WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dogs, hiking and the heat...

I am leaving in 2 weeks for a hike with my dog. starting at Springer, walking to Fontana. This heat has me concerned (it's 90 degrees here today). How long can a dog hike without water? Is the spacing between water sources sufficient or do I need to carry water for him between water sources? I appreciate any input. thanks.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

You cant' hike miday with most dogs in those temps. IMO it's best to hike the AT in summer with a dog 'desert style.'

Hit the trail as the sun starts rising (or earlier!) and hike till 10 or 11, and siesta near shade/water. When it cools off, hike on.

Your dog can't hike as far as you can without water. If you need to drink , then you need to stop and give your dog a bowl of water. My dog weighs about 1/3 of what I do, and he drinks about 2/3 of what I drink. If you have to carry 1.5 L for yourself to get between water sources, then you probably need to carry an additional 1L for your dog.

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs get dehydrated just as fast as we do, 2x the water you think to carry.... checking maps ahead and see distances between streams - look for mileage gaps and they require a second dromedary bag. A couple of times I gave up some of my water to make it to the next stream. Please keep in mind I section hike the trail.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Definitely plan to carry water for your dog. My dog has much less tolerance for heat than I do. He's fine as long as he can swim and drink every couple of miles, but when it's hot and dry, he fades quickly. Remember they only sweat through the pads of their feet and their tongues. He can't tell you when he's thirsty, so stop before you get thirsty and make sure he has a chance to cool off and rehydrate.

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs can find water better then we can, and they will go looking when the need calls. I'd carry double just to be safe.

++ New Posts ++