Hey guys Ill be on this forum a lot in the next couple month. I have been wanting to hike the AT alone pretty much all my life but could never find the time. I recently decided to quit my dead end job and go on a substantial hike on the AT I have the cash, the time, and the dream. The only thing holding me back is being a fat ass, I have never let that stop me and have climbed many mountains including katahdin, Washington(nh), St. Helen's and Mt. Hood. My back packing experience is extremely limited never been on more then a three day solo hike but loved almost every minute of it.
My plan is to start July first just south of Baxter state park and hike for a good month or two but I could go longer depending on how I am liking my trek.
I am just starting to get all my gear together I plan on purchasing a quality backpack and tent the rest of the gear I have from previous trips. I'm a hardcore techie and plan on bringing my smartphone, tiny sd based mp3 player, GPS (garmin 60csx), 200lumen multimode ipx8 flashlight that uses a singe AA, and kindle. The problem I see is with the weight and charging, I have a device that will charge USB items using AA battery's. I have a lot of these powerx 2700mh nimh AA's I am just wondering if anyone knows of any light weight solar cell I can use on my hike?