WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am a big time thrift store shopper and have never seen any backpacking kit in any of my local stores. I have never seen any at yard sales either. What you want is the REI scratch/dent/yard sales. That is where the good stuff is at.

Images

Some people actually do put themselves through college. That's prolly hard for some people on here to understand (I actually saved my parents a lot of money that way). Me myself, I can never afford to be a real hiker (dam hiking pants alone cost $60 or more at the outfitters). I'll prolly die on the AT in my blue jeans. I don't have anything to donate.

What some of the people on here are saying about outfitting yourself on the cheap is true. Think of the Hobos in the 1930's. Bandanas tied on sticks carried over their backs. Stonewall Jackson's confederate soldiers could do 40 miles in a day with blanket rolls and guns and ammo. Have fun. Hope to see you on the AT.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I beg to differ, but so many of my friends throughout the country are huge into yard sales and Goodwill and Salvation Army. The equipment like sleeping bags, tents, backpacks and hiking boots is EVERYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Some people actually do put themselves through college. That's prolly hard for some people on here to understand (I actually saved my parents a lot of money that way). Me myself, I can never afford to be a real hiker (dam hiking pants alone cost $60 or more at the outfitters). I'll prolly die on the AT in my blue jeans. I don't have anything to.
    Gray: I may be completely wrong, but I would wager that most of the people on this site who attended college DID put themselves through college with very little help from their parents. I know that I did. I don't get a sense that the "rich and privileged" are hiking the AT and hanging out on WB.

Images

Yeah, I was just assuming again. You know we old people are opinionated. Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Yeah, I was just assuming again. You know we old people are opinionated. Have a good day.
    LOL. Like I'm not opinionated!

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    I beg to differ, but so many of my friends throughout the country are huge into yard sales and Goodwill and Salvation Army. The equipment like sleeping bags, tents, backpacks and hiking boots is EVERYWHERE.
    My local stores don't have this stuff and that is a data point, not a definitive statement. You and your buddies might have had good luck, but you can't generalize that this stuff is everywhere.

You need to chill, man, like for this whole thread in general.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    My local stores don't have this stuff and that is a data point, not a definitive statement. You and your buddies might have had good luck, but you can't generalize that this stuff is everywhere.
    You're absolutely right in that who am I to say that backpacking gear is everywhere. I'll just say that that I have about 50 friends in all parts of the country who tell me that these places are practically giving gear away.

I do feel pretty strongly about this issue and I am opinionated. My intent is not to rock the boat, but we all aren't going to always think alike, are we? If it bothers you that I am expressing this -I'm sorry, but some people are just more aggressive than others.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 05-08-2012 at 10:33.

Images

1. Does your college have an outdoor gear rental/loaner facility? Ask them how/when they get rid of or update gear. Explain your situation to them and maybe they'll funnel the used gear towards you!

2. Job: please make sure you are paying cash for your expenses. Try NOT to fall into the college loan trap, so at the end of your degree, you aren't stuck with the bill for decades after. Assuming you aren't like many graduates who plan to default and leave us tax-payers with the bill.

3. Part time job at Good-will, Salvation Army thrift store: you can scope out the incoming donations for anything FIRST!

4. Local Scout Troops for upgraded/discarded gear. Volunteer time for gear?

5. Steep and Cheap dot com.

6. Local outdoor/hiking type clubs. Volunteer time for gear?

7. Part time UPS/FedEx/US Post Office driver: watch for packages from REI, LL Bean, Steepandcheap, etc. Delay the packages for a day or two, re-seal what you don't want and claim you dumped any "missing" packages on the front porch. No, wait. Wrong response. Sorry.

Good luck. You may need to have patience in your quest for gear. Not saying it's you in particular, but many young pups seem to want everything NOW. I've learned (STEEP learning curve) that good gear is worth the time, wait and moderate cash outlay.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

Good luck. You may need to have patience in your quest for gear. Not saying it's you in particular, but many young pups seem to want everything NOW. I've learned (STEEP learning curve) that good gear is worth the time, wait and moderate cash outlay.
    Thank You....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    I know this is a long shot, but I figure many ... may have gear that they don't want or use. ... Thanks for anything!
    Mr Miner, you have a list of what you need? I do have gear I don't want or use. Since you asked respectfully and politely, I'm happy to give you some gear ... instead of an unwarranted lecture.

I have searched and searched for backpacking gear at Goodwill and yard sales over the years, with absolutely no luck. It's purely a hit-and-miss, all-or-nothing fishing expedition, in my experience.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    1. Does your college have an outdoor gear rental/loaner facility? Ask them how/when they get rid of or update gear. Explain your situation to them and maybe they'll funnel the used gear towards you!

