WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacker newbie

Hi,
    I am fairly new to backpacking and have only gone 2X. One time was Chesters Gap to Harpers Ferry WV. It was amazing. I am planning a hike for about two weeks or more in June. I would like some suggestions or recomendations for a part of the AT that would be best suited for the begining of June, and for aproximatley 150/200 miles. I am from PA.
    Thanks much

Images

Drive to Harper's Ferry, get on the trail, and hike South. ~130 miles gets you to Rockfish Gap (I-64), ~200 miles gets you to US60 (I think, no databook handy here at work.) Great section through Shenandoah NP and beyond.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd drive to Damascus, catch a shuttle up to Pearisburg, and hike back to your car.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

A lot depends on logistics. If someone can drop you off, maybe drive south and walk north, and when you run outta time, call for a pickup. You'll be relatively close to home when you need the pickup.

If you're driving and need to park somewhere, that opens up another set of challenges Where to park? Who can shuttle? Hike to your car? Hike away from your car?

Folks here can help with those details.

Thank you for all the responses. I am getting very confused w the planning, but it's all good. I am debating on getting a drop off in Harpers Ferry and walk to MD. does that make sense. I want to have a great experience as well, so I plan to stay out of PA as its known to be so rocky. decisions, decisions....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailchick View Post
    Thank you for all the responses. I am getting very confused w the planning, but it's all good. I am debating on getting a drop off in Harpers Ferry and walk to MD. does that make sense. I want to have a great experience as well, so I plan to stay out of PA as its known to be so rocky. decisions, decisions....

i dont even think the smell the roses crowd around here can get dropped off in harpers ferry and hike north for 2 weeks without going a long way into PA. youre going to have skip PA, hike PA or head south from chesters gap.

This is what I posted on the other thread where you asked this question:

Welcome to WhiteBlaze! Hope you find lots of good info here.

With this year's early and abnormally warm Spring, I suspect the mountain laurel in PA will have already bloomed by June.

Were I hiking in June, I'd aim for higher elevations because it looks like a hot summer. June is still too early for NH or ME and you may not want to travel that far. Since Chester Gap is one of your end points, how about hiking south from there through Shenandah NP and beyond? It's 185 miles to the James River and 240 miles to Daleville, the point where the AT crosses I-81. Logistically if you can get a ride to Chester Gap, you can catch a bus or fly from Roanoke if you make it to Daleville.

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this thread to the General forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

just did this walk (washington monument to harpers ferry in 2 days) yesterday & today. Fairly easy except for the steep climb out of HF. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Drive to Harper's Ferry, get on the trail, and hike South. ~130 miles gets you to Rockfish Gap (I-64), ~200 miles gets you to US60 (I think, no databook handy here at work.) Great section through Shenandoah NP and beyond.
    She already went south from HF (Chester Gap is the by Front Royal).

I'd head north. Its 160 miles to Swatara Gap (near Harrisburg), beyond lies most of the infamous rocks.

Take a look at this 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine on hiking the AT. It gives a great summary of each of the major sections and tips on thru-hiking you may find useful.

Cheers!

Images

Backpacker Mag is good for nothing but fire starter.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Backpacker Mag is good for nothing but fire starter.
    For a newbie asking about information on hiking the trail, the article I mentioned is relevant. I find it's better that the OP make the decision whether or not something is useful or not.

That's what being a member in a "Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts" is all about.

The author of the article, Michael Lanza, is pretty well informed and an accomplished hiker. Perhaps you'd like to peruse some of his other articles? See here:

http://michaellanza.com/Articles.html

BTW, who carries copies of BP Magazine while thru hiking? Cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly work better as a fire starter and are so easy to make. I thought everyone knew that!

Cheers......
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-02-2012 at 17:08.

Thank you. Everyone is very helpful on this sight. I am still in the planning. Id like to get a drop off somewhere in VA, and walk back towards home. ( PA ) that means I would hike some of Virginia, WV, and MD is what I am thinking. My ride lives in Chester county. Or just go out to Marione and hike to Ronoake. So confussing . I need to have this completed by the weekend. atlesat on paper. Iam open to any suggestions. Looking at about 200 miles ( two weeks ) I wanted a month, but it's not logical for me right now. so many choices.....
    thanks
    TC

Images

If you are new to backpacking you are not going to make 200 miles in two weeks. Plan on 10 mile days.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

ERNMAN

Look into being in Duncannon at the beginning of June.... Plan the hike around that. This way you can meet alot of hikers in the area.

++ New Posts ++