WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: What to pack?

Question What to pack?

Hey guys! I have a question about that nifty thing on your back. The backpack. I have read all the information on the AT trail website about what to bring, but I wanted asked from experienced hikers, what should you bring or rather what is a complete list of what to bring? I'm gonna be hiking this summer in July(ish) and only for two weeks. I'm going to attempt this and want to know what can make your life easier and what doesn't.

-Smash
    "It is better to be violent if there is violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Gandhi

Here's a good list of the basics.
    http://www.backpacker.com/november_0...s/12659?page=4

Journal Entries

If you have to ask what to bring, you should probably do some other shorter hikes first.

All you need are the basics:

food
    water
    shelter
    insulation
    first aid

how you accomplish that is very variable and up to you.

I have made a few day trips, but wasn't sure if anything would be similar.
    "It is better to be violent if there is violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Gandhi

Images

it just so happens that I have listed my pack contents for the Colorado Trail this summer - I will share them with you. I hike pretty fast but not ultra-light - my pack weighs about 28 pounds on average - a little heavier with full food and a little lighter walking into town with only half a cliff bar and low on water. For summer hiking on the AT, you wouldn't need the down jacket, the extra platy, the compass, or too much sunscreen - hike your own hike:

Colorado Trail Pack

Osprey Atmos 50 (liter) backpack:

Top of pack / Brain:
    pack cover
    Aqua Mira for Water Purification in ziplock
    I-phone, charger cord, data book, compass, journal, pencil
    Little bag including: spare lighter, small pocketknife, headlamp, batteries, spoon, lip balm, soap, spare spoon
    First aid zip-lock - 2-3 bandaids, coach's tape, blister pads, gloves, ibuprofen, needle, thread, roll gauze
    Sunglasses, Sunscreen
    stocking cap

Top of main pack
    Food Bag + toothbrush cut in 1/2, paste, hanging cord
    1 small platypus bag - kept empty unless water is scarce

Mid Pack
    Clothes waterproof stuff sack as follows:
    1 -boxers for sleeping
    1-long underwear bottoms
    1-spare smart-wool socks
    1-spare silky t-shirt long sleeve (orange one)
    1-down jacket in separate stuff sack
    1-light wool icebreaker sweater - stuffed mid pack

MSR Hubba Carbon Reflex Tent
    Tyvek house wrap ground sheet cut to fit tent
    MSR Pocket Rocket / medium Propane Fuel Canister
    windscreen - custom made with W.L. screen
    1 @ 1- liter MSR titanium cockpit, strainer lid (doubles as coffee cup)
    lighter, pack towel, canister stand, spork

Low Pack:
    therm a rest in bag
    20 degree down sleeping bag, Mont-bell liner, sack

Pack Pockets:
    2 Gatoraid bottles for water
    rain jacket - arc-teryx packlight, marmot rain pants
    digital camera (hip belt)
    crocs
    z-poles
    sun-visor

oh yeah - - I'm known at times to have a half pint of liquor on me too!
    Last edited by Papa D; 05-01-2012 at 19:35.

Images

Take it easy on that half-pint.....I may slow down to let you catch up this summer so I can grab a swig (or three). Kidding aside, I will be about a week ahead of you....hope you have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    I love it! Yeehaw!

That's a cold weather pack list so tweak it for summer. Gloves and fleece beanie are givens. Add trash compactor bag for a liner and you're good to go.

I recently read Andrew Skurka's book "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide". He certainly qualifies as experienced, although his hiking style is a bit more extreme than most. But the book goes through the process of how to decide what to take and what not to take. At the end of the book there are several sample packing lists for hypothetical trips. These are complete lists with everything he would take. You of course would adjust to meet your needs and abilities. If you can get a hold of the book, I highly recommend it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I recently read Andrew Skurka's book "The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide". He certainly qualifies as experienced, although his hiking style is a bit more extreme than most. But the book goes through the process of how to decide what to take and what not to take. At the end of the book there are several sample packing lists for hypothetical trips. These are complete lists with everything he would take. You of course would adjust to meet your needs and abilities. If you can get a hold of the book, I highly recommend it.
    yep - ASkurka is the dude - there are a couple of changes I might make to my list - - I'm considering changing from a Hubba Carbon Reflex to a Six Moons Designs Solo Tent - Cuben Fiber - but I'm worried about it tearing - - - I also doubt I'll use the compass for real - I didn't really even need it on the Canol Heritage Trail which was the "real deal" - I'd love to talk to ASurka about the CHT - it's something else for sure. canoltrail.tripod.com
    HYOH

