WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default transportation advice

Need to get to trail by greyhound.need all info for getting to start of trail.thank you

El Sordo
    Images

on the assumption that you are starting at the south end, take the bus to Gainesville, GA and arrange your shuttle to Springer/Amicalola from there.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    on the assumption that you are starting at the south end, take the bus to Gainesville, GA and arrange your shuttle to Springer/Amicalola from there.
    Amtrak also goes there.

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    Amtrak also goes there.
    Not from Pensacola.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Be prepared for rude service and long delays with no explanation or compensation. Spend a bit more for a refundable ticket. If there is different, practical transpottion, use it. If you go Greyhound and have major problems, go to the Better Business Bureau. Greyhound responds to them, eventually.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Is it hikable?under 20 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by camperjames64 View Post
    Is it hikable?under 20 miles?
    From Gainesville? No way.

If you peruse the link that I posted above (#5) to the ATC's transportation summary plus this WhiteBlaze article, you'll find everything you need know about transportation options.

I hate to get short with you, but.... do you even know where Springer Mountain is?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Not exactly that's why I'm asking stupid questions now not in june as I'm hiking.I'm probably go with the old camp winihaha and get dropped.at.trail by pov.seems easier to make a road trip with friends.I did plan to shuttle service but for the total money better to arrive with friends.a toast and I'm on my way.thanks for.all the info.everyone body.this app has proved itself as.best app ever!

Ok, the train doesn't run out of Pensacola anymore (since Katrina) and when it did your would have had to go to Jacksonville, then Washington DC and then back to Gainesville Georgia.

Greyhound is an adventure some can't deal with. To me it's just a matter of planning time for missed connections just in case. Something you have to do with AMTRACK too.

And all those cheap bus everyone loves don't go to Pensacola Florida or Gainesville Georgia.

You can get Greyhound for about $65 if you purchase in advance. Two transfers, Mobile Alabama and Atlanta Georgia. It's about a 12 hour ride and a chance at every transfer that something will screw up. Then you will have to arrange and pay a shuttle to Amicalola Falls State Park or Forrest Road 42 from there. Or get off in Atlanta and arrange shuttle from there.

You are about 400 miles to the start of the trail from Pensacola. (Florida is a long state, you already have about 300 miles advantage over me in South Florida.) If you can get friends or family to drive you and get you started you will enjoy it much more and on your own schedule. If that is an option go for it.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

CamperJames, if you post in the Thru Hiking Classes, you may be able to find someone to hitch a ride with.

Your manner of speaking . . . . err, typing, is certainly interesting, makes me think of ol' Matthewksi.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

My phone keyboard was crap.have since changed.thank y'all for all info.better?lol

Images

$193 to rent a car from the airport in Pensacola to drop-off in Gainesville, GA. Can't remember what the Hiker Hostel charges to pick up there, but a shuttle to the hostel, Wally shuttle in the afternoon, nice bunk for the night and a shuttle to Springer or Amicolola the next morning was included.

2 day car rental, unlimited miles, economy or compact type car. You get to keep control over your gear, you decide who rides with you, you decide how fast to go, you choose the route.

Kayak.com
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

If there's any way you can swing spending the night at The Hiker Hostel, that would be great. They can pick you up at various locations where public transit ends (I'm assuming that includes Gainesville, GA.) It's a great place to spend the night before starting a long hike,and they'll give you a great breakfast and a ride to the trailhead on Springer.

Riding Greyhound isn't the most fun way to get anywhere, but it works. Plan on spending a full day to get to Gainesville.

Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++