WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail conditions in NH and ME

Hello all, I would like to start north from Franconia Notch on May 1st without snow shoes???? What are the conditions? Can I do it? I need to finish my last AT section. Thanks, Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Hello all, I would like to start north from Franconia Notch on May 1st without snow shoes???? What are the conditions? Can I do it? I need to finish my last AT section. Thanks, Peace
    Check the Mt Washington site in my sig. You can also browse vftt.org for up to date trip reports. Right now, there is no snow, but that could change. I don't think you would need snowshoes but definitely microspikes.

Everything is socked in but the weather up there last week was good with lots of heat to melt the snow. There is barely any snow on the high summits but there are slabes of ice and some snow on the north facing sides of the mountains. Like I said, Id bring some sort of traction just in case but nothing more than that.
    Last edited by Chaco Taco; 04-23-2012 at 14:00.

No snow shoes would be required. Traction is generally recomended. We are currenty at the start of several days of rain and I dont think the summits got snow but check out the webcam on the mtwashington observatory website before you go. Randolph Mountain club also has a site updated weekly on thursdays which shows snow depth at Gray Knob cabin whihc is in a sheltered area in the Northern Presidentials at 4000 feet. This is indicative of the snow pack you may encounter in shady areas just below treeline (like Guyot Shelter)

Do note, most of the huts and campsites are closed or not yet staffed except in the valleys. Greenleaf may be open on a caretaker basis (check AMC site)Many of interior trails not used by dayhikers may not have had their spring "sweep" yet so watch out for blowdowns and widow makers.

Plan on wet conditions and hope for dry. Definitely plan for below freezing temps at night. This makes it tough as your footwear is most likely going to get wet and could freeze at night if you sleep up high. The weather in early may is a crapshot, on occasion we can get a nice long warm stretch but just as often we get in a three day cycle of rain damp dry and repeat.

The bugs were just coming out in Gorham last weekend at the end of the warm stretch. This rainy stretch will most likely cause the population to explode when it warms up. Bring Deet.

Chaco Taco, Thanks for getting back. I think I will give it a go on the 1st. Happy Trails Squire

Peakbagger Thanks for getting back. I plan to give it a go on the 1st. Happy Trails Squire

Well lets see. Less than a week from May 1st. We just had a really big rain storm. It's suppost to shower and snow flurries for the next few days. It's going to stay on the chilly side for a while. The trails are really mucky right now and there will be streaches of icy trail up high. This is a really bad time of year to try and do that section of trail. Please wait a month or two. Happy Trails - no, Misserable trails is more likely.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I live up that way, have hiked all of NH and am very familiar with the whites. Seriously, be prepared for any weather. I have seen it snow in July, I have backpacked in the summer and have literally froze. Snowshoes, maybe not, but you will need some microspikes or other form of ice protection in the higher elevations. Also, 7 -10 miles a day is a big day. Don't underestimate this section. Have fun and good luck !

++ New Posts ++