WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Emergency kits

Default Emergency kits

Is there really a standard of list of emergency kits when you travel? If there is, what is it? And where can I buy a set?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Break out your credit card... http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=376284011

Welcome to WB on your first post Hamdam

Are you talking travel or hiking? In either case, the most important emergency kit is in between your ears (plus maybe a cell phone).

Otherwise, I would say there is no "standard". Here in WB-land you might get a hundred replies and a hundred different opinions. It's part of the fun!

Much of what people take for emergencies is not so much to help in the case of an emergency as it is to make the feel secure.

When hiking, other than having a zip-lock baggie with some basic first aid supplies, can't say I have much stuff specific for emergencies except the cell phone.

Images

bring a hat..also refer to the health and safety article on the home page

As Bighodag has pointed out this may be spam. Check out the Survival Gear Suggestions thread. Both OP profiles are nearly the same.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    As Bighodag has pointed out this may be spam. Check out the Survival Gear Suggestions thread. Both OP profiles are nearly the same.
    alright then, just bring a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Hi...

Well, that's a starting point...!!

Default Emergency Kits

Hi...

I would have to say that there is ABSOLUTELY NOT a one-size-fits-all emergency kit covering all circumstances.

Have someone in your area who is competent regarding outdoor (and home) emergencies give you some advice on making one up for your type of use.

You may also get some "good" advice from retailers, but they might be more interested in trying to sell you something.

This isn't a complete list but some very versatile items i have found and carry in my kit.
    Tweezers- get the kind women use to pluck their eyebrows, i find they are more durable and have a finer tip for removing splinters without as much skin
    Mole skin- a must, after extensively testing those blister band aids i find nothing works better than the old fashioned stuff.
    tampons- in varying sizes. they expand and can be used to quickly stop bleeding in a large wound as well as simple nose bleeds. Also its a good bit a kit to keep for emergency fire starting, just break it apart and voila lost of cotton balls.
    Curaid band aids- brands make a difference these suckers are tough and will take what the trail throws at them.

But as Odd man out stated earlier the best kit is between your ears. The best first aid equipment is useless if you don't know how to use it. so take a wilderness first aid course or something similar. this will provide you with the training necessary to administer the most efficient help.

I always hike with whiskey.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wilderness first aid is awesome. Excellent to have.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I carry a pretty extensive FAS pack in my car. Unless I'm leading a trip or guiding, etc., my rig fits easily
    in a quart ziplock as follows:

I think that the pre-packaged "First Aid Kits" sold in outdoor stores are a ruse -- they are full of packaging and junk - - make your own for 1/4 the price at any pharmacy
    You may have to get your Doc to get you a lancet or RX pain meds, or an Epi Pen if you are trained and want to add them.

Dr. Scholls blister bandaids - 2
    bandaids -2
    roller gauze -1
    coaches paper tape - 1/2 roll
    latex exam gloves (or non-latex if you are allergic)
    lancet (very sharp needle)
    alcohol prep pads - 2
    benadryl - 4
    asprin - 4
    ibuprophen - 6 or so
    Tums - 2-3
    dental floss
    small tweezers
    (pocket knife - carried separately)

FYI - - I am a WFR - - course would do most regulars good.

++ New Posts ++