WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

calf muscle.jpg

this is the sort of gun you should pack - - fires a body down the trail at about 3 miles per hour

Images

1) My wife is pretty attractive, but not so insanely hot that anyone who sees her will go in to a rape frenzy. Also I am not so overprotective that every guy talking to her makes me angry. But every guy can tell when another guy is trying to pull something.

2) I'm not carrying specific self defense items, but some of the items I have CAN be used as self defense. i.e. I now plan on bringing a combination sleeping back dryer/RPG launcher.

3) I will now be carrying a gun while driving.

Images

We all live in close quarters sometimes on the trail - - 99 out of 100 hikers are respectful of each other but guys do talk to girls whether they are someone's wife or not - - my wife would be offended if I offered to "take care of her" if some guy was hitting on her - I would expect her to handle the situation just fine - - usually when this happens, she and I both get a laugh out of it even though she is a lot younger and cuter than I am - - modern independent women don't need a guy standing next to her with a weapon of any sort. This is a fun thread but we have two of three of these each season - - you folks are way over-thinking this stuff.

Images

been reading this since last night. pretty funny. i didn't know i was suppose to be WORRIED about my personal safety or bear, boars, snakes, homeless, mice, leeches, beggars and candlestick makers, but TICKS don't get me started. those little buggers scare me. they are sneaky. crawl under your clothes at nite. oh, that reminds me. you may want to get help dealing with your covetous feeling towards your girlfriend. you may find her posting here.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I got the message that there's really no more danger than in town.no drug dealers,druggies.and the kookooness that goes with modern day city life.thanks,was a concern.now not so much.

Perhaps now's a good time to ask if anyone knows how long cheese stays fresh on the trail?

Sorry, just tryin to break the insane cycle of paranoia here.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Perhaps now's a good time to ask if anyone knows how long cheese stays fresh on the trail?
    If we're lucky, Winds will look up the last cheese thread and summarize for us!

Sorry, just trying to break the insane cycle of paranoia here.......
    Nasty olé' moldy cheese could be used as a deterrent on the trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Finn&Fionna View Post
    1) My wife is pretty attractive, but not so insanely hot that anyone who sees her will go in to a rape frenzy. Also I am not so overprotective that every guy talking to her makes me angry. But every guy can tell when another guy is trying to pull something.

2) I'm not carrying specific self defense items, but some of the items I have CAN be used as self defense. i.e. I now plan on bringing a combination sleeping back dryer/RPG launcher.

3) I will now be carrying a gun while driving.

Rape is a crime of aggression and dominance, it has nothing to do with sexual attraction.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry, just tryin to break the insane cycle of paranoia here.......

Perhaps now is a good time to ask what can be learned from the murders of:

Robert Mountford and Susan Ramsey
    & Geoffrey Hood and Molly LaRue

All four were well on their way to completing thru hikes they undertook between the ages of 25 and 27.

And like the thru hiker killed in the 70s and the long distance section hiker killed last year, all four never got to add their names to this list of 11,000 hiker who completed their thru hikes seeing only love along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Rape is a crime of aggression and dominance, it has nothing to do with sexual attraction.
    In short, extreme bullying.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Recently I have been falling upon these articles and posts about people who were mugged, killed, or assaulted on the trail. Even a few people who steal your gear while you sleep. I know this is few and far between, but it has me a bit worried. I am still definitely going on my AT thru in 2013, but I do have serious concerns about my safety and moreso the safety of my wife. The fact that the name "pink blazers" even exists tells me there are more than a handful of guys with less than great intentions towards female hikers. If, say, there were 100 guys like this on the trail (especially in the beginning) I would think 1 or 2 of them (if not more) have their mind in a place that doesn't bode well for women in the woods. Hopefully seeing 6'4 215lb me walking beside my wife will deter them, but that's not a guarantee. I know there's a minuscule chance I'll be in a situation where I need to defend my wife or myself from some creeps, but its enough that I'm considering options.

Is bringing some form of personal defense equipment (I won't list them here) completely out of the question? I don't really want to be the guy who brings a fist to a knife fight should it come to that.

or are my fears totally ridiculous?
    I do think that you are paying a few too many rumors, far too much attention. Yes, there have been some rapes and murders along the Appalachian Trail, there have been rapes and murders EVERYWHERE. I personally feel that the AT is more safe than society...by far. The term 'pink blazing' simply refers to two hikers having sex along the trail, consentual sex, between adults. The term, while inappropriate, does not refer to any form of harassment and or aggressive behaviour towards women. If anything, hikers along the trail are very protective of women hikers, especially solo ones...someone would have a fairly substantial problem on the AT if they started harassing a female hiker in my opinion.

The serious crimes on the trail are well documented...you might want to compare those number to your hometown. Can you run into problems on the AT? Sure can, can you drown in your bathtub...sure can, can you did in an airplane crash...yup, and driving to work every day is far more dangerous than all these combined...but we don't think about that.

The AT is very, very safe. But things do go wrong from time to time. It's called LIFE.

You guys will be fine.

No offense to our Atheist friends on whiteblaze but the A.T. is a great place to learn to "live and let God". Leave your fears at home and enjoy your time on this magical trail. You can't possibly prepare for every bad situation and trying to plan for them, could drive a man insane.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    - - if you carry a firearm on the AT (as a backpacker) you are either:

a)silly and stupid enough to add the weight

b)have unreasonable fears

c) you are ex-military or cop with a screw loose
    Quote Originally Posted by marty1983 View Post
    You can't possibly prepare for every bad situation and trying to plan for them, could drive a man insane.
    Have to agree. Almost by definition, people who let irrational fears govern their judgment and conduct ... are not acting rationally.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I now plan on bringing a combination sleeping back dryer/RPG launcher.
    This sounds awesome, where can I get one?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Perhaps now is a good time to ask what can be learned from the murders of:
    Yes, the lesson is no one has a crystal ball, there's no gaurantees in life, and living is chalk full of risks. Some folks live into their 100's and others die right out of the womb. Sad.

So, I say use the same skills you do in everyday life to prevent and/or minimize a premature demise- common sense.
    Don't dwell on the paranoia and act like a freak. Enjoy life while you have it......

Images

in any survival situation, the most valuable asset is your head, and the ability to think clearly in a stressed situation. trust your gut, and use your intelligence and youll be okay.if something doesnt seem right at a campsite, keep moving, even if it means an illegal stealth site.
    fear is a good thing, it helps keep you alive.Irrational fear can kill you.
    Keep in mind that there were over 1000 unreported incidents of no violence on the AT just yesterday alone, and over 22o millioin unreported incidents of nonviolence in the US.

People who go looking for, or expect trouble often find it. Project a cheerful, friendly attitude and you will be treated in kind.

And we all know how long cheese lasts on the trail - as long as it takes to eat it!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

What I worry about is falling. As in tripping on a rock during a downhill. That or an eye poke from a branch.

On the other hand, every guy I know is trying to pull something when interacting with a pretty attractive woman, though they rarely admit it. It's biological! It's up to you to let your wife deal with it. Most deal very well. When they can't or won't, then you step in. Just make sure it's something more than your own insecurities gone wild.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++