WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trail running & hiking shoes

here's a general question for the AT hikers who use trail running shoes instead of hiking boots, what are your favorite brand/model in hiking shoes? (assume total pack weight less than 25 lbs) I also use Superfeet blue or green inserts, they give better foot support

some of the brands I'm considering:
    Vasque Velocity
    Merrell Moab
    Aisics Gel Nimbus

would like to hear other suggestions,

tia

The first thing to realize is that shoes are a VERY personal thing. What Joe wears might kill me and vice versa.

For me: New Balance 806

The 806 model has been replaced by New Balance but Cabelas has them run a special batch from time to time because of the popularity of the 806s. The 806 has quite a cult following.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I love the Moab Ventilators, but note that on my feet the GoreTex and non-GroeTex versions fit very differently.
    The waterproof ones really hurt and the originals are wonderful.
    I don't recommend "waterproof" shoes anyway, since they only work to keep your feet wetter longer.

i wear the Vasque Velocity and really like them, but i like the Velocity VST from last year the better. They did not make them for 2012 for some reason? Not the best trail runner, but could not ask for a better shoe for backpacking. REI still has some of the Velocity VST on sell in the outlet. The only thing with shoes and boots is everybody is different. What works for me maynot for you.

I've always liked ASICS and wear them for marathons and ultra runs. I wear ASICS GEL-Trabuco on shorter hikes and prefer boots when doing long distance stuff.

I must say I'm not a fan of the Vasque Velosity- absolutely tear up my feet. There should be a Federal law banning them. I'd suggest pouring gasoline on any pair you find and burning them.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-02-2012 at 14:58.

I bought some trail runners last year. One use convinced me that they were never tested in the White Mountains. I felt like the bottoms of my feet were pulverized. I'll save them for Virginia AT section, but I just replaced them for the Whites with some light weight hiking boots. Both are replacing my 25 year old Limmers, which I may yet wear through the Whites and Maine on my AT hike. They're awfully comfortable even with a lot of rocks. I'll see how the light weight boots perform this summer.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I've tried several different trail shoes, but I just bought the Inov8 Roclite 295 shoes. These are super light, only 20 oz. for the pair in size 11. I wore them through water (totally submerged) and they dried very quickly. My plan is to wear goretex socks with them on rainy days.

The Inov8 shoes are not Goretex. I believe hikers should not wear Goretex boots or shoes for long distance hiking as they tend to dry slowly.

The uppers on the 295's are a fine mesh, and mold to your feet quite well. Water drains out fast.

Speaking for myself, these are the best hiking shoes I've seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Default Golite

I went with Golite a few years ago and my feet never hurt. I did a 2 nighter last fall in a pair of Nike trailrunners and I was hobbling for a week. they are nice and light with great suspension.

I use LaSportiva Wildcats. Light weight, breathable and dry quickly. I have used them in the south, over the rocks in PA, the Whites, Maine and all points in between. I like them so much I have a few new pairs stock piled in case they are discontinued. Shoes are very personal though so you need to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I bought some trail runners last year. One use convinced me that they were never tested in the White Mountains. I felt like the bottoms of my feet were pulverized. I'll save them for Virginia AT section, but I just replaced them for the Whites with some light weight hiking boots. Both are replacing my 25 year old Limmers, which I may yet wear through the Whites and Maine on my AT hike. They're awfully comfortable even with a lot of rocks. I'll see how the light weight boots perform this summer.

Not all trail runners are equal. I have found that Montrails have sole plates and toe guards that are well suited to the rocky and rooty conditions in the northeast. On the other hand, I've worn New Balance runners (ie, not trail runners) that had no sole plate and I bashed the crap out of the bottom of my feet and smashed the sides of my little toes into rocks. After 10 miles, my feet were screaming.

I bought Montrail Massochists for this year, which seem slightly less robust than the Montrail AT Plus and the Hardrocks that I used during my two hikes on the Long Trail. We'll see how they last as the summer progresses.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    ....Vasque Velosity- absolutely tear up my feet. There should be a Federal law banning them. I'd suggest pouring gasoline on any pair you find and burning them.
    Uhh Stop wearing high heels and life will be good? this a huge dig at humor... your avatar is so awesome....Nothing personal Spokes, I suddenly had a moment of foot fetish... Can I hike behind her? I hope the rest lives up to... Nevermind.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

New balance trail shoes are great. I figure I got over 1k miles running in an old pair of MT100's. They were still useable when I tossed them, but the upper was starting to come apart from the sole.

I like whatever New Balance trail runners are on sale because they come in a wide variety of widths (I have wide feet) so the odds increase that you will find a pair that fit. I like the tackiest, softest sole I can get for traction -- though softer soles wear out quicker I always find with running shoes that seams blow out long before the tread wears away, even with the softest tread.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I like whatever New Balance trail runners are on sale because they come in a wide variety of widths (I have wide feet) so the odds increase that you will find a pair that fit. I like the tackiest, softest sole I can get for traction -- though softer soles wear out quicker I always find with running shoes that seams blow out long before the tread wears away, even with the softest tread.
    Do you replace he insole in your NB's and if so, how often? I loved mine when they were new, but on day 2 of a planned 6 day hike, I realized that my insoles were completely flat. OUCH! Probably my fault for not checking this before leaving though.

I tried New Balance Trail runners and found that, for me, the soles weren't thick enough to protect the bottom of my feet from a rocky trail surface. For my AT hike I decided to wear Merrell Moabs (non-Gore Tex) and absolutely loved them....I went thru 3 pair on my hike. They also come in "wide" sizes which is something I need. I tossed the insoles that came with the Moabs and replaced them with Dr. Scholls Gel Sport insoles that I was also very happy with. The insoles cost about $15/pair and are available at just about any drug store along the way...I replace those about every 400 miles or so.

After trying Salomon, vasque, treksta, keen, golite and new balance,I have found the best for me to be the brooks cascadia - super comfortable and cushy with no blisters!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The first thing to realize is that shoes are a VERY personal thing. What Joe wears might kill me and vice versa.

For me: New Balance 806

The 806 model has been replaced by New Balance but Cabelas has them run a special batch from time to time because of the popularity of the 806s. The 806 has quite a cult following.
    Do the NB 806 come in Wide (4Eor6E)?

Quote Originally Posted by Skid. View Post
    Do the NB 806 come in Wide (4Eor6E)?
    EEEE, yes. I have never heard of 6E. That foot has trail name written all over it: Sixy
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Garlic
    Images

New Balance 8XX series for me, too, in EEEE. Some hikers think NB shoes are about as comfortable as the box they come in, though. These are pretty light shoes, about 11 oz a pair in my size, and as a result there's not much body to them. They hold together about 700 to 800 miles, but they do go "flat" in about 300 to 400. You can replace the stock insoles with Spenco inserts at that point if that bothers you. I use blue Superfeet normally, and carry Spencos if substantial road walking is expected (not on the AT). The Superfeet last about 2500 miles per pair, so be sure to not discard them with used up shoes. I haven't used the Spenco very much, so I don't know how long they last compared to the shoes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Do you replace he insole in your NB's and if so, how often? I loved mine when they were new, but on day 2 of a planned 6 day hike, I realized that my insoles were completely flat. OUCH! Probably my fault for not checking this before leaving though.
    I never replaced them. After a few hundred miles they become very thin, but perfectly formed to your foot. I prefer a flat shoe with minimal support/and cushioning so they worked out well for me.

Side note: the MT101 was the perfect balance of weight and cushioning for me. I have since tried more minimal/barefoot type shoes but nothing as worked as well for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++