WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Question about a re-supply point?

So I'm in the planning stages of a e2e northbound. I am good with all of the re-supply points until the trail goes through Jonesville. I know Jonesville doesn't have anything except for a post office. I would like to avoid that due to the post office's hours. I am looking for a spot to re-supply food wont need anything else. So i have two options hitch a ride either to Richmond or Waterbury. Which one is a better choice for a re-supply. I know the e2e guide has a map of waterbury but i cant find a food store that i can re-supply from. I know Richmond has a couple of stores but can someone give me more info about Richmond?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMoose View Post
    So I'm in the planning stages of a e2e northbound. I am good with all of the re-supply points until the trail goes through Jonesville. I know Jonesville doesn't have anything except for a post office. I would like to avoid that due to the post office's hours. I am looking for a spot to re-supply food wont need anything else. So i have two options hitch a ride either to Richmond or Waterbury. Which one is a better choice for a re-supply. I know the e2e guide has a map of waterbury but i cant find a food store that i can re-supply from. I know Richmond has a couple of stores but can someone give me more info about Richmond?
    Richmond has a very nice new supermarket (or at least had last July; it had just expanded into a new location just south of Route 2, in the very center of town, where the train station used to be). If you have any questions about the Jonesville area, contact Carlene/Andy (the E-to-E guide has their contact info).

Images

Thanks for responding. I went ahead and contacted Andy/Carlene. If anyone else has any info please share it still. Thanks

If you head the other direction, to Waterbury, there's a decent Shaw's supermarket on Rt. 100 (going toward Stowe) just outside of Waterbury. It's not far from the Ben and Jerry's factory. Maybe that might work out better?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    Richmond has a very nice new supermarket (or at least had last July; it had just expanded into a new location just south of Route 2, in the very center of town, where the train station used to be). If you have any questions about the Jonesville area, contact Carlene/Andy (the E-to-E guide has their contact info).
    Mama and Papa Bowers are probably getting along in years but they have a great B&B in Richmond - - in 2010, Papa Bowers picked us up at the post office in Jonesville and took us to Richmond - - great grocery store there, plenty of re-supply options - nice restaurant with pizza and beer, and ice cream next door. Here is their phone number (802) 434-2632. There is nothing in Jonesville but the PO does seem to maintain a fully stocked hiker box if you want to try your luck.
    Last edited by Papa D; 05-06-2012 at 08:07.

Images

I heard the Bowers closed their B & B this year. It was a great stop when I did the LT. If you do go to Richmond check out the church there.

Images

Thanks for the info guys. I thinking im going to hitching a ride to Richmond and re-supply there. Thanks again

Richmond is closer. Waterbury has a bigger grocery store and more places to eat.

Hey, just one other thing you might consider -- Stowe has some good resupply options. You can go into town from Nebraska Notch (Lake Mansfield trail, down to the Trout Club), from the Mansfield Toll Road, or from 108. It's a fairly easy hitch any of those ways.

Oh, and Waterbury -- probably the best food option there is a Shaw's supermarket about 1 mile north of the center of town on Rt. 100.

Go for Richmond. Close to Jonesville and was an easy hitch. You may even get a ride from the post office. I had sent a mail drop to Jonesville PO, stayed at Mama Bowers, but ate and shopped in Richmond too. Plenty of Choices. Cool Bagel/Coffee/Sandwich Joint, Pizza Parlour with an Irish Name (good pies!), grocery store that was so cold inside I didn't stay long. Did the trail last September and Mama and Papa Bower told us we were the last guests as they were retiring! Grew up in Peekskill too! Gallows Hill Rd. Have a great time!

++ New Posts ++