WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hiking with dog...first aid kit and other general advice requested.

Hi there. Im taking my first overnight with my dog Jack. We are actually hiking for 3 nights in Door County Wisconsin along the lake. Dogs are allowed on that trail, so I've done homework that way. I do have a tent.

He is a greyhound weimaraner mix. He is in great shape and athletic. Im putting together my first aid kit and wonder what else I might be missing for the doggie first aid kit.
    I have:
    wraps
    bandages
    tweezers
    styptic powder
    doggie pain meds
    med tape
    antibiotic ointment

What else might I need for the doggie first aid kit that would not be in mine?

What other general advice do you have? He will have his own sleep mat and fleece pocket to sleep in.
    He wears dog packs and will carry his own food. We have day hiked with the packs.
    He will have a fleece coat for chilly nights.
    He is up to date on all vaccines. Has heart worm tabs and Frontline Plus.

So, Im just wanting to make sure Im not forgetting or missing anything. Porcupines are a possibility and I do have a multi tool for pulling quills if necessary. He will be leased when we hike just for safety sake, so Im hoping not to have any run ins with anything of that nature. Jack is so very excited, as am I. He is my bestie and this adventure is going to be one for the books.

IMG_0283.jpg

My dog carries a set of light booties in her pack. At the first sign of foot trouble I put them on her. I've only used them a few times on hikes. Once she got cut from a piece of glass. I made her wear them a few times on walks to get used to them, it only took a few minutes. They have to be quite snug to stay on. I consider them good enough to get her home, to hike in occasionally, not regularly.
    I also carry a small bottle of "Genteal" eye drops. My dog gets eye irritation sometimes, especially in dusty/sandy conditions. That's just her.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genteal-R-...ndingMethod=rr

I'm always prepared to cut my trip short for the sake of my dog's safety. I also try to always have a bail-out plan.

Images

get urself a tick hook, unless ur a pro at getting them with tweezers. Or do they not have ticks up there? Heres a link, these things are amazing, takes a bit of practice tho.
    http://www.ticktwister.com/order.html

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are hiking in a reagon that has porcupines I would recommend that you bring pliers to pull quils out of your dog.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Grampie you are awesome up to now I never carried pliers or leatherman because they were heavy and could not come up with a good reason.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

naturegirl, like you i've been putting together my doggy first aid kit. There doesn't seem to be any serious comprehensive list of what to bring, till now. I found this youtuber (Beast12101).

This guy hikes with his dog and has a whole playlist of videos made about what he uses and even two videos dedicated two his first aid kit

He has a lot of other stuff about packs, bowls, lights, and other things. You can find the playlist Here.

I don't mind saying that i'm going to be modeling what i bring for my dog based on these videos.

++ New Posts ++