WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I think that something else that should be considered is that for many of us, we will probably only be able to do this once. I think, especially for the younger hikers, that the occasional hostel and weekly pizza (if not the beer) might make a lot of difference in " the journey. " Can you probably hike for $1 per mile without relying on the generosity of others? Possibly. Can you really make the most of the AT on that amount? Not in my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    You gain knowledge. After completing a thru-hike of the AT you have a good idea what little it takes to make you happy. Invaluable. You know, whatever the case, you could always survive no matter what the situation. You come back from a thru-hike with an immense confidence that there aren't any obstacles that can't be overcome. You learn first hand about incrementalism (how very small actions, done continuously over a long period of time, can add up to great achievements). You learn to value experiences. You gain lifelong friends. You learn to like being with yourself.

I don't know how you calculate that into the economics of an AT thru-hike but it's certainly value you can't go down to the local Best Buy and pick up on a whim when you're bored.

Datto
    ...thank you
    the dude abides

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My hike cost 4,000 not including gear.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You are correct. The OP titled his post the "REAL" cost,... then said NOTHING about the "opportunity lost" cost, but only mentioned out-of-pocket cost. Which is very deceiving (I don't mean the OP, just calling it one thing, but it really being another thing altogether). He's not talking about the "REAL" cost at all, so should not call it that.

Can you tell I took economics in college?

Rain Man

Rain Man aren't you a lawyer also?

A hiker just mentioned that he would be budgeting $2200 for his 2013 AT thru. I think we really need to get the word out that a fair amount to budget is $5000....

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    A hiker just mentioned that he would be budgeting $2200 for his 2013 AT thru. I think we really need to get the word out that a fair amount to budget is $5000....
    Did you just volunteer to write an article?

[snerk]
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

LOL I'll leave the writing to you, LDog. Really enjoy your blog.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

LOL I'll leave the writing to you, LDog. Really enjoy your blog.
    Flattery, however nice, will get you nowhere! The article is all yours!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

When i fliped-floped in 96 i spent 2500 that's gear, town visits the entire thing but when i thru-hiked in 2006 i spent about 4500 on every thing this year i have spent close to 5000 and i just know made a pit stop in palmerton PA roughly half way i am looking at about 7-8000 for this years thru. whom ever said they got a budget of 2200 for a 2013 thru has got a rude awakening coming to them he probably want even make it to damascus VA on that amount good luck and happy hiking to all. RED-DOG

Trying to be frugal and focus on nature rather than towns doesn't automatically make you a moocher.
    That said, best way to train for a frugal hike is by being frugal at home, which will also save money for your hike.

I budgeted for $5,000 but I got coupon in the mail for 1/2 off so I'm good....Ha-Ha j/k what ever happened to Hike your own Hike?

Quote Originally Posted by GritsNgreens View Post
    I budgeted for $5,000 but I got coupon in the mail for 1/2 off so I'm good....Ha-Ha j/k what ever happened to Hike your own Hike?
    Whatever happened to "BE PREPARED?" If a young hiker was planning on using equipment that wouldn't last the whole trip, we would be just as diligent about informing them of this.

I agree however, if someone came to this thread searching an answer it seems to me they'd be more confused than when they started, it has ranged from $1000- $7500. All I'm saying is each individual should know what comfort zone they'd be in, and how much "roughing it" they want to do then plan accordingly to what they want to achieve. Besides it's always better to budget too much $$ than not enough

a thru hike is so much more than "just walking." It's supposed to be a fun and memorable adventure. The idea that one can hike at a dollar per mile is crazy. It's as nuts as saying you can hike 2000 miles and not stop at a single restaurant. you will go to town and you will go to restaurants. I would budget 5,000 dollars for the hike. That's not even being extravagant.

If one really wants to come up with the REAL COST of an AT thru hike, you'd need to add in cost of gear, transportation from home to trail head, cost of quitting your job (no one gives 5-6 months vacation).

