WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Partner for Long Trail (VT)

So, I'm a 39yo female who, having never backpacked before, got this idea to hike the Long Trail from end-to-end (270 miles along VT's Green Mountains) as my summer vacation. My friends and family think I'm nutty, but what do they know!? I've done day hikes and have most of the necessary backpacking equipment. I'm looking for someone to join me for all or part of this adventure, or for weekend hikes in New England to test my gear and my legs. I'd most enjoy hiking with someone with the following characteristics: flexibility, sense of humor, drug/alcohol-free, left-leaning politics, and respect for nature and other people. A good dose of nuttiness helps, too.

Default Long Trail

I am also going to do the LT, albeit later in the summer. I want to try a thru hike next year and figure it would be a good warm up. When are you planning your hike?

Images

Default What's so nutty about that?

So, I'm a 39yo female who, having never backpacked before, got this idea to hike the Long Trail from end-to-end (270 miles along VT's Green Mountains) as my summer vacation. My friends and family think I'm nutty, but what do they know!?

Strikes me as a good idea for a summer vacation. I hope you find a suitable hiking partner and have a blast!

I expect you already know about GMC. You'll find plenty of useful information by clicking on the URLs below:

Home Page
    http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

End to End Page
    http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=18

WhiteBlaze.net can help you plan a great vacation. If you have any questions with which we can help, fire away!

We have end-to-enders here, gear experts, people who may be able to help arrange shuttles and provide directions to trailheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper
    So, I'm a 39yo female who, having never backpacked before, got this idea to hike the Long Trail from end-to-end (270 miles along VT's Green Mountains) as my summer vacation. My friends and family think I'm nutty, but what do they know!? I've done day hikes and have most of the necessary backpacking equipment. I'm looking for someone to join me for all or part of this adventure, or for weekend hikes in New England to test my gear and my legs. I'd most enjoy hiking with someone with the following characteristics: flexibility, sense of humor, drug/alcohol-free, left-leaning politics, and respect for nature and other people. A good dose of nuttiness helps, too.

What dates. Almanac and I are going to hike end-to-end (starting at Canada) this year.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Oooh, don't make her do an LT SOBO for her first long distance backpacking trip! I did that to my 16-year old brother in 1979; he still let's me know how tough it was, even though he was in good shape and avoided blisters.

Starting at the VT/MA border is a nice way to break in for the first week or two. Of course, if you start too late it's going to be getting pretty nippy up north come Labor Day. On our hike a cold spell hit in mid-August with temps dropping into the upper 30's at night for a solid week. All I can say is that it's a good thing I found someone's old cotton sweatshirt or I would have frozen to death.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I know a couple of young men who are thruhiking the LT this summer. One I know personally, and he's probably the type you'd like to hike with (unless you'd rather hike with a female, which is understandable). I did a section hike of the AT in Vermont with him last summer. He's known as Anatole on the Backpacker Magazine forums. You might leave him a message there, or leave me a private message in my mailbox here so I can give you his Email address, if you're interested. I'll be hiking with him for a couple of days when he gets to the good swimming areas.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Casper
    I'm looking for someone to join me for all or part of this adventure, or for weekend hikes in New England to test my gear and my legs.
    I have plans to hike the Northville Placid Trail in August, but if you want to do a day hike or two or a couple weekend trips in NH to test out your gear, shoot me a PM. Sometime in July I want to do the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway. That could be done over two weekends, and would be a great test run for your gear to see if it is what you want for the LT.

http://www.msgtc.org/
    Frosty

Images

Default Long Trail guides / hiking partners

Long Trail Guide, 25th ed., 2003
    Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont, 4th ed., 2002
    Long Trail End-to-Ender's Guide, 15th ed., 2006

https://secure.earthlogic.com/gmc/products.php?catid=2

Trail Updates - Relocations
    http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=23

Consider attending a meeting of the Brattleboro Section to find people willing to assist you or find hiking partners. Their site appeared to be down when I last looked. You could get a phone number for a contact person by calling GMC in Waterbury Center.

I'm gonna do a solo nobo LT hike, in late June, early July. Leaning towards July to be past the worst of the black flies.
    Then I may catch a ride to where the LT/AT diverges and do the remander of the AT in VT and also the NH/Maine sections.
    Only soloing beacuse everyone I know thinks walking in the woods for more than an hour is crazy, so good company would be welcome.

Images

I am planning to check out my gear this summer as well, Had not considered the Long Trail since I live in the White Mountains not too far from Mount Washington but I will have to give it some thought. I have a lot of gear to test before my 2011 Thru-Hike.
    I don't smoke, No drugs or Alcohol and not sure what left-leaning politics is since I have no interest in any politics.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    ...not sure what left-leaning politics is since I have no interest in any politics.
    She means left-wing, Liberal/Democrat...

Images

Gotcha,
    Politics is big in this state.
    But I could care less about politics!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    She means left-wing, Liberal/Democrat...
    Well of course, she's from New Hampshire

And she was looking for a partner like 4 years ago! So you guys a bit late to try and hook up. Wonder if she ever made the hike?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

lol. Didn't notice that, sure hope she made it by now. Even walking slow and being a shelter/hostel rat 4 years should be enuf.

OTH, I also plan on going NOBO starting the last week in June. People think I'm
    crazy too; they just don't know the joy.

Casper,
    I am planning on doing my NOBO trip starting in early August but plan on doing some section hikes before then to get in shape. I live near the trail and if you were planning to do a section let me know. Probably starting sections in May depending on weather.

My politics lean to the left, not the fastest hiker (yet) and am easy to get along with according to my friends. Don't spend much time on this forum but am quite active on HammockForums.net.

Good luck on your quest. It sounds like the perfect vacation! I am very excited about my trip!

Bleemus
    East Dorset, VT

Ha! Got me. This post is ancient! Hope she made it!

Well, maybe some of you folks who bit on the '06 post could see about hiking together or at least sharing rides to or from the Northern terminus depending on which way you're going. When I'm closer to making plans for the summer, I might check back myself.

Thumbs up `looking for a partner for sept 2012 end to end long trail N to S

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Sept 2012 would like to start at border and head south flexible any takers [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++