WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Umm..check out Leor's results:

http://ultrasignup.com/results_parti...Pantilat&age=0

Lots of first places in ultras. don't know if these are good/competitive ultras, but the guy looks legit. 50 mile trail run at a 7:14 min pace. He's running 50 miles faster than JPD was running 50k. If he's got a decent support crew he'll probably do the trail supported very quickly.
    A 7:14 pace would be a 3:10 min marathon, which is damned fast. That pace over 50 miles on a trail is incredibly fast.

A certain "unsupported record" that is out there, also included donations from outsiders, yet in there eyes this is also not support. Preplanning a resupply or even taking a cube of butter from a friend is also considered non support, the whole thing stinks. As ive said before, unless grandfathered in to the big three, the records cannot have a governing board! What about blood doping? Steroids? Its all an honor system ideal anyway, a way to sell books,etc..... It also seperates you from others, to stand out and say, "Im better than you" This thinking disturbs me. For those who seek personal gradification I really respect it, but why would you feel the need to justify it to the world(gps tracking,etc...). Just knowing it in your heart should fufill that desire, but we must stand on top of mountains and shout to the world, " Im the best!" Maybe im wrong, please enlighten my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    A certain "unsupported record" that is out there, also included donations from outsiders, yet in there eyes this is also not support. Preplanning a resupply or even taking a cube of butter from a friend is also considered non support, the whole thing stinks. As ive said before, unless grandfathered in to the big three, the records cannot have a governing board! What about blood doping? Steroids? Its all an honor system ideal anyway, a way to sell books,etc..... It also seperates you from others, to stand out and say, "Im better than you" This thinking disturbs me. For those who seek personal gradification I really respect it, but why would you feel the need to justify it to the world(gps tracking,etc...). Just knowing it in your heart should fufill that desire, but we must stand on top of mountains and shout to the world, " Im the best!" Maybe im wrong, please enlighten my mind.
    +1 Mikey ,leave it to us humans to say "Hey we have these places we call wild,lets preseve them,use them,catagorize them,and kill them.We are all gulity to an extent.

If such an attempt bothers one, the solution is real simple...........ignore it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Did I say it bothered me? Heck, id love to make a run at records and I assure I could. Its the whole unsupported, supported notion with no rules, judges, testing or anything that just makes me sick, that others should follow false rules that dont even excist, to appease who? Point A to point B should be enough right? Oh wait, jump through this hoop first. Just examine the word support, now do the fricken math in your head, support is everywhere, its in the stream we drink from. Oh well, maybe im wrong and should start attempting records, then I can sell books and put myself above others, anyone want to support me? Only if you kiss my feet and stand in awe when im done, because ill be better than you, thus happier and full of knowledge, A legend! Dramatic and anti climatic, thats the future of speed records and attempts. Peace.

Did I say it bothered me?
    Its the whole unsupported, supported notion with no rules, judges, testing or anything that just makes me sick....
    Just to be clear. It doesn't bother you but it makes you sick?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Just to be clear. It doesn't bother you but it makes you sick?
    I'm not hot 97.5 i run low,and I'm not sick, but if I was to go take a hike day,and was told "You can't hike here today because"- some organization was having a race today,I'd not only be sick,I'd be ticketed for failure to observe,but then following direction has always be a bit of a down fall for me.Honestly Chin,I don't really care that people race for these records,but I sure don't want to see it get so "big bueiness"as some have suggested over time.When corporate sponsership gets involved,$$$and there is money to be made,then it wont be long until the TV stations start fling in with camera crews,then vendors start selling goods,all them little cylume flashy things the kids wear around there wrist.I'll stop here causejust don't want to see it get to that level, rant over I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm not hot 97.5 i run low,and I'm not sick, but if I was to go take a hike day,and was told "You can't hike here today because"- some organization was having a race today,I'd not only be sick,I'd be ticketed for failure to observe,but then following direction has always be a bit of a down fall for me.Honestly Chin,I don't really care that people race for these records,but I sure don't want to see it get so "big bueiness"as some have suggested over time.When corporate sponsership gets involved,$$$and there is money to be made,then it wont be long until the TV stations start fling in with camera crews,then vendors start selling goods,all them little cylume flashy things the kids wear around there wrist.I'll stop here causejust don't want to see it get to that level, rant over I'm done.
    Kinda like being told that you can't run here today because it interferes with the big business of hiking -- REI, Campmor, innumerable shoe and clothing manufacturers, hostels at every road crossing, shuttles, and hiker feeds -- and dozens of movies, documentaries, YouTube clips, and books about hiking through the "wilderness" on the AT.

I think the AT is big enough to allow trail runners to speed by. They won't bother you -- by the time you hear them coming, they'll already be past and out of sight.

I sure don't want to see it get so "big bueiness"as some have suggested over time.When corporate sponsership gets involved,$$$.
    I'm not enamoured with the sponsorship thing either. I guess in the case of a NASCAR attempt (supported) it just goes with the territory. Too often it reminds me of the Truman Show where product placement is king.