2. Job: please make sure you are paying cash for your expenses. Try NOT to fall into the college loan trap, so at the end of your degree, you aren't stuck with the bill for decades after. Assuming you aren't like many graduates who plan to default and leave us tax-payers with the bill.

3. Part time job at Good-will, Salvation Army thrift store: you can scope out the incoming donations for anything FIRST!

4. Local Scout Troops for upgraded/discarded gear. Volunteer time for gear?

5. Steep and Cheap dot com.

6. Local outdoor/hiking type clubs. Volunteer time for gear?

7. Part time UPS/FedEx/US Post Office driver: watch for packages from REI, LL Bean, Steepandcheap, etc. Delay the packages for a day or two, re-seal what you don't want and claim you dumped any "missing" packages on the front porch. No, wait. Wrong response. Sorry.

Old Hiker: Excellent advice! I absolutely cracked up over #7. You're a funny guy! All great suggestions.

Images

I wonder if thoes of you that are giving him lectures look at homeless people this way. I can just hear you say...'what?! You want money? How about use the $4 you spend on the MD 20/20 and get a burger! and a job for that matter!'

yeesh. Miner, like some of the others, I have some stuff. Write a list up of what you need and what you might be willing to pay/trade them for. Might get more positive replies if you are willing to trade...or at least pay shipping.

LOL. Like I'm not opinionated!
    Well, with 124 posts in two weeks, I'd say that you have a lot that you want to share.

I've a couple extra Appalachian Pages NOBO guidebooks, Mr. Miner -- I'll be happy to mail you one if you're interested.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Mr Miner, you have a list of what you need? I do have gear I don't want or use. Since you asked respectfully and politely, I'm happy to give you some gear ... instead of an unwarranted lecture.

I have searched and searched for backpacking gear at Goodwill and yard sales over the years, with absolutely no luck. It's purely a hit-and-miss, all-or-nothing fishing expedition, in my experience.

RainMan

At least my lectures are free. If they were college lectures, he'd be paying a lot of $$s.

I've not had good luck at the thrift stores either. Now the discount rack at an outfitters can have some good finds ocasionally.

LOL. Yes, the ones of us who actually ​donate to this site usually do have a lot to share. I just don't want to share it with MrMoocher.

WIAPilot: While I am not very active on this forum I would like to say that for someone who has been here for less than a month you truly have a whole lot "We" and "Us" to say. The kid asked a simple question and while you are entitled to your opinion, state your opinion and move on. Do you have nothing better to do with your time than heckle this guy? Some folks are willing to donate and some are not. You are obviously not, so based on the title of this thread you do not belong here.

Sorry I have nothing to dontate or more to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    WIAPilot: While I am not very active on this forum I would like to say that for someone who has been here for less than a month you truly have a whole lot "We" and "Us" to say. The kid asked a simple question and while you are entitled to your opinion, state your opinion and move on. Do you have nothing better to do with your time than heckle this guy? Some folks are willing to donate and some are not. You are obviously not, so based on the title of this thread you do not belong here.

Sorry I have nothing to dontate or more to add.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As am I. But unlike you, I would never presume to tell someone on this site that they didn't belong here. It takes nerve to do this when you won't even cough up $10 to help support this site so that you can tell people like me off. I guess the fact that I mentioned donating to this site hit a nerve with you.
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 05-08-2012 at 12:45.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. As am I. But unlike you, I would never presume to tell someone on this site that they didn't belong here. It takes nerve to do this when you won't even cough up $10 to help support this site so that you can tell people like me off. I guess the fact that I mentioned donating to this site hit a nerve with you.
    We've been told more than once that all members are equal, regardless of donation status. A few times I've pointed out that some people like to use their "donating memberships" to denigrate non-donators and I've been asked to point to a post where that has occurred. Well here ya go!

As I've said from the start, I'll donate when all indications of members' donation status are forever removed. Otherwise I never will!

If you've got something to say, then say it. You silver membership carries no weight.

I would never presume to tell someone on this site that they didn't belong here. It takes nerve to do this when you won't even cough up $10 to help support this site so that you can tell people like me off. I guess the fact that I mentioned donating to this site hit a nerve with you.
    Think the suggestion is that that you perhaps don't have anything to add to this thread and might want to move on as far as this particular thread goes. As for donations, you don't have any knowledge of who has donated in the past or may donate in the future. Sometimes we all need to listen and not talk so much.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++