inexpensive hole-punch has many uses.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

I actually got the new trail name of "Seamstress" while at the Woods Hole Hostel because much of my gear is home made. I used Jardine's instructions for a pack and gravity-fed water filter. Then I got an actual pattern for a windsuit which I made of clearance nylon. Lighter and less expensive than any windsuit I could buy! My advice on the sil-nylon is to staple it together first in what will be your seam allowance. It was much easier to handle for me after someone gave me that suggestion. It is very slippery to work with otherwise.

Images

When sewing slippery fabric - silnylon, mommentum etc, it can be helpful to do what is called 'taut sewing' you need to have one hand pulling the fabric gently from behind the presser foot, this helps keep a flat seam.

Use a quality polyester sewing thread such as Gutterman or Metrosene Do NOT use coats and clark - although, they have recently made a serious upgrade in the quality of their thread. If you need a stronger seam, I would just stitch it twice (if you can, fold over the seam allowance after the first line of stitching and top stitch that - this will give you a good strong seam. You can't really find stronger (industrial sewing thread) on small spools. I buy thread by the pound - about 10,000 yds per spool.

Make sure you only put the pins in the seam allowance if it's a waterproof fabric.

I sell a silnylon scrap bag on my website - it's a box stuffed full of scraps from my tents, pieces large enough for small, medium and large stuff sacks and plenty to practice on - all for $10.00 (plus shipping). I also sell a cuben fiber scrap bag -smaller pieces good for small stuff sacks, ditty bags, wallets etc.
    Judy - HeartFire/ LightHeart Gear http://www.lightheartgear.com

I have a walking foot machine and use the smallest diameter needle possible with a poly cotton blend thread. The cotton will swell when damp or wet and seal the needle hole.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Thanks for all of the great relpies, especially about the threads and 'taut' sewing. I will def be buying some of these threads

Ive been practicing my french seams, as the pattern has a lot of them. I will update with the finished product in due time!

Good advice above. I use a wood burning tool with a sharp point to cut nylon. I put the fabric on a kitchen cutting board and guide straight cuts with a metal yardstick. The heat seals the edges so they never unravel making the seams stronger.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I too use a wood burning tool. I cut on a double pane glass panel. You do run the risk of melting your work un intentionally though. I did that once and it was a heart breaker. Still, I use that patched piece of gear almost every trip.

++ New Posts ++