You're not.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'm not enamoured with the sponsorship thing either. I guess in the case of a NASCAR attempt (supported) it just goes with the territory. Too often it reminds me of the Truman Show where product placement is king.
    I have not only never seen the Truman show,I did not knot what it was till I look it up.Hey I am guilty all over the place in being enamoured with the trail.I probably own 18 no 19 Books that deal directly with the AT and or Travel narratives and maybe another 20 or so that are all about the things we find in the woods or on mountains.Even recently bought JPD's book on Nook Books Cause I really wanted to read it,and now I find myself wanting to read her husband Drew's book to get his take on the whole supported thing albeit bias.There is a common thread with all who finish the trail,a drive,maybe even a genetic marker will be found one day.We all b___h about wanting to have a more serene time in the woods,and sometimes it just seems like a lost cause,even though we all no computer hiking is a far cry from actually being out there where in fact the woods are large plenty of room for all.But some times at populated areas it just gets so ridicules.I just looked up the word serene(to make sure I spelled it right)and it says;Clear and free of storms and unpleasant change,I think that word fits here rather nicely here,though I do love a good storm.

O.K. Chinmusic, maybe it does bother me, but not the attempt like you said, just the "rules" and the difference of support and non supported. Were all supported by mother earth and I refuse to ignore her problems as well. We better change the book of all records to include support and not, Barry Bonds supported(the juice) homerun king!

I understand this argument that we are all supported. Perhaps the words "supported," "self-supported" and "unsupported" are not the best terms to use. Here are some definitions (as written by Peter Bakwin and recognized by many on the proboards community:
    http://pbakwin.home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/FKT.html ):

"Supported, self-supported, unsupported? What does it mean?
    · Supported means you have a dedicated support team that meets you along the way to supply whatever you need. This generally allows for the fastest, lightest trips, and for an element of camaraderie and safety, since someone knows about where you are at all times.
    · Self-supported means that you don't carry everything you need from the start, but you don't have dedicated, pre-arranged people helping you. This is commonly done a couple different ways: You might put out stashes of supplies for yourself prior to the trip, or you might just use what's out there, such as stores, begging from other trail users, etc.
    · Unsupported means you have no external support of any kind. Typically, this means that you must carry all your supplies right from the start, except any water that can be obtained along the way from natural sources. This approach has also been termed "alpine style". The longest trip I'm aware of using this style is Coup's 20-day thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. For most people, carrying enough food for more than a few days to one week will be prohibitive."

The terms themselves seem to be the cause of controversy on Whiteblaze whereas the differences between definitions remain (at least to me) quite clear.

Many people on Whiteblaze use the term "unsupported" to describe what is actually a "self-supported" attempt. To help clarify the difference, Andrew Skurka once proposed an unsupported record attempt on the AT, but to my knowledge no one has seemed to have yet followed through with it: http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/h...enge/overview/

I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows how far a hiker has traveled on the AT unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Good luck on your hike! Do you know when you are heading out and if you will be posting a journal or updates online for us to follow?
    I will be starting between may 27th and June 1st at the latest.. I will be keeping a journal at:
    http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13163
    Keep in mind, I am not going out there to set the record.. I'm going out there to have fun, and enjoy my self.. and if I find that I can keep the pace to break the record then so be it! My hike will be under 75 days max

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    Prediction

This guy will never break any record. He spends too much time on the computer talking about it.
    Take a lesson from last years female unsupported record holder-just start hiking and when you get to maine then post again.
    Who? Me? or the Sportiva guy?
    "Teufel Hunden"

And for everyone arguing about Supported or Unsupported.. I will be having food sent to towns, but i will most likely not be arranging rides. I'm gonna' walk or hitch into town.. call it supported or unsupported.. idc, I won't be blue or yellow blazing.. They say hike your own hike, and this is mine.
    "Teufel Hunden"

Journal Entries

What's the Point?

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    I will be starting between may 27th and June 1st at the latest.. I will be keeping a journal at:
    http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13163
    Keep in mind, I am not going out there to set the record.. I'm going out there to have fun, and enjoy my self.. and if I find that I can keep the pace to break the record then so be it! My hike will be under 75 days max

Who? Me? or the Sportiva guy?
    Go for it Tenn_hiker
    ,hope ya make it,and I'll be checking your progress via your journal.Peace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    What's the Point?
    Some folks don't know how to let the chocolate melt in their mouth.
    Biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    What's the Point?
    of....? Hiking fast?
    What's the point of hiking slow? You enjoy that, I enjoy hiking fast.. You guys on WB preach about HYOH.. so why ask a stupid question like that?
    "Teufel Hunden"

Go for it Tenn_hiker
    ,hope ya make it,and I'll be checking your progress via your journal.Peace
    Thanks man!
    "Teufel Hunden"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++