WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Western States 100 Record

Congrats Timothy Olsen of Ashland, Oregon! 100 brutal miles on this extreme route in 14hrs46min44sec. Beat the record by over 20 min, and hes American! Whooo-Hoooo!

Images

A guy that I know from our YMCA completed the WS100 in 2010 but it took him nearly twice as long! He completes a 100 mile event in a day, but yet he always seems to want to hear my AT adventures...

My bad, Its Timothy Olson, didnt want to mess that up...To think of the great runners that have done this event, its mind bending to see how easy he made it look, and looked like he was ready for more! Sidenote, Ryan Sanders beat the old time as well at second place with 15hr4min.

Run, hike, bike, chill.

Ellie Greenwood also destroyed the woman's record this year too! Great to see both records fall in the same calendar year and it'll be interesting to see if Geoff Roes (former holder) will come out soon and have a crack at the record. It's really neat to see ultra marathoning becoming so popular and also competitive even though the distances are so vast.

This company says you too can run the Western States 100, only in daylight and they take care of everything. They're offering multi-day runs on the AT, Wonderland Trail, Tahoe Rim and others.

http://www.adventurerunningco.com/toursraces.html

Images

It seemed that the trail conditions might have been ideal this year. Any speculation how big of factor that may have been.

Id say conditions were ideal, and cool weather was a plus. Alot of non ideal years end up on alternate routes so...K Journet was not in the run as the defending winner, because of personal reasons. But I take nothing away from Mr. Olson, he was ready when his time came, and to beat it by sooo much is scary.

I heard from a number of runners that at least 50 dropouts were storm related, hail, wind, rain, and snow. I was riding around various summits and it was great, but I wasnt running 100 miles! So maybe these conditions were not so optimal for everyone...

++ New Posts ++