WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hanging in the cold.

I am planning to do a 2-3week hike in mid to late October. I plan to start just north of the Smokey Mountain park. I have stayed in my hammock down here in FL in mid to low 20's on the Suwannee river. I've even slept in it with my dog who was about 32lbs. back then. Those temps. were very cold even in a down bag with a prolite thermarest and lots of layers. What are the temps like on the NC/VA border in Oct.? From research, i've come up with an average of about 45. I dont know what altitude that is at tho so i cant be sure wut the temp on the trail will be. Would i be better off just bringing my tent? My dog will be with me but i plan on letting him sleep out. I put him in the hammock with me on the river cause he's gator bait. I'm not too worried about cougars on the AT.

Get yourself a down under quilt. hammockgear.com

yup, underquilt is a good idea

I love my JRB quilts.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'd definitely look into a UQ and highly recommend hammockgear as well. I love my Incubator.

I just did a hammock presentation last month for the Trailblazers. One of the topics was staying warm.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Journal Entries
    Images

My son (Snakesession aka Loner, currently doing his 2012 AT thru-hike) camped in Georgia last year mid October and the temps went down to 20 degrees at night some nights and that's further south than where you will hike.

Images

With the underquilt, rain fly, hammock and all the cordage to string everything up it seems like going the hammock rout actually takes more room and weighs more than just tenting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kitecop View Post
    With the underquilt, rain fly, hammock and all the cordage to string everything up it seems like going the hammock rout actually takes more room and weighs more than just tenting.
    It depends on the gear.

Images

That depends on both your hammock setup and the tent setup you are comparing it to. My hammock/tarp/quilts weigh in at about just over 4 lbs 11 oz. My old tent was 5 lbs (and that did not include any sleeping bag or pad).

Just like tents/pad/sleeping bags, hammocks come in heavier and lighter setups. FWIW, getting a hammock/tarp/quilts to an extremely light weight may well cost more than a similar weight of tent/pad/bag.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

I have a grand trunk SBpro and an ENO dry fly. I think i need to find a different fly cause the hammock is longer than the fly. I just got a Marmot Sawtooth 15 bag and i have a prolite thermarest. getting an underquilt would def. mean my hammock set up is way bulkier than my Eureka Solitair and i doubt it would be nearly as warm.

I've got a pretty comprehensive list of hammock gear manufacturers on my website. There are a lot of cottage dealers who make under quilts, JRB and HammockGear.com among the top rated.

> http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-manufacturers/
    --
    Author of _The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping_
    Available from select cottage manufacturers, Barnes and Nobel, and Amazon.com

I think if you really push the limits of modern materials and insulation, you can get both a hanging and a ground-dwelling system to be very very light. The ground system might have a slight edge on weight (like a half pound, total) for a complete system (shelter, sleeping insulation) but the hammock may have the edge on comfort, depending on preferences. Hammocks can now be much lighter than even a few years ago. For example, an 8 oz hammock, 6.5 oz tarp with doors, and under and top quilts at a pound each bring a 20 degree hammock system in at under 3 pounds, not including a few more ounces for suspension and ti pegs. I might save a few ounces for a ground system, but that's all.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I think if you really push the limits of modern materials and insulation, you can get both a hanging and a ground-dwelling system to be very very light. The ground system might have a slight edge on weight (like a half pound, total) for a complete system (shelter, sleeping insulation) but the hammock may have the edge on comfort, depending on preferences. Hammocks can now be much lighter than even a few years ago. For example, an 8 oz hammock, 6.5 oz tarp with doors, and under and top quilts at a pound each bring a 20 degree hammock system in at under 3 pounds, not including a few more ounces for suspension and ti pegs. I might save a few ounces for a ground system, but that's all.
    I agree with QiWiz, it takes some time and research, but with the modern technology and materials available today it is possible to have a lightweight,warm hammock set up. Mine is about 4 lbs. including an under quilt and tarp with doors.

Images

the underquilt is the way to go.
    i made a 12' 1.9 coated nylon (dog nails!) hammock (29 w/quilt and hammock suspensions) this is enough room for my 75#lab and me. 3/4 Tewa UQ zero degree 22 oz. High Sierra Sniveller TQ 30 oz. and Z-pack tarp w/stakes 9 oz.
    not the lightest system i got, but with my dog still only 5.5 lb for down to zero (been to -10 with it)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

One of the great things about hammocks are their modular nature. You can mix and match components (suspension / tarp / netting, etc) to fit your needs (comfort / weight / temperature, etc) and upgrade as you gain experience and funds. Whereas a tent is typically an all-or-nothing purchase. My tarp is huge, and heavier than necessary for summer (but great for winter). When I get more funds I will get a smaller, lighter tarp (Cuben, if I can afford it). I will eventually swap my webbing suspension for lighter woopie slings. I'd like to get a lighter, non-netted hammock for bug free cold weather.

I haven't bought a 1-man tent yet because there are a lot of different styles / prices to chose from and I want to make sure I get the best one for me. I haven't needed it yet, as I usually share a 2-man with my hiking buddy, so I'm not in a rush and I can research some more.

But, to your original question October can get pretty cold...or not. It really depends on the year. It'd be safer to cover a wider range of temps. For that a down UQ is ideal. You can snug it up for really cold nights or leave a little air gap for warmer ones.

Images

I'm not too worried about cougars on the AT
    I don't think too many cougars will out on the trail looking, usally find them at the bars looking for younger guys.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Under, over, and through quilt (it's called a sleeping bag ).

[/URL]
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

My dog is cougar bait for both Sapien and Felis Catus.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaATMom View Post
    My son (Snakesession aka Loner, currently doing his 2012 AT thru-hike) camped in Georgia last year mid October and the temps went down to 20 degrees at night some nights and that's further south than where you will hike.
    Carolina - I love your son's videos!

Has anyone tried using a space blanket like this one as a summer under layer for their hammock?
    http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket

I was thinking of trying it and was wondering if anyone else had experience with it or something similar. I'm looking for something quick, cheap and multipurpose for nights dipping down to 50-55F.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by treyd View Post
    Has anyone tried using a space blanket like this one as a summer under layer for their hammock?
    http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket

I was thinking of trying it and was wondering if anyone else had experience with it or something similar. I'm looking for something quick, cheap and multipurpose for nights dipping down to 50-55F.
    The main problem I see with this is that it is not "darted" to fit to the hammock. It will allow air gaps, and that will cool you off quickly. I recall some at the hammock fourms discussed this product just a few months ago.

Twice, before I had a proper under quilt, I used a regular mylar space blanket sandwiched between layers. It worked, ok, but again the bottom layer I was using was a darted underquilt made from an old summer sleeping bag. I would not view this as a practical solution, but you can try it. Your experience may be different than mine.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++