WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stinky Down Bags on the Trail

I've got a new 16 degree Marmot down bag a few months ago for my SOBO thru-hike that I'm starting in 2 months.

I've used it maybe 10-15 nights since I got it and it's starting to develop a faint stink. It's not really bad and I'm probably going to wash it it soon, before my thru at least, but I'm concerned about this being an issue on the trail. I've been considering getting a liner to try and avoid getting my stank on the bag itself, which leads me to concerns about getting hot with a liner and a warm down bag.

Are stinky bags commonplace on the trail? Should I even be concerned?

Images

Just get used to it. You, and all your gear, are going to stink.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Agreed, am a section hiker but have had quite the "aroma" after 2 weeks in the woods, I try to wash up most nights - merino wool to me is a better fabric smell wise.

Images

Get used to it. You won't notice it after a while on the trail. Liner or sleeping underwear will help. Consider some down wash and a few tennis ball in a bounce box on the trail for when you decide to wash it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by geckofish52 View Post
    ....I'm probably going to wash it it soon....
    Do it right or you'll be buying another bag.

I'd consider the bag a consumable item. It lasts one thru hike. After that it'll smell so much you'll probably want to throw it away. You could clean it, and that will restore the loft and get rid of the smell, but synthetics tend to stink up again very quickly.

Images

Yeah, wash it carefully and it should be fine. I've washed my WM bags several times over the years. I like to do it in a bath tub with down soap. It takes multiple rinses (meaning multiple filling and draining of the tub with enough water to rinse the bag.) Then I put the bag into a laundry basket to avoid tearing the baffles, drain it/squish it to remove as much water as possible, then put it in the dryer on no-heat (NO HEAT) for the whole day. Sometimes I have put it in the spin cycle of the washing machine to remove more water, but that can tear baffles too, so be careful.

The other method is to use a commercial washer (front loader) at the laundromat -- use the largest one there. Use down soap. Once it's done with the cycle, do another cycle but without soap, to triple rinse it. Then put it in the dryer on NO HEAT and sit there and watch it for several hours. Don't leave -- the attendant will see that the dryer is on no heat and helpfully put it on high heat for you (bad.)

You can do either of these things on a thru-hike if you take a zero day somewhere that has an outfitter (to buy down soap), a bath tub, and a dryer, or a laundromat with big machines.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't worry about that.

Stinky sleeping bag= Badge of honor.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-06-2012 at 22:28.

You might want to consider buying a silk liner, which you can wash as needed. I find that this makes the bag last longer. It also adds a bit of extra warmth.

Virginia Tortoise

OK, no one else has said it yet so I will. Buy a synthetic bag. They are cheaper, easier to clean and dry quicker.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree, you'll get used to it and yo won't even notice it. Now you do, cuz you are not on the trail. Things change once you get out there.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

++ New Posts ++