WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cook in bag question

I'm doing a trip next week and having quite a few dehydrated meals.....I've used the cook in bags from packet gorumet before but I was wondering if theres a zip lock that i can use as a cook in bag that can handle boiling water for like knorrs side or instant mash taters.

thanks

I use Ziploc freezer bags, they work fine.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

+1 on quart size Ziplock FREEZER BAGS. Don't use regular bags and don't use a fork or spork!
    Repackage the food in the freezer bags before you leave.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

2+ Ziplock Freezer Bags

wookinpanub

Ziplock makes a steaming bag that works very nicely. They are a little more expensive than freezer bags and are more "crinkly" if that makes sense.

Images

You folks are saying.....boil the bag and all? The freezer bags hold up!?

Images

Spokes, I think I know this person!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    You folks are saying.....boil the bag and all? The freezer bags hold up!?
    I'm looking to put dehydrated food and boiling water INTO the bag to cook food...

These are good for this yes?

Quote Originally Posted by HangNhike View Post
    I'm looking to put dehydrated food and boiling water INTO the bag to cook food...

These are good for this yes?
    Yes. Put dehydrated food in bag. Add boiling (or close to it) water. Put in insulated cozy. Wait. Eat.

Use brand name freezer bags (not storage bags). Add your dried food to the bag and sqeeze out the air for storage in your food bag. When its time to eat, add hot water, wrap something around the bag to hold the heat in (or use a cozy) until it "cooks". Use a long handle spoon rather then a spork or fork to eat with. Google "Freezer Bag Cooking" for more info. I've been cooking this way since 2007 and on a PCT thru-hike with no problems. Most people don't fully boil their water when backpacking as it isn't necessary. When it starts to release a few bubbles from the bottom of your pot, its hot enough to prepare most food.

exaclty what everyone else said! ZIPLOC
    Darla

You can also boil the bags in water. Our scouts do this with eggs all the time. (Put 2 eggs, cheese, onion, ham, etc. in freezer bag; seal it; squeeze; place in boiling water until done)

The best bags are the Ziplock type that are pleated at the bottom because they have the ability to stand up by themselves.

An excellent cookbook is: Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple by Sarah Svien Kirkconnell. I especially liked her breakfast recipes. I ordered mine from Amazon last week - $14.95. A little expensive for about an estimated 150 recipes??, but still I am very glad I purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    T

An excellent cookbook is: Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple by Sarah Svien Kirkconnell. I ordered mine from Amazon last week - $14.95. .
    If you get even ONE really great recipe from this, it will be worth it! I will order one also. THANKS!!!

Images

I even use Ziploc freezer bags for my brand name dehydrated meals,,, like Mountain House, Hawk Vittles, etc. Just before trip, I'll dump the ingredients (like MH Chili Mac or HV Southwest Lasagna) into the Ziploc and roll it up while eliminating the air. This allows me to greatly reduce the size of the package.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    I use Ziploc freezer bags for my brand name dehydrated meals,, I'll dump the ingredients (like MH Chili Mac or HV Southwest Lasagna) into the Ziploc and roll it up while eliminating the air..
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    ...most people don't fully boil their water when backpacking as it isn't necessary. When it starts to release a few bubbles from the bottom of your pot, its hot enough to prepare most food.
    +1

fb
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    The best bags are the Ziplock type that are pleated at the bottom because they have the ability to stand up by themselves.

An excellent cookbook is: Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple by Sarah Svien Kirkconnell. I especially liked her breakfast recipes. I ordered mine from Amazon last week - $14.95. A little expensive for about an estimated 150 recipes??, but still I am very glad I purchased it.
    Sarbar used to post on here pretty frequently; still posts on BPL pretty often. She has a great website too, which I prefer to use over Amazon.

And don't put boiling water in freezer bags, they aren't made for it. Near boiling works just as well if you put it in a cozy, and is safer. Might take 1 minute longer.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

You can also boil the bags in water. Our scouts do this with eggs all the time. (Put 2 eggs, cheese, onion, ham, etc. in freezer bag; seal it; squeeze; place in boiling water until done)
    I wouldn't.

Ziploc once had the explanation at their website: the standard for the Ziploc freezer bags is add-hot-water.

By the time you lift the boiling water off your backpacking stove, have the bag in place, and pour, it will meet the add-hot-water standard.

The boil-in-a-bag standard is usually found in plastic bags made for the vacuum sealer machines for home use.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I wouldn't.

Ziploc once had the explanation at their website: the standard for the Ziploc freezer bags is add-hot-water.

By the time you lift the boiling water off your backpacking stove, have the bag in place, and pour, it will meet the add-hot-water standard.

The boil-in-a-bag standard is usually found in plastic bags made for the vacuum sealer machines for home use.
    You can boil them. If you use the GSI tea kettle, or a 1 liter pot, you have enough room to put the bag and water in and bring it to a boil. I usually double-bag Ziplocks just because I've a couple over the years that leaked in the cozy. Give the boiling thing a try at home. By the way, I've found that if I pour hot water in the outer bag it helps with some hard to rehydrate foods. E.g. cooked & dehydrated portabella mushrooms seem to take a lot of heat & time to rehydrate to something chewable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++