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Here's my list - this is also for colder weather, so tweak it for summer - but that will depend on where you plan to go (you'll need colder weather gear any time in the White Mountains of NH)
    ie 4o degree bag, no liner, just one fleece top, no insulating underwear etc. Add insect repellent, possible head net
    http://www.blissfulhiking.blogspot.c...-it-twice.html

(Also, if you could change the font on your posts- I can barely read it with my eyes).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Get a preview by waching this 68 minute video of Andrew Shurka's speech he gave in March 2012 at Google Talks titled "Ultimate Hiking Gear and Skills Clinic":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQTc...e_gdata_player

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I wrote this for beginner backpackers. Aimed for Colorado, but could apply to just about any three-season hiking environment in a mountainous area:

Includes a packing list, too.
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer
    Last edited by Mags; 05-02-2012 at 11:46.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    yep - ASkurka is the dude - there are a couple of changes I might make to my list - - I'm considering changing from a Hubba Carbon Reflex to a Six Moons Designs Solo Tent - Cuben Fiber - but I'm worried about it tearing - - - I also doubt I'll use the compass for real - I didn't really even need it on the Canol Heritage Trail which was the "real deal" - I'd love to talk to ASurka about the CHT - it's something else for sure. canoltrail.tripod.com
    HYOH
    I asked Andy about why he had no Cuben at his slideshow and he just kinda laughed. I think the weight savings is generally not worth the delicate nature. he uses a MLD Solomid with or without the inner netting depending on bug situation. 13oz +8.5oz is pretty damn sweet for a Sil shelter.

IMO if you are carrying hiking poles there is no reason you should not be using a shelter that uses them for support. it is a waste of a heavy-ish multiuse item.

my 14.5lb baseweight list For summer that will drop some since the puffy and hopefully sleeping bag will change to something lighter.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&pli=1#gid=0

Alright, I think I will go ahead and check out his book. I keep seeing a lot of cold weather packing lists, and since I'm not able to go then when it is colder, I wanted to know what to bring for warmer weather. I'm gonna be heading through the Virginia areas too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlizzardChord View Post
    Alright, I think I will go ahead and check out his book. I keep seeing a lot of cold weather packing lists, and since I'm not able to go then when it is colder, I wanted to know what to bring for warmer weather. I'm gonna be heading through the Virginia areas too.
    The list I linked to, says for cold weather, subtract puffy jacket, mid-weight underwear and sub a 40deg sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    The list I linked to, says for cold weather, subtract puffy jacket, mid-weight underwear and sub a 40deg sleeping bag.

mine too, plus warm things are personal and forecasts change all the time.

You'll need to bring one of those folding lawn chairs...not many comfortable places to sit in the woods.

yep - ASkurka is the dude - I'd love to talk to ASurka about the CHT - it's something else for sure. canoltrail.tripod.com
    HYOH
    Andrew answers his email...hit him up! www.andrewskurka.com
    It's not the camera. It's the photograph you see in your mind and your ability to both manipulate the camera and to develop the image to present your vision.

Journal Entries

HYOH
    Cuben doesnt tear. Its used to make sails on racing sailboats.
    It doesnt stretch and sag when wet
    And ifit does get damaged, YOU can repair it with cuben tape and material
    Field repairs can be made with duct tape.
    There is nothing not to like about cuben, except the price
    Pinholes are as easy as a spot of tape, or wipe a dab of sealant across

++ New Posts ++