WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bartram/Appalachian Trail Loop

Anyone ever done this 50 mile loop, i'm doing it in a few weeks, any advice would be very much appreciated.

It's been a while since I've done the Bartram portion from Wayah Bald to Cheoah Bald, but I do the AT from Wayah to Cheoah at least once a year. Is there anything specific that you would like to know about?
    ..guess I'll keep a livin' till the day I die...

www.trailjournals.com/chuck2008

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

done it. my advice - have fun!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Well I think I will start & finish as it were at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, this loop hike per a blog I read is a 58 mile crawl, leaving the hike up to Cheaoh Bald (5032ft) for the final day 5. Are there any maps i can purchase, I have a trip planner from that blog I read, but it would be cool to have a map as well. I guess i'm wondering if anyone has done this loop from the NOC, just seems more sensible place to start/finish with available overnight parking and lodging if I choose to rest before driving back to Macon, Ga.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

yep. start at NOC.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZen View Post
    Well I think I will start & finish as it were at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, this loop hike per a blog I read is a 58 mile crawl, leaving the hike up to Cheaoh Bald (5032ft) for the final day 5. Are there any maps i can purchase, I have a trip planner from that blog I read, but it would be cool to have a map as well. I guess i'm wondering if anyone has done this loop from the NOC, just seems more sensible place to start/finish with available overnight parking and lodging if I choose to rest before driving back to Macon, Ga.

NOC is a good place to start and finish. I like to hike out towards Cheoah Bald (North on AT). Maps are available of both the Bartram and the AT. It is helpful to have the Bartram maps as there are some tricky route finding spots in this area. The outfitters at the NOC may have the maps or you can get them through the NC Bartram Trail Society http://ncbartramtrail.org/online-store/ This is a great hike, enjoy!

Tricky route finding? Now I'm worried, I do have the map that has the entire route on it, from the online store per your advice Baxter, so you go counter clockwise, starting at Cheaoh first, i wonder if this way would be easier???

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The Bartram Trail is easy to follow if you have the map - I hiked the entire thing last year. There are a couple of sections that have short road walks that make the map very helpful.

As far as clockwise or which way to go.. I'd say that it wouldn't matter but I would do it clockwise if I were hiking it.

No worries, GeorgiaZen. As 10-K says it's an easy trail to follow, just got to pay attention on some of the short road walks. It's a personal preference which way to go, I don't know that one way or the other is easiest. I usually go clockwise, I guess I didn't make that too clear in my last post. Go and have a great time!

++ New Posts ++