Maybe all this trail magic isn't such a good thing. It gives folks a false sense of security.

davidNH

Quote Originally Posted by GritsNgreens View Post
    I agree however, if someone came to this thread searching an answer it seems to me they'd be more confused than when they started, it has ranged from $1000- $7500. All I'm saying is each individual should know what comfort zone they'd be in, and how much "roughing it" they want to do then plan accordingly to what they want to achieve. Besides it's always better to budget too much $$ than not enough
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, Grits, but folks can write pretty much what they want to on this site and it doesn't make it so. Anyone who posts that you can realistically do the hike on $1000-$2200 is living in LaLa Land. It's like saying that you can start hiking in Feb without a cold weather sleeping bag.

I think with budgeting - you just have to look at it like SPECS and simply DO THE MATH. Figure at least $30 for each hostel night with laundry and a trip to the buffet and a beer or ice cream or two. Then plan on having to stay in a hostel at least 3-4 times a month due to weather and to simply recharge your body with the extra calories. Estimate the weeks you will be on the trail and add 2 more weeks to that. Then divide days into what is left to give you your per diem allowance for all food, laundry, showers, fuel, gear replacement, and emergencies.

$630 = Hostels, restaurants. (7 x every 2 months)
    180 = Estmated days on trail
    $5000 = $25 per day for all food, laundry, showers, fuel, gear, and emergencies.
    $4000 = close to $19 per day.
    $3000 = barely $13 per day.
    $2200 = about $8.75 per day for all food, laundry, showers, fuel, gear, and emergencies.
    $1000 = $2 per day

I'm not trying to discourage young hikers; I'm trying to help them realize their dream by preparing them to be successful. Yes, there are different hikes and different levels of comfort - but you have to be realistic too. And this doesn't include what it will cost you to get to GA/Maine and your return trip as well....

$2200 = about $8.75 per day for all food, laundry, showers, fuel, gear, and emergencies.
    My daily food budget at home comes close to that, but I like decent quality food. Eat out one meal and my daily food budget exceeds that. That's with a daily calorie allotment of 2000-2500. The trail would be more.

Default newbie hiker

So what I'm hearing is that even with food drops,if you don't go into town and get back on"grid",one can't enjoy the last true nature event.I thought going camping and hike in woods was to getaway from town!am going to get away not go to other towns.I'm going to stay on trail.except to pick up food drops.why can't I make it south to north almost free?

Quote Originally Posted by camperjames64 View Post
    So what I'm hearing is that even with food drops,if you don't go into town and get back on"grid",one can't enjoy the last true nature event.I thought going camping and hike in woods was to getaway from town!am going to get away not go to other towns.I'm going to stay on trail.except to pick up food drops.why can't I make it south to north almost free?
    Sure, sure. Report back when you're done with your thru hike and tell us how that worked out for ya.
    IS it impossible? no. But we live in a world of cushy comforts, soft beds, air conditioning, 24hr cable TV and internet, cold sweet tasting drinks, fat laden fast foods, clean clothes, and hot showers. We've conditioned our bodies to seek these things from birth. Giving them all of it up (much less just one of them) for extended periods is not in most people's nature or self interest (not alot of benefit for the self discpline). Almost noone spends the entire 2200 miles out in the woods, its just a fact. You'll not be able to carry enough calories in ramen noodles, honey buns, peanut butter or jerky and you'll get massive cravings for a pizza and a coke, but you smell like week old road kill, so you check into a hotel/hostel for shower and laundry, and screw it you just spend the night because you hiked 15 miles then took a hour to hitch a ride into town.. and its about to rain, and you need to call your mom/wife/girlfriend...etc. It doesn't mean you're weak, its just that you're human and stuff happens.

Default newbie

Isn't that what going off "grid" is all about?getting away from aforementioned comforts?this sounds like modern day amusement park verse getting to know ones self.that's what my 47 years have given.this?will do it cheeap.I guess my 60s hippie mentality didn't get trampled in the mix.it will be about getting back to nature and understanding "wants and needs".isn't that the founding spirit of trail.off the grid.

Did not mean that to sound like an attack on anybody.just trying to have solid dialogue.have gear.I phone.food drops.should be able to survive with anewed mental vigor.again apologies to any offended parties.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++